Which second MOTION controller would be best for MK8 ?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
We can't get a second gamepad either, as (according to the Internet) most games don't support it and it drops frames to 30 FPS. It would have been a good option, if we could just turn off their screens (I generally don't use the gamepad screen with MK8).
You might have missed this, but padcon exists, which allows you to turn off the screen on the gamepad. It saves battery life. A lot!
https://apps.fortheusers.org/wiiu/Padcon

Reactions: WiiFanAix

Drak0rex

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Switch pro has gyro, as does the Steam controller. Brooks makes a converter for Xbox controllers that make it appear as a switch controller, also with gyro.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
You might have missed this, but padcon exists, which allows you to turn off the screen on the gamepad. It saves battery life. A lot!
https://apps.fortheusers.org/wiiu/Padcon
I absolutely missed it, and I was actively looking for something like that ! :D Thanks.

Sorry for going off-topic here, but I have DLed it, and there's no tutorial or instructions at all, so I'd like to be sure:
  • Besides the app itself which I will put in the relevant wiiu\apps\Padcon directory, the zip has two files (info.json and manifest.install). Should I put them at the SD root or not ?
  • What is the "R3" button patch exactly ?
  • How to autoboot Padcon with Tiramisu ?

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I absolutely missed it, and I was actively looking for something like that ! :D Thanks.

Sorry for going off-topic here, but I have DLed it, and there's no tutorial or instructions at all, so I'd like to be sure:
  • Besides the app itself which I will put in the relevant wiiu\apps\Padcon directory, the zip has two files (info.json and manifest.install). Should I put them at the SD root or not ?
  • What is the "R3" button patch exactly ?
  • How to autoboot Padcon with Tiramisu ?
It's been years, so I'm pretty rusty on my Wii U stuff. If I remember correctly, padcon came standalone when it first came out, so I had to manually run it from the homebrew launcher everytime I wanted to use it. But later on, it was included (I think) with Haxchi (don't quote me on this, I'm not 100% sure). So I didn't have to launch it anymore. I never used Tiramisu, too new. I was using haxchi. The R3 button is just pressing on the right analog stick (push it in). The screen should turn off, if padcon is running. Repeat to turn the screen back on. No idea about autobooting padcon, except for what I said above.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
So we have to boot the Wii U, go to the HBC, and manually start Padcon every time ? That looks like a real hassle :huh: I'm surprised nobody has been able to do better with Tiramisu!
BTW my first question remains unanswered. Sorry for being a newbie here.

As for the gamepads, I have also found a couple of cheap 6-axis gyro gamepads on AliExpress that look surprisingly good:
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003575182553.html
https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005003625377103.html

I just don't know if they would work with HID to Vpad or Bloopair.

Last edited by WiiFanAix,
  • Haha
Reactions: niuus

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
So we have to boot the Wii U, go to the HBC, and manually start Padcon every time ? That looks like a real hassle :huh: I'm surprised nobody has been able to do better with Tiramisu!
BTW my first question remains unanswered. Sorry for being a newbie here.
Note that I selectively answer only questions which I have an answer for. :P But anyway, I checked the files you were mentioning, and they are only text files. One describes padcon, and one tells you where it goes on the SD card. (don't be afraid to experiment). As for autobooting with Tiramisu, don't forget that it is really new. It came out just 2 or 3 months ago. It might be possible to autoboot padcon, but you'll just have to suggest it to the Tiramisu dev, or someone else interested.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Understood, Sir! :P I'm still a bit afraid of doing things wrong, but I'll try to experiment more in the future.

It's true that Tiramisu is still really new (just like me in the Wii U scene). I was a bit naive to think that it would include all previous features. For example, UFDiine (which worked with previous environments) doesn't seem to work with Tiramisu, so I haven't been able to delete my updates folder yet. I have tagged the dev a few days ago, but no reply yet.

Are you suggesting that I should tag Maschell too and ask for a way to autoboot Padcon with Tiramisu ? I usually don't like to bother devs about new features, most of them hate that, lol.

Dust2dust

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Understood, Sir! :P I'm still a bit afraid of doing things wrong, but I'll try to experiment more in the future.

It's true that Tiramisu is still really new (just like me in the Wii U scene). I was a bit naive to think that it would include all previous features. For example, UFDiine (which worked with previous environments) doesn't seem to work with Tiramisu, so I haven't been able to delete my updates folder yet. I have tagged the dev a few days ago, but no reply yet.

Are you suggesting that I should tag Maschell too and ask for a way to autoboot Padcon with Tiramisu ? I usually don't like to bother devs about new features, most of them hate that, lol.
Well, since Maschell is the dev of both Tiramisu and Padcon, he certainly would be in a good position to answer your question. I wouldn't PM him, but feel free to ask in the Tiramisu thread. I'm sure he checks it every once in a while.
https://gbatemp.net/threads/release-tiramisu-environment-free-cbhc.605381/

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Motion Controls in Mario Kart a fun novelty, but if you're truly looking to compete, I don't know who is going to prefer them. Having said that, it is a small shame that the Wii U Pro Controllers never had motion built into them, or that a second gamepad was never able to connect to a Wii U despite the fact that Nintendo said it was capable. I still hope that maybe one day modders will find a way to get that feature to work.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Thanks Dust2dust, I have posted in the TIramisu thread.

Mika, I totally agree. Having two gamepads would be great for many reasons:
  • Having the same exact controller for 2-player gaming
  • Having a replacement gamepad just in case the first one stopped working
I would certainly buy a second gamepad right away if it could work with the first one.

If modders found a way someday, there'd still be the supposed 30FPS problem. Probably because the WIi U has to transmit display information to both gamepads at the same time. So modders would need to find a way to block that transmission before it takes place (turning the gamepad displays off wouldn't be enough).

Tur7L3

Trophies
XP
Country
Venezuela
You sure your gf would worry about this? Wii wheels make drifting and jumping feel a lot better if You're planning motion btw.

MikaDubbz

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can Bloopair or HID to VPAD be made to recognize a Switch Pro Controller as a sideways-held Wiimote on the Wii U? Maybe the gyro in the Switch Pro Controller would then be able to be utilized for such motion control.

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Can Bloopair or HID to VPAD be made to recognize a Switch Pro Controller as a sideways-held Wiimote on the Wii U? Maybe the gyro in the Switch Pro Controller would then be able to be utilized for such motion control.
That would be the question ! :rolleyes:

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over