drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Decisions, Decisions.

GameStop is having a sale going on right now where ANY refurbished PS3 (yes, ANY, this includes the 500GB super-slim) is $150 and comes with a free game.

The offer is tempting. However, much like how I opted to get a 4GB Xbox 360 slim and add a hard drive to it, I was thinking about getting that $200 MSRP 12GB super-slim, and adding a 500 (or larger)GB hard drive. I've got a few 2.5" hard drives lying around anyway.

Is it worth the extra $50 though? GameStop doesn't seem to have any refurbished/used 12GB systems at all, at least not on their site.

If you put a hard drive in one of those (and I understand you need a mounting bracket), do you still have the ability to use the 12GB PLUS the hard drive space? Or does it just not use that flash memory once you put a hard drive in?

My goal, really, is to put a 3Key or other ODE in there, so the size of the internal hard drive might not matter much anyway (except for games that have mandatory installs maybe?)

The main thing I'd like to know is what happens if you put a hard drive in one of the 12GB units. I know for a fact that with the Xbox 360 you'll now have 320+4GB (assuming 320GB hard drive), so you can put things like your profiles on the internal memory while having games on the hard drive. However, I don't know of such a "storage" menu on the PS3.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so basically there's no reason to go for the 12GB model then?

The 500GB super-slim is identical to the 12GB in terms of physical everything, just that it comes with a hard drive and no flash memory? Or were there slight form factor changes made?

A local GameStop has one of the refurbished 500GB super-slims so I think I'll just go for that, assuming it's identical to a 12GB + hard drive. The 3Key works on those, right?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
OK, so.

I bought the 500GB super-slim, which is a CECH4001C. Apparently that doesn't work with 3K3y yet.

It's also VERY LOUD, the fan spins up and I can hear it all the way across my apartment.

What would be the recommendation for a console that can be modded with a 3K3y and isn't very loud? Would any "slim" model work, or are there certain newer slims that won't work with 3K3y? What about the 250GB super-slim, do those work with 3K3y (though I'd still have to solder?)

I'd prefer a solderless option. But how loud are the slims relative to super-slim?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for late response. Can you take a video on your Super Slim? Loudness is rather subjective so I can't tell you whether it is normal or not without seeing it.

CELL and RSX chip used in PS3 produce a lot of heat by nature. Add that with the fact that they all use blower fan, which were loud by nature.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sure, I suppose I can do that.

It's weird, when you first turn it on it's not too loud, but it seems to get worse as the system heats up. It could just be a fan problem (I know it was 'refurbished', and those aren't exactly the best quality)... I had a refurbished Xbox 360 that had a super-loud fan too, in fact with that one, they actually stuck a second fan in there, splitting the power from the DVD drive to power the fan as well. I took it apart and wondered why they did that.

At any rate, I'm really impressed with the super-slim layout itself, since it's like half the size of the previous consoles... but if they're all going to be loud, I'd rather get the normal slim, since at least there's more "bulk" around the fans so it's not as noticeable. (At least based on what I've read, and my friend's PS3 slim isn't too bad)

The concern here is whether or not I'll be able to use an ODE with it. I didn't really think about it when I bought this unit, since I had just naturally assumed that the 3Key worked with everything. Then I went to order the 3Key and realized that wasn't true.
Do all the super-slim models (4001A, B, C) require soldering no matter which ODE I get? I saw a video guide for installing a 3K3y in a regular slim, and it didn't require soldering, you just connected the wires... is that true for all "slim" models? Because if so, I might just exchange it for a 320GB slim.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
All model starting at 2500x and above need soldering no matter what for ODE. This is because Sony moved Bluray drive controller from the drive logic board to the motherboard. For ODE to intercept relevant signal you must do soldering.

If you don't wand soldering get either 2000x or 2100x instead.

I personally like Slim better than Super Slim, because it is more better built. I don't like the glossy material used around the edge of Super Slim and grooving on the top side. I also find Super Slim cheaply built.

tbgtbg

Shaking the ring ropes up in the sky
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's weird, when you first turn it on it's not too loud, but it seems to get worse as the system heats up.

It's not weird, it's doing what it's supposed to do, cranking up the fan as the system gets hotter. Of course it's going to not be as hot when you first turn it on.

But if the noise is too much for you, you probably should try another model. I have a regular slim, and I don't find it very loud, but then again I have an old 360 and those are LOUD so maybe my frame of reference is skewed.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
All model starting at 2500x and above need soldering no matter what for ODE. This is because Sony moved Bluray drive controller from the drive logic board to the motherboard. For ODE to intercept relevant signal you must do soldering.

If you don't wand soldering get either 2000x or 2100x instead.

Which model is 2000 or 2100x? I don't think the people at GameStop are going to let me look at the serial number, I have to just tell them "I want a ___ slim model"

Looking at Wikipedia, it says the 25xxx and 30xxx were 160GB and 320GB. So if I ask for a 250GB slim, am I guaranteed to get either a 2000 or 2100? I'm also not sure which ones are the 3000s. I know super-slim is 4xxxx, though.

Other than the Blu-Ray drive being integrated into the motherboard, is there any other difference between the earlier and later slims? The only PS3s I've ever owned were "fat" models so I really am not sure what the differences are.

Slim might seem better built just because it's bigger. I personally don't mind the super-slim myself, it might be a little flimsy but the smallness is amazing. However if I'm going to need to solder an ODE in place, I don't know if that's wise... at least with a slim I could just unhook the thing if I decide to sell my console, and replace it with another similar console, right?

trigger_ftu

The FantomPhox
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
heck if thats the only problem you have with your ps3 currently than all you need to do is open it up and replace the thermal compound on the RSX and cell cpu is all. i did so with mine and it isn't loud anymore. (had the ylod a bout 2 weeks ago for not taking better care of it after the move but refluxed and used an oven to reflow took about 2 hours well worth it). as for the xbox slim you will need a deal to put the hard drive into and it has to be a spicific type and you have got to be willing to flash the hard drive (placed a 120 in my xbox had a 60GB but not enuph storage to work with). personally i'd stick with the ps3 less issues and less hacking involved for expanding on storage.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Listen to that, especially when I turn it over it starts getting really loud. But you can still hear the "hum" sound of it just sitting normally too.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Okay, the noise is fine but the humming. Did you have a disc inside?

With 2500x and above (where you need to solder for ODE), you must de-solder all wires AND re-solder capacitors IF you plan to remove ODE. Basically, ODE installation is a permanent solution on 2500x and above. Since you consider the possibility of reselling PS3 don't even bother with models that need soldering.

Unfortunately drive size alone cannot help you to hunt down a 2000x or 2100x. This is because some 2500x also use 120 GB and 250 GB HDD. You must really look at the bottom for a serial number.

As for the differences, 2000x uses 65 nm RSX chip while 2100x uses 40 nm RSX chip. 2100x is a bit cooler than 2000x though not by much.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope, I didn't have a disc in there.

I suppose I can just explain to the person at GameStop that I need to check the serial number for something and not tell them what for. So my best bet would be a 2100x because of the smaller RSX chip? Or does it really not matter?

As far as that humming goes... is that at least quieter on the regular slim models?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Just tell them you want to visually inspect the console before you decide whether to buy it or not.

It does not really matter, difference is very negligible. Don't get too hung up on it.

My 2100x does not make a humming noise like your video have shown.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I paid $149.99 for my super-slim as well. Until tomorrow they're all that price.

So I think I'll take this one back tomorrow and exchange it for a regular slim. I suppose 320GB is out of the question since it would almost certainly be a 2500? I just hope they don't wonder why I'm going from 500GB to 250GB - going from 500 to 320 would be feasable if I say "I don't like the super slim, it's too loud, I want a regular slim"... but whatever. Maybe I'll find a store that has 250s in stock but no 320s.

So if I get a 2000x or 2100x, I should just be able to open it up, plug the wires in and that's all I need to do to get a 3K3y working? I saw something on the video about needing firmware 3.55 still to get a drive key... I know their refurbished consoles come with 4.35 or something, so will that be an issue?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Yeah, I paid $149.99 for my super-slim as well. Until tomorrow they're all that price.

So I think I'll take this one back tomorrow and exchange it for a regular slim. I suppose 320GB is out of the question since it would almost certainly be a 2500? I just hope they don't wonder why I'm going from 500GB to 250GB - going from 500 to 320 would be feasable if I say "I don't like the super slim, it's too loud, I want a regular slim"... but whatever. Maybe I'll find a store that has 250s in stock but no 320s.

So if I get a 2000x or 2100x, I should just be able to open it up, plug the wires in and that's all I need to do to get a 3K3y working? I saw something on the video about needing firmware 3.55 still to get a drive key... I know their refurbished consoles come with 4.35 or something, so will that be an issue?
You don't need to dump the drive key anymore, 3k3y will take care of that.

Just tell them you like the look of regular Slim better.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Alright, cool. Must have been an old video.

Will 3K3y let me dump my retail games to the hard drive as well or do I need that Ripp3r thing?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Alright, cool. Must have been an old video.

Will 3K3y let me dump my retail games to the hard drive as well or do I need that Ripp3r thing?
Ripp3r board is for those who want to make 1:1 rip on PC. It involves connecting the PC (USB) to the board to a spare PS3 Bluray drive (which will be rendered useless on anything but the Ripp3r board unless you dump the drive key).

If you don't want that then you use multiman to rip the game, then use Ripp3r application with corresponding IRD file to rebuild ISO back to 1:1 copy. Downside is that without IRD files you cannot reconstruct what multiman dumped into 1:1.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @TwoSpikedHands just switch, all the knowledge you learned still applies and most of the code and assets should be the same anyway
    and realistically they wouldn't

be able to play it legally anyway since they need a ROM and they probably don't have the means to dump it themselves
    why the shit does the shitbox randomly insert newlines in my messages
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It does that when I edit a post.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It inserts a newline in a random spot.
    never had that i don't think
  • Karma177 @ Karma177:
    do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea?
    trying to restore emunand rn but it's taking ages... (also when I finished the first time hekate decided to delete all my fucking files :wacko:)
    Karma177 @ Karma177: do y'all think having an sd card that has a write speed of 700kb/s is a bad idea? trying to...