Hacking Why are GBA Flashcarts so expensive?

DarkFlare69

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can someone quote me when they answer? I never look in this section.

Lately, I was looking at GBA Flashcarts, like EZ-Flash IV and stuff. Just wondering, why are they so expensive? What's the very cheapest one? I don't care if it's shit.

They're so expensive it'd hardly even be worth it. I could get like 25 games for that price.

Reactions: Margen67

how_do_i_do_that

Blue Wizard is about to die.
Trophies
You have insufficient posts to view user location.
XP
Country
Antarctica
Can someone quote me when they answer? I never look in this section.

Lately, I was looking at GBA Flashcarts, like EZ-Flash IV and stuff. Just wondering, why are they so expensive? What's the very cheapest one? I don't care if it's shit.

They're so expensive it'd hardly even be worth it. I could get like 25 games for that price.

NOR flash memory cost alot back then. The PSRAM also costs alot back then. This was before removable media showed up and became cost effective.

Compared to a DS flashcart, the DS flashcart has no NOR or PSRAM. You are basically accessing storage on the microSD for the ROM data and save data as well.

Nearly everything you can find in a GBA cart was internalized in the DS to make the cost and development of DS games relatively cheap for them. Due to this, everything that is cheap for legit manufactures also made it cheap for DS flashcart makers.

xy1154

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Switzerland
Some of them are very expensive due to superior hardware and RTC, like M3 Perfect or EZ-Flash 2/3.
As for the cheapest one, I did find cheaper cards which are usually sold at about $10 (in China), like Supercard-SD or some low-capacity ones.

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Supercard SD original and clones suck at game compatibility and framerate. For about 35usd better get a nowadays EZ-Flash IV for microSD SDHC support, RTC patch for Pokemon games, good game compatibility and no framerate problems.

M3 Perfect or EZ-Flash 2/3 makes not such a big difference, even worse in some aspects, and are hard to find nowadays. Makes no sense to pay +100usd for cards which doesn't even support more than 2GB memory.

albertar

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
actually the m3 perfect and the latter carts are considered superior as it has a rtc and can support up to 32mb of ram as opposed to other devices that have to be loaded onto the NOR. I have an m3 perfect sd and I think it's one of the best carts out there! I can only get the 1gb card to work however.

160R

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
actually the m3 perfect and the latter carts are considered superior as it has a rtc and can support up to 32mb of ram as opposed to other devices that have to be loaded onto the NOR. I have an m3 perfect sd and I think it's one of the best carts out there! I can only get the 1gb card to work however.

And where can I get M3 Perfect actually?

Lemmy Koopa

M3 Perfect fanboy
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
And where can I get M3 Perfect actually?

Nowhere ever. No one has them. Anyone who does will never sell them.

I don't get why people complain about Flash cart prices. I had to pay almost 100 each for my 2 flash carts I've had. How much are they now, 40? Pfft. That's cheaper than a new game for a system these days. 40 dollars for every single GBA, NES, GB/GBC, Famicom, Master System, Colecovision, etc. On the go, or on a TV via GB player. Why complain?

Localhorst86

Robert'); DROP TABLE members;--
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I have also been looking for a cheap GBA flash cart. I still have my old Flash2Advance 128M card but that is basically useless. there are no drivers for my windows 8.1 x64 system and I do not really want to run a VM with an ancient OS like XP.

So I have been looking around and found the prices for GBA flashcarts - allthough a lot cheaper than in the olden days - to still be surprisingly high. I was able to find the Supercard Mini for 20$ and an ezflash IV MicroSDHC for $35, both on aliexpress. So I decided to get the EZIV as that's probably better than the Supercard.

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
damnit, didn't find that shop in my google search. That would have been perfect since they ship from EU so there's no chance this will be held at customs. But my order from china has already shipped. Oh well, I'll survive. But that shop is bookmarked. Thanks.

Shadow#1

Wii, 3DS Softmod & Dumpster Diving Expert
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
LOL the skiddies of today bitching about flashcart prices its because they r spoiled by the $4 R4's my first gba flashcart costed me $300

Reactions: Lemmy Koopa

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
LOL the skiddies of today bitching about flashcart prices its because they r spoiled by the $4 R4's my first gba flashcart costed me $300

remember the cost of a doctor v64 for n64? some of them were sold without a cd drive to make it cheaper but it was just ~100 bucks less IIRC
i think the price was over $400?

btw this thread is kinda old :/ but DarkFlare69 with so many options to play gbagames nowadays, like phones tablets comptuter almost any console capable of homebrew etc
we are in 2015
it makes sence they are kinda expensive.. gba is 10+ (almost 15) years old.. only a small group of people will want them.. nowadays if someone wants to play old games they do it on phones...
therefore, if i want to really use my game boy, i will get a card of 50 bucks its the price of a new game anyway..
if you get a card to keep forever your games i think its worth.. i am super happy with 50 bucks price..
if i dont sell them, or damage them... i know in 10-20 years i will grab them and play all the old games..

FAST6191

Techromancer
Editorial Team
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom

Localhorst86

Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
For what it is worth http://www.flashlinker-shop.com/nin...dhc-slot-2-gba-gbm-sp-nds-nds-lite-p-861.html is based in Germany.

Have there been many/any stoppages in German/EU customs then?

That's the one I found, but shipping is another 4,90€. I haven't had anything stopped at customs in ages, last time (4 years back) was a shipment of t-shirts from the US. It all depends on how the consignor declares the value on the box so with shipments from non-EU countries there's always a risk, i guess.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
these newer flashcard can do stuffs like hm .. play on NDS/ gba player, transfer to pokemon / link with gamecube games and these stuff? õ3o

newer? the gba flashcarts are old.. unless you mean the new version of ez iv, but thats just revision, not actually new..

yeah, you can use ez iv (or other gba flascarts) to play on NDS/gbaplayer or the original game boy advance sp micro and knuckles
as for transfer pokemon to diamond pearl etc its not possible.

i don't own a gba (just own a ds lite) can't test link with another gba games..

link with gamecube games i also don't think they work, it depends on the game, on how they link..

you can transfer from a ez 3 in 1 to a Diamond\Pearl on a flashcart. but i dont think its possible with original games

to transfer saves from real gba games to pc\other flashcarts or emulators (basically extract a .sav from a real card) or vice versa you must get a DS flashcart..

Reactions: Sliter and Margen67

Sliter

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
newer? the gba flashcarts are old.. unless you mean the new version of ez iv, but thats just revision, not actually new..

yeah, you can use ez iv (or other gba flascarts) to play on NDS/gbaplayer or the original game boys
as for transfer pokemon to diamond pearl etc its not possible.

i don't own a gba (just own a ds lite) can't test link with another gba games..

link with gamecube games i also don't think they work, it depends on the game, on how they link..

you can transfer from a ez 3 in 1 to a Diamond\Pearl on a flashcart. but i dont think its possible with original games

to transfer saves from real gba games to pc\other flashcarts or emulators (basically extract a .sav from a real card) or vice versa you must get a DS flashcart..

actually I have an ezflahs 3in1 but I'm not using it much .. I would like to have one I could play on my actuall gba XD and I wanted do stuffs like the communication with gamecube .. I Know if you do it ingame (like sonic advance ) it would work, but if it need to load your save I'm not sure if will work :/ some gba games are jard and expensive to get, if this works would be great :B lol

And actually you can't do ez3in1 to original game, unless you use an code or something , I saw you need a modded DS rom to make it work :v

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @Psionic Roshambo i didn't go amd for one specific reason, the AI performance is way behind nvidia
    +1
    i just got a 4070ti
    oh yeah also DLSS is a pretty solid reason to go nvidia since fidelityfx is kinda crap
    and now with the rtx video upscaling, and sdr->hdr conversion, even more reason to go nvidia
    both of which work well in potplayer
    amd is a bit cheaper though
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Cheaper and they are less stingy with the RAM not a big issue now but I can imagine in a yard or two things might be different
    Year not yard lol
    the vram is one advantage when it comes to AI but ends up being slower even with that and really AI is the only use case that needs more than 12gb vram right now
    Interesting lol
    I think I watched a video where two games at 4K where eating just over 16GB of RAM and it's the one case where the 7900XT and XTX pulled ahead (minus RTX of course)
    So my opinion is that they could age a bit better in the future, and maybe AMD will continue improving them via drivers like they tend to do. No guarantee there but they have done it in the past. Just a feeling I have.
    cyberpunk at 4k without DLSS/fidelityfx *might* exceed 12gb
    +1
    but that game barely runs at native 4k
    I think it was some newer games and probably poorly optimized PS4 or PS5 ports
    they definitely will age better but i feel dlss might outweigh that since it looks about as good as native resolution and much less demanding
    +1
    When I played Cyberpunk on my old 2080 Ti it sucked lol
    AMD could introduce something comparable to DLSS but nvidia's got a lot more experience with that
    least amd 7xxx has tensor cores which the previous generations didn't so there is the potential for AI upscaling
    They have FSR or whatever it's called and yeah it's still not great
    so AMD seem to finally be starting to take AI seriously
    Oh yeah those new 8000 CPUs have AI cores built in that's interesting
    Maybe they plan on offloading to the CPU?
    Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: Would be kinda cool to have the CPU and GPU working in random more