Which USB Hardrive to get ?

Discussion in 'Wii - Backup Loaders' started by flowerson, Oct 5, 2016.

1. flowerson
    OP

flowerson Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
    Hello everyone so I'm going to be modding a WII and have some questions on what I need for a external hard drive. I was thinking one of these. My only concern is I have is that I heard issues of not being able to be powered because the wii is not powerful enough. If this is the case should I get something lower like maybe just a 64GB USB?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Seagate-...-External-Hard-Drive-Assorted-Colors/35610053

https://www.walmart.com/ip/WD-My-Passport-Ultra-1TB-External-Hard-Drive-Assorted-Colors/44786025

2. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    it's not how much gb's it's usb power, like in amps, wii and wiiu alike can't give full usb power like your pc. so usb powered hdd's might need help to work on a wii or wiiu, there's the y-cable solution if needed. i don't remember what is the maximim those consoles can give... but i'm sure drive size ain't a problem. non usb-powered hdd's work fine, those however need an extra power socket.
    see: http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/USB_Devices_Compatibility_List for wii or https://www.reddit.com/r/wiiu/wiki/newowners/harddrives for wiiu

Last edited by Jack Daniels, Oct 5, 2016
  3. kyle9252

kyle9252 Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Oct 4, 2016
    United States
  4. the_randomizer

the_randomizer The Temp's official fox whisperer

Apr 29, 2011
    United States
    Dr. Wahwee's castle
    Y-cable USB HDDs work fine with the Wii U and Wii, as that's what I've been using.

5. flowerson
    OP

flowerson Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
    Can someone explain to me what a y cable is? I see it on google and it looks weird. Like what do I plug what into?

6. Noctosphere

Noctosphere Moon furries | Official follower of Skiddon't-ism

Dec 30, 2013
    Canada
    Between three furries women
    y cable allows you to plug to hdd, usb, ac adapter

7. DylanMarkLeo7

DylanMarkLeo7 Newbie

Newcomer
    Sep 20, 2016
    United States
    United State
    Buy Buffalo MiniStation Extreme NFS, it is in 1TB and I'm sure it will help you.

8. flowerson
    OP

flowerson Newbie

Newcomer
    Oct 5, 2016
    United States
  9. migles

migles Mei the sexiest bae

GBAtemp Patron
    migles is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Sep 19, 2013
    Saint Kitts and Nevis
    my dad works for nintendo.
    i have the wd my passport elements, use it for both the wii and ps3

keep in mind, for wii you must know if the drive is sleepy, skeepy drives give some issues...

i bought a wd ultra, but i was in vacation at that time and could only try on friend's ps3, it didn't show up on the ps3.. however my friend asked me to give him that drive because he was in a hurry and i didn't troubleshoot it.. (could be badly formated, or needing the cable)

however i got the wd elements which was cheaper and it's the same thing (didn't had loads of fancy software inside)
    formatted with fat 32 and it's working for wii, gamecube games on the wii and ps3
    i remember i checked if this drive was sleepy, from what i understood it's good.

10. Procyon

Procyon TheRealProcyon

Dec 13, 2014
    Netherlands
    /home/procyon
    My low power 500 GB one (officially 3.0, but works on 2.0), with no external adapter worked fine.

11. Wizardkoer

Wizardkoer Wii Veteran

Jul 14, 2015
    Australia
    I think as long as you have a 5400RPM HDD, you'll be fine with even one power cable. But two power cable splitters are recommended to be on the safe side.

12. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    i used to have a toshiba 1tb 7200rpm usb 2.0 2.5" usb powered working fine, but i had problems with later models. i have had problems with 5400rpm models, only non usb powered models and tested models are sure to work all other models might work, but you can never be sure.

13. Jack Daniels

Jack Daniels GBAtemp Fan

Jun 6, 2016
    Netherlands
    South-Holland
    i used to have a toshiba 1tb 7200rpm usb 2.0 2.5" usb powered working fine, but i had problems with later models. i have had problems with 5400rpm models, only non usb powered models and tested models are sure to work all other models might work, but you can never be sure. *please remove, double posted by failing explorer*

Last edited by Jack Daniels, Oct 9, 2016 - Reason: please remove, double posted by failing explorer