Which second MOTION controller would be best for MK8 ?

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Hi everybody. I suppose I'm not the first one to wonder about this. :)

So, I'd like to play MK8 with my GF. MK8 has two critical features :
  • Motion detection to jump over stuff and get speed boosts
  • ZR to drift and also get speed boosts
Right now, the second player would need to have either a Wiimote Motion Plus or a Pro Controller :
  • The Wiimote has motion detection, but no ZL/ZR (you can drift with B or 1, but it doesn't feel the same)
  • The Pro Controller has ZL/ZR, but no motion detection (you can jump with ZR, but it doesn't feel the same either)
... you see the problem here ? :rofl2: This would definitely not be fair for one of the players.

----------

I've been looking for other controllers, but it turns out that there are no other motion controllers for the Wii U besides the Wiimote. :blink:

We can't get a second gamepad either, as (according to the Internet) most games don't support it and it drops frames to 30 FPS. It would have been a good option, if we could just turn off their screens (I generally don't use the gamepad screen with MK8).

----------

Apparently, the HID to VPAD homebrew app allows you to use 3rd-party controllers. Assuming it's compatible with Tiramisu. I'm saying this because I'm having trouble right now with UFDiine which just doesn't seem to work with Tiramisu. :cry:

Hence my question. Which one of them should I buy ? Which one would be best for my purpose ? Playing MK8 and emulating a Wii U gamepad as closely as possible, with the same motion features and ZL/ZR right under the fingers.

Thanks !

Last edited by WiiFanAix,

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'm confused also! You explain both ways to play the game (controller or motion) but don't say which one you want??

I don't get the hate on using the pro controller buttons for jumping at all, no other controller I can think of is going to any different really and the pro controller is a proven good controller ergonomically (hashtag xbox!)

If you want to play with motion, get a wheel attachment like the one that came with mk wii as the wiimote sits in the middle and has the b button perfectly placed behind for items and the d pad for drifts. (that could be the other way round, i forget!)

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Here's how I personally like to play MK8 :
  • ZR for drifting
  • Motion for jumping
There are other ways to play, but that's a way that I like.

The way I see it, only the gamepad allows for that. The Wiimote isn't good enough for my (personal, subjective) taste. When I move from the gamepad to the Wiimote I have to adapt to the Wiimote, so my performance on the WIimote isn't nearly as good.

Hence the question remains. I'm talking about buying a controller and activating it via HID to VPAD. My question was literally "which one would be the best for my purpose". So which motion-capable controller would be best for playing MK8 the way I personally like to play it. No more, no less.

No need to argue, it's just a simple question. Some people may have an answer, and others won't.

AmandaRose

Do what I do. Hold tight and pretend it’s a plan
Trophies
Website
www.rockstarnorth.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
We can't get a second gamepad either, as (according to the Internet) most games don't support it and it drops frames to 30 FPS. It would have been a good option, if we could just turn off their screens (I generally don't use the gamepad screen with MK8).
This is somewhat wrong in that it wasn't most games it was all games that couldn't use a second WiiU gamepad. It was a feature Nintendo promised but did not deliver on.

Last edited by AmandaRose,
Reactions: WiiFanAix

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
One time I saw a controller it was really weird it was like a Wii mote inside of a Wii u pro controller id say something like that would work for you

Reactions: Tarmfot

Tarmfot

Trophies
XP
Country
Montserrat
Hi everybody. I suppose I'm not the first one to wonder about this. :)

So, I'd like to play MK8 with my GF. MK8 has two critical features :
  • Motion detection to jump over stuff and get speed boosts
  • ZR to drift and also get speed boosts
Right now, the second player would need to have either a Wiimote Motion Plus or a Pro Controller :
  • The Wiimote has motion detection, but no ZL/ZR (you can drift with B or 1, but it doesn't feel the same)
  • The Pro Controller has ZL/ZR, but no motion detection (you can jump with ZR, but it doesn't feel the same either)
... you see the problem here ? :rofl2: This would definitely not be fair for one of the players.

----------

I've been looking for other controllers, but it turns out that there are no other motion controllers for the Wii U besides the Wiimote. :blink:

----------

Apparently, the HID to VPAD homebrew app allows you to use 3rd-party controllers. Assuming it's compatible with Tiramisu. I'm saying this because I'm having trouble right now with UFDiine which just doesn't seem to work with Tiramisu. :cry:

Hence my question. Which one of them should I buy ? Which one would be best for my purpose ? Playing MK8 and emulating a Wii U gamepad as closely as possible, with the same motion features and ZL/ZR right under the fingers.

Thanks !
Attach a classic controller to a wiimote?

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Attach a classic controller to a wiimote?
I've seen videos with people doing that. Which is why I was hoping for something a bit more elegant.

Couldn't I just buy a Switch pro controller (which AFAIK has motion) or anything equivalent ?

One more time : the question is about WHICH controller I should buy. Could you guys respect that instead of posting for nothing ? If you don't know, just don't answer. Thank you.

Reactions: Tarmfot and Norris

Lostbhoy

HEY YOU GUYS!
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
The switch pro controller will work with Bloopair for what your looking for.

Wether it's the best controller and should you buy one, as your question states, can only be answered after rigorous testing of all available controllers by you personally!

BaamAlex

UDE GA NARU ZE!
Trophies
Website
hmpg.net
XP
Country
Germany
Here's how I personally like to play MK8 :
  • ZR for drifting
  • Motion for jumping
Erm...nothing against your personal preference...but this makes no sense in my eyes. ZR is for drifting...but before you drift, the car/bike makes a jump...means, you have to play the game in a really crampy way. At least that's what it sounds like to me. Otherwise i want to see a video, how you play mk8 in that way.

Reactions: niuus

Norris

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Erm...nothing against your personal preference...but this makes no sense in my eyes. ZR is for drifting...but before you drift, the car/bike makes a jump...means, you have to play the game in a really crampy way. At least that's what it sounds like to me. Otherwise i want to see a video, how you play mk8 in that way.
What a relationship does to a Mario kart player :sad:

WiiFanAix

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
The switch pro controller will work with Bloopair for what your looking for.

Wether it's the best controller and should you buy one, as your question states, can only be answered after rigorous testing of all available controllers by you personally!
Agreed, but I'm still looking for opinions. Is the Switch pro controller the only motion controller alternative ? I'm by no means a controller expert.

What a relationship does to a Mario kart player :sad:
Guys, I'm not sure I understand. Maybe my english is not good enough. To drift I press ZR, then right after that I move the joystick in the desired direction. To jump when I reach a ramp or a road bump, I just move the whole gamepad up and I jump. Looks simple to me. I'd be willing to change that IF there was a method that allowed for faster lap times. I just don't see why my method would make me lose some valuable time. Does it?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over