Why are GBA Flashcarts so expensive?

Discussion in 'GBA - Flashing Hardware and Software' started by DarkFlare69, Mar 6, 2015.

1. DarkFlare69
    OP

DarkFlare69 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 8, 2014
    United States
    Ohio
    Can someone quote me when they answer? I never look in this section.

Lately, I was looking at GBA Flashcarts, like EZ-Flash IV and stuff. Just wondering, why are they so expensive? What's the very cheapest one? I don't care if it's shit.

They're so expensive it'd hardly even be worth it. I could get like 25 games for that price.

Margen67 likes this.
  2. leandogo

leandogo Newbie

Newcomer
    Mar 6, 2015
    Peru
  3. how_do_i_do_that

how_do_i_do_that Blue Wizard is about to die.

May 16, 2008
    Antarctica
    You have insufficient posts to view user location.
    NOR flash memory cost alot back then. The PSRAM also costs alot back then. This was before removable media showed up and became cost effective.

Compared to a DS flashcart, the DS flashcart has no NOR or PSRAM. You are basically accessing storage on the microSD for the ROM data and save data as well.

Nearly everything you can find in a GBA cart was internalized in the DS to make the cost and development of DS games relatively cheap for them. Due to this, everything that is cheap for legit manufactures also made it cheap for DS flashcart makers.

4. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006
  5. xy1154

xy1154 Member

Newcomer
    Feb 4, 2015
    Switzerland
    Somewhere
    Some of them are very expensive due to superior hardware and RTC, like M3 Perfect or EZ-Flash 2/3.
    As for the cheapest one, I did find cheaper cards which are usually sold at about $10 (in China), like Supercard-SD or some low-capacity ones.

Margen67 likes this.
  6. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006
    Supercard SD original and clones suck at game compatibility and framerate. For about 35usd better get a nowadays EZ-Flash IV for microSD SDHC support, RTC patch for Pokemon games, good game compatibility and no framerate problems.

M3 Perfect or EZ-Flash 2/3 makes not such a big difference, even worse in some aspects, and are hard to find nowadays. Makes no sense to pay +100usd for cards which doesn't even support more than 2GB memory.

Margen67 likes this.
  7. albertar

albertar GBAtemp Regular

Jan 5, 2015
    United States
    actually the m3 perfect and the latter carts are considered superior as it has a rtc and can support up to 32mb of ram as opposed to other devices that have to be loaded onto the NOR. I have an m3 perfect sd and I think it's one of the best carts out there! I can only get the 1gb card to work however.

8. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006

And where can I get M3 Perfect actually?

Margen67 likes this.
  9. Lemmy Koopa

Lemmy Koopa M3 Perfect fanboy

Sep 17, 2012
    United States
    Ohio

Nowhere ever. No one has them. Anyone who does will never sell them.

I don't get why people complain about Flash cart prices. I had to pay almost 100 each for my 2 flash carts I've had. How much are they now, 40? Pfft. That's cheaper than a new game for a system these days. 40 dollars for every single GBA, NES, GB/GBC, Famicom, Master System, Colecovision, etc. On the go, or on a TV via GB player. Why complain?

Plstic, migles and VinsCool like this.
  10. Localhorst86

Localhorst86 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    My Nintendo works for Dad
    I have also been looking for a cheap GBA flash cart. I still have my old Flash2Advance 128M card but that is basically useless. there are no drivers for my windows 8.1 x64 system and I do not really want to run a VM with an ancient OS like XP.

So I have been looking around and found the prices for GBA flashcarts - allthough a lot cheaper than in the olden days - to still be surprisingly high. I was able to find the Supercard Mini for 20$ and an ezflash IV MicroSDHC for $35, both on aliexpress. So I decided to get the EZIV as that's probably better than the Supercard.

11. 160R

160R Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Dec 12, 2006
    Again, you will find it cheaper on chollomedia.es than Aliexpress.

Margen67 likes this.
  12. Localhorst86

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    damnit, didn't find that shop in my google search. That would have been perfect since they ship from EU so there's no chance this will be held at customs. But my order from china has already shipped. Oh well, I'll survive. But that shop is bookmarked. Thanks.

13. Shadow#1

Shadow#1 Wii & 3DS Softmod Expert

Nov 21, 2005
    United States
    LOL the skiddies of today bitching about flashcart prices its because they r spoiled by the $4 R4's my first gba flashcart costed me $300

Lemmy Koopa likes this.
  14. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    remember the cost of a doctor v64 for n64? some of them were sold without a cd drive to make it cheaper but it was just ~100 bucks less IIRC
    i think the price was over $400?

btw this thread is kinda old :/ but DarkFlare69 with so many options to play gbagames nowadays, like phones tablets comptuter almost any console capable of homebrew etc
    we are in 2015
    it makes sence they are kinda expensive.. gba is 10+ (almost 15) years old.. only a small group of people will want them.. nowadays if someone wants to play old games they do it on phones...
    therefore, if i want to really use my game boy, i will get a card of 50 bucks its the price of a new game anyway..
    if you get a card to keep forever your games i think its worth.. i am super happy with 50 bucks price..
    if i dont sell them, or damage them... i know in 10-20 years i will grab them and play all the old games..

15. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom
    For what it is worth http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/nin...dhc-slot-2-gba-gbm-sp-nds-nds-lite-p-861.html is based in Germany.

Have there been many/any stoppages in German/EU customs then?

Margen67 likes this.
  16. Localhorst86

Jul 17, 2014
    Germany
    That's the one I found, but shipping is another 4,90€. I haven't had anything stopped at customs in ages, last time (4 years back) was a shipment of t-shirts from the US. It all depends on how the consignor declares the value on the box so with shipments from non-EU countries there's always a risk, i guess.

17. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    these newer flashcard can do stuffs like hm .. play on NDS/ gba player, transfer to pokemon / link with gamecube games and these stuff? õ3o

Margen67 likes this.
  18. Vipera

Vipera Banned

Banned
    Aug 22, 2013
    United States
    Away from this shithole
    I remember when DS flashcard cost almost as much as an actual DS :lol:

19. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    newer? the gba flashcarts are old.. unless you mean the new version of ez iv, but thats just revision, not actually new..

yeah, you can use ez iv (or other gba flascarts) to play on NDS/gbaplayer or the original game boy advance sp micro and knuckles
    as for transfer pokemon to diamond pearl etc its not possible.

i don't own a gba (just own a ds lite) can't test link with another gba games..

link with gamecube games i also don't think they work, it depends on the game, on how they link..

you can transfer from a ez 3 in 1 to a Diamond\Pearl on a flashcart. but i dont think its possible with original games

to transfer saves from real gba games to pc\other flashcarts or emulators (basically extract a .sav from a real card) or vice versa you must get a DS flashcart..

Sliter and Margen67 like this.
  20. Sliter

Sliter GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 7, 2013
    Brazil
    ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ
    actually I have an ezflahs 3in1 but I'm not using it much .. I would like to have one I could play on my actuall gba XD and I wanted do stuffs like the communication with gamecube .. I Know if you do it ingame (like sonic advance ) it would work, but if it need to load your save I'm not sure if will work :/ some gba games are jard and expensive to get, if this works would be great :B lol

And actually you can't do ez3in1 to original game, unless you use an code or something , I saw you need a modded DS rom to make it work :v