Hacking Which PS3 CFW Should I use

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So, I don't know if I will be buying another PS3 and then upgrading to a PS4 because my family would have up to four PS3's at this point, or if I might use one of the two consoles we have but;
I'm kind of planning on getting a CFW'd console, its just I'm confused with which CFW I should go with, I know there's Ferrox, Rebug, Rogrego and another one I forgot about but I don't see a really "clear" answer between the differences of all four of these FW's.

Here's what I'm looking for:
- Playing Backed up PS3 Games
- Custom Dynamic Theme Support for the XMB
- Game Cheating support (cheat codes or just hacks.)
- Emulation support. (AFAIK, there's NES Support, SNES, n64, PSP, PS Vita I think?, GBA, GB, GBC, PS1 (Depending on console), PS2, (Depending on console.), Gensis, and some oldie consoles I don't know about to much.)
- Online support? If possible?

I may be buying a Fat PS3 or repairing a Slim console I have from YLOD due to a broken fan or CPU problems? but I don't know yet. I'm just wondering what may be the best option.

Last edited by petethepug,

tivu100

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can anyone do a guide how to dualboot REBUG. Is helping a friend who would like to occasional connect his Henkaku PS Vita to transfer purchased games from PSN.

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So from what I get, each CFW (Or at least most) have the same features but some CFW's add additional features (Like the Rebug Toolbox or the Ferrox Homebrew Store.) And have certain reliabilities, CEX CFW's are just normal CFW's (normally used by regular users.) While DEX CFW's are normally used for developing Homebrew Applications or developing CFW's (I think), just generally modding stuff.

AFAIK there's no other things like REX, MEX, SEX, AEX? But I could be wrong :P

Here are the spot on differences I notice between the CFW's I found:
REBUG - Contains the Rebug toolbox, which you can find all those features here: https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-81-2-cobra-7-5-toolbox-2-02-12-jan-10th-2017/ (scroll down to REBUG Toolbox)
Ferrox - Allows modifying the XMB, and has a built in Homebrew Store (XMB Options and Homebrew Store can be cleared back to defaults.), I'm not sure if Rebug supports the same XMB options but I'd assume yes it is possible to do this on other CFW's, Homebrew store probably not.
Habib - Idk
Rogrego - Idk

As far as Dualboot for Rebug though, no clue.

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
So from what I get, each CFW (Or at least most) have the same features but some CFW's add additional features (Like the Rebug Toolbox or the Ferrox Homebrew Store.) And have certain reliabilities, CEX CFW's are just normal CFW's (normally used by regular users.) While DEX CFW's are normally used for developing Homebrew Applications or developing CFW's (I think), just generally modding stuff.

AFAIK there's no other things like REX, MEX, SEX, AEX? But I could be wrong :P

Here are the spot on differences I notice between the CFW's I found:
REBUG - Contains the Rebug toolbox, which you can find all those features here: https://rebug.me/official-rebug-4-81-2-cobra-7-5-toolbox-2-02-12-jan-10th-2017/ (scroll down to REBUG Toolbox)
Ferrox - Allows modifying the XMB, and has a built in Homebrew Store (XMB Options and Homebrew Store can be cleared back to defaults.), I'm not sure if Rebug supports the same XMB options but I'd assume yes it is possible to do this on other CFW's, Homebrew store probably not.
Habib - Idk
Rogrego - Idk

As far as Dualboot for Rebug though, no clue.
Back in the day you had 3 major custom firmwares wich were Rogere, Habib and Rebug. Habib and rogero were known to Always have the latest firmware ready while rebug took a bit longer because they prefer stability and features above speed. Around the time cobra got leaked by a member of the cobra team habib and rogero ended up joining the rebug team. Rebug has the most features and is the most stable. It has webman built in, you can easily convert from cex to dex with rebug wich you need for using cheats mostly and some other settings wich i advise you not 2 touch if you don't know what it does. And for dualbooting you need to solder. Don't know if it is still done that way but that's the only way i know of doing it and the way i remember is doing it with an E3 flasher.

Last edited by kumikochan,
Reactions: petethepug

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
N64 on ps3?

Nah bruh.
Maybe one of these days, who knows maybe in year 3000 we will have full support for PS3, PS2, and PS1 on the PS4. It might as well just look like a huge calculator that was built in the 1800's and sound like the end of a jet's thruster but I'm sure some would prefer the change :P

Back in the day you had 3 major custom firmwares wich were Rogere, Habib and Rebug. Habib and rogero were known to Always have the latest firmware ready while rebug took a bit longer because they prefer stability and features above speed. Around the time cobra got leaked by a member of the cobra team habib and rogero ended up joining the rebug team. Rebug has the most features and is the most stable. It has webman built in, you can easily convert from cex to dex with rebug wich you need for using cheats mostly and some other settings wich i advise you not 2 touch if you don't know what it does. And for dualbooting you need to solder. Don't know if it is still done that way but that's the only way i know of doing it and the way i remember is doing it with an E3 flasher.
I will just stick with REBUG then seeing how it has mostly stable releases (oh and the toolbox looks cool), i'm not sure if its the definitive "best" choice but it sounds like it to me at this point. Now I just need to find out how to fix the slim PS3 from YLOD or save up for a FAT PS3/Slim PS3 (or wait longer for a release for super slims to be hacked.) And sell off my FAT PS2 if I don't need it anymore,

So hopefully I will get everything sorted out at some point, thank you 4 response :D

Last edited by petethepug,
Reactions: KiiWii

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Maybe one of these days, who knows maybe in year 3000 we will have full support for PS3, PS2, and PS1 on the PS4. It might as well just look like a huge calculator that was built in the 1800's and sound like the end of a jet's thruster but I'm sure some would prefer the change :P

I will just stick with REBUG then seeing how it has mostly stable releases (oh and the toolbox looks cool), i'm not sure if its the definitive "best" choice but it sounds like it to me at this point. Now I just need to find out how to fix the slim PS3 from YLOD or save up for a FAT PS3/Slim PS3 (or wait longer for a release for super slims to be hacked.) And sell off my FAT PS2 if I don't need it anymore,

So hopefully I will get everything sorted out at some point, thank you 4 response :D
I would suggest a reballing. Reballing also makes it as good as YLOD proof since it will be reballed using lead wich doesn't crack as easily. Don't know how much it costs over there but here it's usually 75 for the RSX chip and 75 for the cpu

petethepug

PUG
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would suggest a reballing. Reballing also makes it as good as YLOD proof since it will be reballed using lead wich doesn't crack as easily. Don't know how much it costs over there but here it's usually 75 for the RSX chip and 75 for the cpu
I will go and try to find someone local and see if they can fix the problem. My dad got in contact with someone awhile back and the PS3 Slim got the YLOD while in maitence due to "CPU Problems" I'd assume that's caused from overheating the system because the system was updated at some point without the fan working and games were occasionally played on it :mellow:

Getting it inspected is on my to-do list but i'm not to sure yet about getting it reballed since I may be spending more than what it costs to buy a used console on ebay. (If both the CPU & GPU need to be reballed.)

kumikochan

Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
I will go and try to find someone local and see if they can fix the problem. My dad got in contact with someone awhile back and the PS3 Slim got the YLOD while in maitence due to "CPU Problems" I'd assume that's caused from overheating the system because the system was updated at some point without the fan working and games were occasionally played on it :mellow:

Getting it inspected is on my to-do list but i'm not to sure yet about getting it reballed since I may be spending more than what it costs to buy a used console on ebay. (If both the CPU & GPU need to be reballed.)
well don't ever get it reflowed and getting it reballed will cost you about 50 dollars more then a used one but in the end it's also getting you a ps3 that is more future proof then a used one. i have a reballed console i use. Never did a ylod on me but i like preserving my consoles so i did a reballing on the cpu and rsx chip. So yeah getting a used console is cheaper but getting a reballing is more future proof

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Veho @ Veho: Software update might improve it.