Which R4 do I have? And what software does it need?

Discussion in 'R4 DS' started by AndyTheLegend, Jul 26, 2014.

1. AndyTheLegend
    OP

AndyTheLegend Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    So my younger brother went off to college and left his NDS lite. I saw that he had an R4 in the slot but there was no memory card. I managed to dig up a 16gb card and did a little research to figure out how to get the R4 working. I am not too sure what kind of R4 this is. All I know is that its an R4i and thats basically it.

The cartridge just says:

R4 i

Revolution for DS
    (NDSI/NDSL/NDS)
    www.r4ultra.com

I've also included a picture to be perfectly clear what r4 I have.

I have no idea what firmware I need. I tried looking for my exact card but found only ones that said "Upgrade" underneath "R4 i" and those did not work, I only got the neverending loading screen.

I called up my brother and he said he's not even sure because his friend set it up for him.
    Can someone please help? Is it because the R4i isn't SDHC so it can't use my 16gb card? or are all R4i's SDHC compatible? So confused here.

R4i.jpg R4i Back.jpg Micro SD.jpg

2. overdriver

overdriver Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Sep 27, 2010
    United States
  3. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolfdog™ Cuddle lesbian derp

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Between insane and insecure
  4. AndyTheLegend
    OP

AndyTheLegend Newbie

Newcomer
    Jul 26, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the replies! So can I just use the R4 Ultra firmware found on the linfox domain link in RetroGameFan's post? would that be sufficient?

EDIT: Sorry I am really lost, I'm reading everything on the link and I still can't get it to work. Could someone please be so kind as to post a step by step guide on what I should be doing? Thank you so much, sorry I am so slow with these kinds of things.

EDIT 2: So I've tried every firmware out there for R4i Ultra and I'm starting to think my flashcart is just broken... Like it can't read my memory card or something. I think I'm just going to buy a new one :\