Hacking Why are so many people wanting to remove CFW?

NitroCipher

GBAtemp's Resident Alchemist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I personally don't understand why people would want to remove CFW. For one, it seems like it would be a pain to do. Also, if you intend on selling the system, you could probably sell it for even more than you would normally. The only reason I can think of is if it was physically damaged and being sent to Ninty for repairs. (In most threads I have seen previously, this hasn't been the case.)

Side question: Has there been any evidence of Ninty checking for CFW when doing repairs?

Last edited by NitroCipher,

Pyra

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
usually i imagine newer people have this false idea that something broke because of the cfw itself and want to remove it

or they worry that ninty will find out when they send it in fo repairs and void their warranty, like you said

or they also worry that they won't be able to sell a hacked system, or they wanna sell it like it's brand new or something, though you have a good point in that people might pay extra for a hacked system

Sent from my SM-G360T using Tapatalk

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Because they literally have no idea what they are doing. They assume running a CFW will get them banned, they assume every crash/black screen means something is wrong, etc. Basically their lack of knowledge creates fear and they let the fear get the best of them.

CMDreamer

Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Well can't think of a real valid reason. Each one must have its own.

But myself, when buying a console, if it has CFW it is worth less, not more. I prefer modding it myself, and not taking the risk of buying a console that has been wrongly modded (most of the time that's a reason to sell it and try to delete CFW).

proflayton123

The Temp Loaf'
Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Japan
Well can't think of a real valid reason. Each one must have its own.

But myself, when buying a console, if it has CFW it is worth less, not more. I prefer modding it myself, and not taking the risk of buying a console that has been wrongly modded (most of the time that's a reason to sell it and try to delete CFW).

Less fortunate if it's on 11.4/11.5 though

mrjoshuaco

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It makes sense in some countries if you're considering a sale due the ambiguous legality of circumvention. eBay, and to a lesser extent Craigslist, remove modded system listings, or perhaps they want to trade it in (without the stigma of piracy), etc. While your buddy down the street may pay more for a modded console, it's not necessarily true someone else might (or even know what the fuck you're talking about). Either way, the endgame of system modification is about "choice", and that includes the choice to remove it. OP had a fair question; I'm primarily referring to the inevitable CFW zealot shitposts that follow such questions/requests.

Reactions: Ryccardo

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I personally don't understand why people would want to remove CFW.
Their console, their right to freedom of choice (what hacking, homebrew, and piracy all are supposed to defend), our right to ignore what we arbitrarily and personally consider stupid questions

D

Deleted User

I kind of debunked this awhile ago.Its because of value and ebay.When you sell a banned b9s 3ds and you dont say anything so you can charge full price (more than what the 3ds ls worth slnce its modded) you are risking a refund when a new banwave hits or your public seed goes down.This makes it hard to sell the console in general unless you put a stealth patch on the ctrnand and sell it as a stock console,so if it gets banned it won't be your fault if the buyer can't find out its modded.In other words its easier to sell the console with a stealth patch banned then sell it unmodded banned,mainly because you need a NAND backup that you made before installing b9s so you can revert back to stock without bricking.Hopefully this helps all the "my brother wants to know how to unmod his 3ds,personal reasons" comments

Last edited by ,

rafaeloz

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Burkina Faso
The best portable device ever with CFW . Better than original.
I can play NDS, GBA, GB, GBC , SNES, NEO GEO, CPS1 and 2 , Genesys and even Pc Engine directly on home screen without the need to use emulators and tweak things up.
All with injectors and fowarders found here on GbaTemp(thank the incredible users here).

This people don't know what they are missing.
Like Wii in table console , 3ds have the best cfw ever on a portable one.

D

Deleted User

The best portable device ever with CFW . Better than original.
I can play NDS, GBA, GB, GBC , SNES, NEO GEO, CPS1 and 2 , Genesys and even Pc Engine directly on home screen without the need to use emulators and tweak things up.
All with injectors and fowarders found here on GbaTemp(thank the incredible users here).

This people don't know what they are missing.
Like Wii in table console , 3ds have the best cfw ever on a portable one.
I don't think you used a PS Vita/TV with CFW. Perfect emulators with no issue unlike on the 3DS with many bugs and glitches

SCOTT0852

shiny rubber creature
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
They think things like
"o noes!! my eshoop doesn"t work after regen changing! cfw cau sed ths!"
And then they wonder why all their system titles disappeared from the home menu.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1BDM1oBRJ8 +1