Hardware Which Super-Slim to Buy?

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can I install MultiMan on a non-3.55 system? Basically, in layman's terms is there any way I can use a current-firmware slim with the 3K3y installed to dump retail games in a way that I can play them back without the disc?

trumpet-205

Embrace the darkness within
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Can I install MultiMan on a non-3.55 system? Basically, in layman's terms is there any way I can use a current-firmware slim with the 3K3y installed to dump retail games in a way that I can play them back without the disc?
multiman is an unofficial apps, so unless you are on CFW you cannot.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought.

I do have a CECHA01 with CFW on it and MultiMan installed. Could I make ISO files with that? I know that normally MultiMan just creates a folder, using "copy"... not an ISO... but if I read correctly the 3K3y needs the games in ISO format, is that correct?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
That's what I thought.

I do have a CECHA01 with CFW on it and MultiMan installed. Could I make ISO files with that? I know that normally MultiMan just creates a folder, using "copy"... not an ISO... but if I read correctly the 3K3y needs the games in ISO format, is that correct?
Sure you can. multiman does dump game in ISO format if you bring out the menu.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I should redump all my games in ISO format then. I have a folder of games I've dumped, but they're all just files :unsure:

Can MultiMan play the ISO files the same way it plays the file-folders on my CFW system? And are the ISOs that it dumps sufficient for 3K3y use?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Interesting. I should redump all my games in ISO format then. I have a folder of games I've dumped, but they're all just files :unsure:

Can MultiMan play the ISO files the same way it plays the file-folders on my CFW system? And are the ISOs that it dumps sufficient for 3K3y use?
No multiman cannot play PS3 ISO. It can dump but not play it.

You can use ISO file directly on 3k3y, but if you want 1:1 ISO (to reduce the chance of getting caught while being online), then you must use IRD file to patch ISO into 1:1 copy.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so basically the process would be like

-Rip ISO using MultiMan on my CFW PS3
-Patch ISO using a file from that site
-Put on hard drive and play
?

What if I have a game that isn't on their site, how do people actually create those IRD files?

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
People create those IRD file by ripping it with Ripp3r board. Some people upload those files. If you can't find an IRD file, then go ask if someone is kind enough to upload one.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so using Ripp3r is the only way to get a 1:1 copy, MultiMan can't do that?

If I buy Ripp3r I also need to get a PS3 Blu-Ray drive too or does it come with one?

At any rate, I'm going to go to GameStop tomorrow and exchange my super-slim for a slim... I made a note of the stores in my area selling the 250GB or 120GB consoles, so those have a higher chance of being a 2000 or 2100x. Anything else I need to do or can I just order the SATA-version 3K3y and I'm all set?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You shouldn't buy a 2000 as it gets really warm at the bottom. There is so much heat that Sony prohibits you to use 2000 models vertically. This is because the heat goes up and could potentially damage the disc.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
And 2100 doesn't have that problem?

I was leaning towards 2100 anyway, but I'll have to check when I'm at the store. I suppose I could try to explain that heat thing to the person at the counter and say "I need a 2100 since 2000s have heat problems" etc.

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Were both the 250GB and 120GB variants released as the 2100 model?

There are very few GameStops left near me that have 250GB slims. And I'm assuming 320 and 160 are out of the question since those are likely to be 2500.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Ah, so using Ripp3r is the only way to get a 1:1 copy, MultiMan can't do that?

If I buy Ripp3r I also need to get a PS3 Blu-Ray drive too or does it come with one?

At any rate, I'm going to go to GameStop tomorrow and exchange my super-slim for a slim... I made a note of the stores in my area selling the 250GB or 120GB consoles, so those have a higher chance of being a 2000 or 2100x. Anything else I need to do or can I just order the SATA-version 3K3y and I'm all set?

Correct, multiman doesn't do a 1:1 dump. Ripp3r board does not come with a PS3 Bluray drive.

Drive size doesn't mean definite. They have a higher chance but you can still end up with a 2500x. Why not just buy online?

You shouldn't buy a 2000 as it gets really warm at the bottom. There is so much heat that Sony prohibits you to use 2000 models vertically. This is because the heat goes up and could potentially damage the disc.

You are over exaggerating. RSX isn't the biggest heat contributor in PS3 anyway, it is CELL. Both CELL and RSX can take quite a bit of beating in heat. When people have YLOD it is not because CELL or RSX chip is toasted, it is the ball solder sitting between the chip and the board cracks.

And your assertion that heat goes up because it is standing vertical makes no sense. PS3 Slim uses a blower fan to move air from CELL, to RSX, to PSU, and finally to be vented at the rear of the case. Hot air moves in one direction. Air moves into the PS3 from the bottom due to negative internal pressure. If you find it getting warm at the bottom putting it vertically isn't going to make it worst.

Plus Sony designed a vertical stand of 2000x series: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/vertical-stand-cech-2000-series-ps3.html

drfsupercenter

Flash Cart Aficionado
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Drive size doesn't mean definite. They have a higher chance but you can still end up with a 2500x. Why not just buy online?

Because GameStop is having a sale (ends tomorrow) where you can get any PS3 plus a $20 game for $149.99. That's like $160 after tax.
I have yet to see slims in good condition go for that cheap online :P

It's not a big deal. I can just check the model number. Most stores near me don't have anything but 120 and 160GB models left anyway, and there's one that only has a 120GB... I'll try them tomorrow and hope it's a 2000 or 2100. I think I'll try my hardest to get a 2100x, even if it means driving all over town.

Thanks for all the help. So I should just order a SATA 3K3y and that should be all I need after I get the system?

WiiUBricker

News Police
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Argentina
You are over exaggerating. RSX isn't the biggest heat contributor in PS3 anyway, it is CELL. Both CELL and RSX can take quite a bit of beating in heat. When people have YLOD it is not because CELL or RSX chip is toasted, it is the ball solder sitting between the chip and the board cracks.

And your assertion that heat goes up because it is standing vertical makes no sense. PS3 Slim uses a blower fan to move air from CELL, to RSX, to PSU, and finally to be vented at the rear of the case. Hot air moves in one direction. Air moves into the PS3 from the bottom due to negative internal pressure. If you find it getting warm at the bottom putting it vertically isn't going to make it worst.

Plus Sony designed a vertical stand of 2000x series: http://us.playstation.com/ps3/accessories/vertical-stand-cech-2000-series-ps3.html
I'm not overexaggerating. It's fact that the 2000 models produce lots of heat and that Sony states in their manual for the 2000 model that you shouldn't use the console vertically. The reason is the disc can be damaged by that heat. The fan does a crap job to save the disc from the heat.

trumpet-205

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I'm not overexaggerating. It's fact that the 2000 models produce lots of heat and that Sony states in their manual for the 2000 model that you shouldn't use the console vertically. The reason is the disc can be damaged by that heat. The fan does a crap job to save the disc from the heat.
Strange, cause I just looked over the 2000x manual Sony posted on the website: http://us.playstation.com/support/manuals/ps3/

These are the only two mentions of vertical in the instruction manual,
Do not set the system other than in the vertical or horizontal position. When setting the system in the vertical position, use the vertical stand (sold separately) for this model of the system. Also, do not change the position of the system while it is turned on. --- from page 6
When placing the system in a vertical position, use of the vertical stand (sold separately) is required for stability. -- from page 12

So what manual are you referring to exactly? Because nothing in those two instances suggest that Sony discouraged vertical position.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Firefox users be like "look at what they have to do to mimic a fraction of our power."