Hacking Why add anti-piracy measures to Devolution ?

sabfrompc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Your proof of this being? I have never seen any official statement that Devolution touches NAND in any way, and I find it hard to believe it would do so.
My proof being that I spent a couple weeks going through the entire friggin thing and then hex editing it to fake (successfully I might add) the .dvv files.

Mojoaosm

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
No it definitely does not store any memory in the NAND. Okay guys, you won't believe how close I am to cracking this. I've spent a lot of time I can feel I am so very close. I even got it to flash four time (verification) without the disc. I've even got to to briefly flash the title screen of the game. It keeps crashing though, and I think I may know why. I'll keep you guys updated. I just wanted to let you all know that Devolution might get cracked after all!

sabfrompc

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay... I'm an idiot... I found a way to override it through hex editing the NAND, and mistakenly took that as a form of verification... I did find a way to overwrite it through the NAND, but I was wrong about it writing to it. I'm sorry to anyone I mislead.

VashTS

Beat it, son
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
lets get a crack out there, don't be scared of tueidj! crack it wide open and let it bleed!

haha! i love people being mischievous.

on a side note, i still will NOT use the app if it gets cracked, i've boycotted and i will not crack. DM suits my needs. PLEASE release this crack to the world if you guys do it.

Reactions: Scriber

SifJar

Not a pirate
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
They say enough monkeys and enough typewriters....

He might have in theory wrote his own GC loader to the NAND, we will need to see what he posts next. I'm interested in this hex editing of ones NAND . :unsure:
Enough monkeys and typewriters still aren't going to build the Eiffel Tower; the task has to actually be possible with what they have (e.g. creating the works of Shakespeare) for the infinite monkey theorem to hold true.

Hex editing NAND cannot defeat the AP measures of Devolution (I'm fairly sure), no matter how many monkeys you have editing the NAND.

Slimmmmmm

GBAtemp MoNkEeE
Trophies
XP
Country
No SifJar, but he's maybe edited the NAND in a way that it's built his whole enitire app to the nand, and it does everything...... WOW !
We will never know until he posts wit details, It's amazing, and for one man to do it alone... WOW !

As for serious, hmm I couldn't see how defeating the AP could be done by this method at all, but I'm only 99.9% sure.

portugeek

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for coding your own app from scratch...why ? DIOSMIOS could be improved or changed maybe.
If Devolution offers something over DiosMios then would the time efficient strategy not been to try and improve or fix (however you word it) an already amazing app made by a pure legend? (crediar)

Agree with this completely!

Since I've jumped back into the homebrew scene I've started to develop a love hate relationship with Devolution. You can't help but love it's ease of use, and it's amazing compatibility, plus nothing's better than being able to load Gamecube games via USB. And although it's AP is definitely an annoyance, it's nothing more than just that, an annoyance.

I think, rather than b*tching about the implementation of AP, we need to more strongly support the apps that serve our individual needs. Whenever we use other apps, that perform similar functions to one another, we don't bitch when one of them doesn't perform to our liking. We just find, and use, the one that DOES.

The complaining about Devo's AP only exists because the compatibility and performance of Devolution is superior to its alternative. And if it were DIOS MIOS that had AP instead of Devo.. none of us would be b*tching about AP. We'd just all jump over to Devo because it's ease of use and superior compatibility would make it the obvious choice.

My point is, rather than complain about the app that annoys us, we should just direct our time and energy at making the alternative app (DIOS MIOS) a better one.

Slartibartfast42

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The developer of a game may decide to re-release their game on a modern platform in the future. If there was a means of playing their game at the moment without you purchasing it, then that's a potential sale lost for that developer.

No it isn't. If someone isn't willing to buy a cheap used copy now, what makes you think they will buy a much more expensive remade version in the future? People can only afford to buy so many games. Most people save their limited budget for new stuff, not old stuff.

JoostinOnline

Certified Crash Test Dummy
Trophies
Website
www.hacksden.com
XP
Country
United States
No it isn't. If someone isn't willing to buy a cheap used copy now, what makes you think they will buy a much more expensive remade version in the future? People can only afford to buy so many games. Most people save their limited budget for new stuff, not old stuff.
I have like 5 copies of Ocarina of Time. :lol:

sensi277

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I love old vintage video games. So much better than the new stuff :) . Anyways, to anyone who can crack Devolution, I am IN and totally supporting this. IF and WHEN this gets done, I will totally test it. Please keep working on this. If for whatever reason you can't post a download here, can someone send it to me at my email? It is [email protected]. I have also created an IRC channel on the freenode network. The channel is #crackeddevolution and the password is devolution. Feel free to join to chat about cracking devolution and whatnot.

Supercool330

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
As for coding your own app from scratch...why ? DIOSMIOS could be improved or changed maybe.
If Devolution offers something over DiosMios then would the time efficient strategy not been to try and improve or fix (however you word it) an already amazing app made by a pure legend? (crediar)
Unfortunately, no. DiosMios runs in gamecube mode (as it is a modified MIOS) and can only use about 96KB for all of it's code. Most of this is already used, and crediar explicitly states that things like NTFS or bluetooth will never be supported. Devolution on the other hand runs in Wii Mode, and thus has access to a lot more system resources. I would love it if DiosMios had as much potential to Devolution, but the basic design is fundamentally different, and thus it will never happen. In my perfect world, Tueidj would just release his source (which will never happen).

I wish the guys who started the Wii scene had the balls to put in disc verification like tueidj did with Devolution.
Um wow, you clearly know nothing about the history of the Wii scene. The guys who started the scene (Team Twiizer) were super opposed to piracy, and the original loader (Gecko OS) only worked with retail disks (and there were some source release kerfuffles with that as well). Even once DVDx was released and allowed homebrew to read DVD-R discs, it was a while before a backup loader was released. Your statement doesn't really make any sense at all.

PityOnU

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm surprised no one has just modified some of the assembly code in the Devolution binary blob to bypass the disc verification. You'd only need to change a single compare command.

Also, I'm super confused as to why anti-piracy measures have been forced on users who want to play their 10+ year old games. You can no longer buy those games new. No money would be going to the developers anyway. The only people that are being helped by this are companies like Gamestop and EB Games, which in my opinion are worse than pirates.

Reactions: AaronZ

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @K3Nv2, Lol K3N1.