Gaming Why are all the best RPGs forgein

thecrash1973

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I was just wondering why are all the best RPGs are either forgein or on completly different systems.

Its alright for people of the region games are made to play both forgein games and English games, also there are a lot of games out there on differnet systems and I know its because they have more power and better graphics.

GeekyGuy

Professional loafer
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
When you say "foreign," you mean Japanese, really. And generally speaking, I'd say that 1.) Japan seems to love RPGs the way Americans seem to love FPSes, and 2.) The Japanese seem to make RPGs fairly well.

Why we don't see many of the best RPGs outside of Japan? Well, in fact, we do. They just take longer to get here. If you're a publisher, you want to make as much money as possible, obviously. So, if you're Japanese and making a game, you can get it out in Japan, and while it's making money for you, have a team work on localizing it for other regions.

Of course, not all games have an appeal to publishers for projected profits, and well, they don't get picked up. Or certain games perhaps just wouldn't translate well because of various cultural aspects inherent in the games themselves.

But if you look at most of the really big, high-profile RPGs, they've either already been published outside of Japan, or are on their way.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
Most of the RPG's are from Japan to begin with.
All the final fantasies/dragon quests etc etc...

Most just don't get a translation.

Bob Evil

The Department of Home-Made Insecurity
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Let's not forget, Japanese developers make as many crap games as Western developers do
smile.gif

Plus, have you ever thought that in Japan, there may be people wondering the exact same thing about Western games, that you are wondering about Japanese games?

The grass is always greener ...

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
Let's not forget, Japanese developers make as many crap games as Western developers do
smile.gif

Plus, have you ever thought that in Japan, there may be people wondering the exact same thing about Western games, that you are wondering about Japanese games?

off-topic

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
thebobevil said:
smile.gif

Well not really since the OP mentioned RPG's.
There aren't THAT many western RPG's :/

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Another mod wannabe
tongue.gif

I like how you posted that, and nothing contributory to the topic
wink.gif

As xcalibur was kind enough to point out, I was not off-topic ... I was merely asking the OP to reflect on the overall situation.

IBNobody

I try to keep myself amused.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Most of the best console RPGs are from Japan. (There are exceptions, though.)

All the best PC RPGs are from the US and Europe. That's because the Japanese don't bother with porting most of their PC games.

Unchi-san

Unchi on a stick! yay~
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
thebobevil said:
smile.gif

To add to this topic then...

In general, Japanese people do not care for Western video game production as avidly as Westerners for Japanese video games.

Why is that? Because Japanese game developers are the predominant console video-game developers in the world. They create many more classic console video games and have alot more classic developers (nintendo, sony, square, etc.) So of course Westerners are going to have some kind of attraction for Japanese video games.... They have more developers w/ proven track records of creating great console video games.

Thats w/ video games... now PC games japan doesn't do jack shit w/, so they might wonder how PC games are in the western world... But most japanese people play video games w/ consoles so I dunno.

thecrash1973

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah, but I have noticed that sometimes we do get some RPGs before Japan, but not all of them are as good as there's.

Do we have nothing but crappy game creates in the Western area, or are we just lazy, and before you say yes I am aware of the amunt of other game systems around but I better there really isn't that much that needs changing for then to allow for this.

Lumstar

Princess
Trophies
Website
eonhack.blogspot.com
XP
Country
United States
The Japanese overall lost interest in PC games. They still get visual novels and freeware/etc. Not much else comes out there lately.

It used to several years back. Mega Man X5, Mega Man X8, and Sonic Adventure DX did. But... Warriors Orochi is one of the few recent action games on PC in Japan.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
Well, Japan got lots of imagination to begin with, maybe eating raw fish everyday got something to do with it.

And RPGs are originally from Japan, SQUARE ENIX, Konami, CAPCOM, you name it, they're from Japan.

So, RPGs are 'Japan first'

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, RPGs are not originally from Japan. Do some research, before posting something like that.

They are a Western invention ... whether it be in video game or pen&paper form.

Do you people not know your games history?

Ultima, Might & Magic, Rogue, Dungeon, Adventure, Moria, Apshai ... the list goes on.

No Western RPGs, in the late 70s/early 80s = no Japanese RPGs now.

Also, not everyone in Japan eats raw fish every day.

xcalibur

Gbatemp's Chocolate Bear
Trophies
XP
Country
thecrash1973 said:
Yeah, but I have noticed that sometimes we do get some RPGs before Japan, but not all of them are as good as there's.

Do we have nothing but crappy game creates in the Western area, or are we just lazy, and before you say yes I am aware of the amunt of other game systems around but I better there really isn't that much that needs changing for then to allow for this.

Not really. You say crappy games but what you mean is games you aren't interested in.
Although its true that western RPG's aren't top class, we pretty much dominate the FPS genre.
Which is what the Japanese dislike. This is partly the reason the original xbox sold so poorly there.

@thebobevil: I think you mean No Western RPGs, in the late 70s/early 80s =/= no Japanese RPGs now.

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
No, I meant it how I wrote it ... the Japanese rarely invent, they usually only copy or renovate.

If they have nothing to work from, they have no base ... no base = no product.

Look at their cinema, for example ... no American westerns or swashbucklers, no chambara ... that's why the Magnificent Seven amuses many film historians, as it was an American remake of a Japanese film that was inspired by American Westerns in the first place
smile.gif

Kurosawa was a great director, but he only made Samurai versions of Westerns, and Samurai versions of Shakespeare.

I will now leave the floor open for all the Wapanese to flame me
tongue.gif

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
1)Is it? I searched Wikipedia but they never told me when Japanese thought about RPGs

2)Game consoles are from Japan, or at least I thought ATARI, NES, SEGA was from Japan, and Western ones (except XBOX, whixh was issued by Microsoft, a big company in the first place) didn't make it.

3)How do you describe RPG? What I mean here is about leveling up, battles and stories, which might prove to be difficult in papers

4)No Nintendo back then, no GBAtemp now

5)Can you identify a joke when you see one? Sorry, your avatar told me enough

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
With all the Wapanese and bigots on this forum, it's hard to spot so-called jokes, when they are wrapped in bigotry and stereotyping.

Plus, who in their right minds uses Wikipedia as a source, anymore?

The West produced consoles back in the 70s ... years before the Japanese.

The Japanese strength is their ability to work with what is already available, and to improve and expand on it ... their weakness is the inability to invent for themselves.

Nintendo used to make playing cards and dice ... no Western games industry = no Japanese games industry = Nintendo fanboys better like to play cards
tongue.gif

Oh, and Atari were American ... do Nolan Bushnell and Ted Dabney sound like Japanese names to you?

Too many Westerners have a knee-jerk adoration of all that is Japanese, and a loathing of anything coming out of the West.

Jeez, embrace your heritages, people.

thecrash1973

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Yeah but they don't make remakes of old classics such as secret of mana, phantasy star, secret of evermore and good ones like that (except if they get round to making a US release of the final fantasy's), and when I say crappy I din't mean games I don't like just some are crappy in comparison to some of the older games.

I have played many RPGs, even some of the crappy ones other can be really basic to the ones that are made in Japan.

Raestloz

GBATemp's Lone Wolf
Trophies
XP
Country
Indonesia
1)What consoles? Never heard of 'em, sorry.
2)Oh, and do ATARI still here today? Sorry, just reminding
3)I'm NOT a western, jeez, look at the flag icon people.
4)Why don't you just answer my question about the 'battle system in paper'.
5)Plus, what source do you suggest then?
6)Jeez, now I know why they tried to ban hooligans from World Cup event, look at how they start war over internet!

Bob Evil

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Atari, these days, are a European company.

You want the battle system question answered? Okay, it originated in western tabletop wargames in the 60s. Levelling systems come from the pen & paper RPGs of the early 1970s ... also Western.

Wikipedia is editable by anyone, and therefore, cannot be trusted.

If you want info on something, do some proper research.

You may not be from a Western country, but you aren't Japanese, are you?

Stop the blind Japanese worshipping ... learn to see things from a correct perspective.

The West produces some good, some crap ... Japan produces some good, some crap.

As for the Western consoles you've never heard of, that's hardly my fault ... go and look them up yourself ...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    ooowwww a new way for me to beat NFS 510 :D @SylverReZ
    +1
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @AncientBoi, Yeah, believe you can do PSP games as well. But a Pi5 is much powerful in comparison.
    +2
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not sure about other models of Pi4 but the Pi 4 B with 8GBs OCed to 2Ghz handles PSP really great except like 1 game I found and it is playable it just looks bad lol Motor Storm Arctic something or other.
    Other games I can have turned up to like 2X and all kinds of enhancements, Motorstorm hmmm nope 1X and no enhancements lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Waiting for Anbernic's rg[whatever]SP price announcement, gimme.
    +1
    I will admit that one does seem more interesting than the usual Ambernic ones, and I already liked those.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I dread the price point.
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    This looks like one of their premium models, so... $150 :glare:
    +1
    To me that seems reasonable.
    I mean since basically all the games are errmmm free lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean yeah sure but the specs are the same as a $50 model, it's just those pesky "quality of life" things driving up the price, like an actually working speaker, or buttons that don't melt, and stuff like that.
    +1
    I think all in my Pi 4 was well north of 200 bucks 150ish for the Pi 4 the case the fancy cooler, then like 70 for the 500GB MicroSD then like 70 for the Xbox controller. But honestly it's a nice set up I really enjoy and to me was worth every penny. (even bought more controllers for 2 or 4 player games.) hmmm have never played any 2 player games yet :(
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah that's what I hate about the RPi, it's supposedly $30 or something but it takes an additional $200 of accessories to actually turn it into a working something.
    yes that's the expensive part lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I mean sure it's flexible and stuff but so is uremum but it's fiddly.
    Yeah a lot of it I consider a hobby, using Batocera I am constantly adjusting the collection adding and removing stuff, scraping the artwork. Haven't even started on some music for the theme... Also way down the road I am considering attempting to do a WiiFlow knock off lol
  • Veho @ Veho:
    I want everything served on a plate plz ktnx, "work" is too much work for me.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Hmm, with that in mind, maybe a complete out-the-box solution with all the games collected, pacthed and optimized for me would be worth $150 :unsure:
    Yeah it's all choice and that's a good thing :)
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    animal crossing new leaf 11pm music
  • Bunjolio @ Bunjolio:
    avatars-kKKZnC8XiW7HEUw0-KdJMsw-t1080x1080.jpg
    wokey d pronouns
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: What its like to do online shopping in 1998: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwag5XE8oJo