Hacking white screen problem

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I just got my R4 in, after using a SC SD slot 2 solution for a while. I transferred all my "games" to the root of the TF card, along with the R4 files from the CD that was sent with the product. When I turn on the NDSL, i see the health warning, then the R4 menu for 1.06. I scroll down to a game, ANY game, and all I get is the white screen.

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong ? What info do you need in order to help me with this problem ?

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
sorry, forgot to mention that. I've already formatted it for FAT32 before doing anything else.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I just got my R4 in, after using a SC SD slot 2 solution for a while. I transferred all my "games" to the root of the TF card, along with the R4 files from the CD that was sent with the product. When I turn on the NDSL, i see the health warning, then the R4 menu for 1.06. I scroll down to a game, ANY game, and all I get is the white screen.Â

Any clues to what I'm doing wrong ? What info do you need in order to help me with this problem ?
Did you put clean roms in your R4? Because the R4 uses clean roms.

SpectralSounds

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Usually when I get the white screen, I just take out the microSD card and reinsert it into the R4. Which fixes the issue. Apparently the contacts arent aligned properly, or who knows what the reason is. I wish it didnt happen, but it does at least once every couple days.

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
thanks for the quick replies. I'm downloading the b107 file... it'll be a little bit, as I'm on dialup. I had previously downloaded the a 1.07 file, and it appeared to be NOT english, despite being labeled as such. lol.

Anyways... i'll update after I've got the new kernel downloaded.

oh yea, are there any naming restrictions ? Example: 0434 - New Super Mario Bros. (US).nds

UPDATE:

Grrr... loaded the new stuff on... now I just get stuck at the loading.... screen. This is seemingly more hassle that it seems to be worth.

Here is a screenie:

UPDATE 2:

Ok, got 1.07 running, after about 20 times, copy, boot, retry, etc.

Now, still white screen after "game loading..", or just a lockup after "game loading.."

I really don't know what else to try. I'm using the R4, 1.07 kernel, and a Sandisk 1GB TF card. Everything is being transferred bia my Sandisk card reader.

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i think nero has some sort of association with dat files, and shows them as movie cd files. Hasn't ever affected anything else though. When I right click on the TF card, choosing format, it only gives me the option for "Default Allocation Size".

Update:

Re-formatted again... FAT16, default allocation sizes. Copied the files one by one over to the card. Still white screen after game loading.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
i think nero has some sort of association with dat files, and shows them as movie cd files. Hasn't ever affected anything else though. When I right click on the TF card, choosing format, it only gives me the option for "Default Allocation Size".

You have to go to your control panel, then open up administrative tools, then open up computer management, then go to disc managment, then right click on which ever one your card is in, pick format. If that doesn't work then I would suggest trying another mico sd to see if the problem is your card or the R4 itself.

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Goodness. This thing is soooo unpredictable ! I mean... this time, I copied all the folders over individually again, now it locks up loading the "shell".

So now, I'm copying it all over once again. I doubt it's my mem stick. That's been working fine in my LG VX8600, and in my supercard sd (using the adapter of course), without a hitch.

Could the R4 just be defective ? I mean, this was supposed to be a decent slot one solution, and I haven't even been able to do anything with it yet because of all the errors, lockups, etc.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Goodness. This thing is soooo unpredictable ! I mean... this time, I copied all the folders over individually again, now it locks up loading the "shell".

So now, I'm copying it all over once again. I doubt it's my mem stick. That's been working fine in my LG VX8600, and in my supercard sd (using the adapter of course), without a hitch.

Could the R4 just be defective ? I mean, this was supposed to be a decent slot one solution, and I haven't even been able to do anything with it yet because of all the errors, lockups, etc.

It might be the card reader that you are using, the card reader that comes with the R4 is not the best and a lot of people have had problems with it.

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Another thing that's fairly odd... each time i copy the files over for the R4, I get different results when booting the NDSL up. Sometimes it locks up, sometimes i just see garbled text, or a black strip across the bottom, or it actually starts up. I still get the white screens, or lockups at the loading screen when the shell actually boots.

I'm using a fairly reliable Sandisk 11 in one reader. I've used that for just about everything. I've used it with the same TF card for my phone, used it on a 4GB pro duo gaming card, 2gb Patriot SD, 256MB Sony Pro mem stick, Sandisk 1GB Ultra II Pro Duo, 2gb Pro Duo Sandisk retail.

With all that use, it has been flawless throughout. I used it as recently as 20 mins before trying it with the R4 stuff, and that was with my SC SD, which works perfectly.

I'm going to bed, I have to work early in the morning. I'll pick up another microSD from wal mart to test it, to make 100% sure it's not my card screwing up. I'll check back in the morning for replies. I'll also update the thread with my new findings tomorrow around 8am EST.

thanks for all the help thus far.

danci

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
yup. i agree. i think the card reader is your problem. that happened to me before. i thought that the r4ds was broken but it was the reader. try copying files using a different reader.

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Good call. I thank everyone for all their help and support. It turns out the "crap" card reader that came with it worked on the first try. lol.

That was my last effort before going mad ! thanks again for everyones' help.

aslacker55

I like pie
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Good call. I thank everyone for all their help and support. It turns out the "crap" card reader that came with it worked on the first try. lol.Â

That was my last effort before going mad ! thanks again for everyones' help.

Good for you, you can finally enjoy your R4.
grog.gif
yaynds.gif
grog.gif

F34R

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
yea, tomorrow lol. I have to hit the sack, and get some sleep for work. I do 12hr shifts, and 5am comes pretty quickly lol.

Muchas Gracias again peeps. Thanks for your time and help.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: 229 steam games more than I thought