Which model of Dreamcast do I get

lukands

I took the little bus here
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Looking to play burned games. Are the very early released Gray coloured consoles the one I should be looking for? I`ve read the later ones (white, etc..) don`t read the discs because of some copy protection?

jesterscourt

Not Brad.
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Odd, my three minute scan of Google didn't yield me the "be wary of serial #s above (insert here) or consoles manufactured after xx/xx/xxxx" I swear I remember seeing that before though.

ddetkowski

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Schizoanalysis said:
Technically all need a boot disc to load -- it is just that some roms have been hacked to "be their own boot disc" so to speak...

Not all need a boot disc. Most are self-boot.
I know, I've got around 70+ backups for Dreamcast........

Yes, some are hacked to not need the utopia disc

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
jesterscourt said:
Odd, my three minute scan of Google didn't yield me the "be wary of serial #s above (insert here) or consoles manufactured after xx/xx/xxxx" I swear I remember seeing that before though.
I googled "Dreamcast Wiki" it mentions something about it. And I`ve also seen some ads selling these consoles as "Gray, no mod needed" etc....

blueskies

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've got the blue dreamcast and it boots cdrs just fine. be sure to get selfboot discs though.
smile.gif

Schizoanalysis

From somewhere inside the rabbit hole...
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
ddetkowski said:
Not all need a boot disc. Most are self-boot.

Er... which is exactly what I said... They are their own boot disk...

A straight rip of the game won't load -- they need to be hacked to boot themselves up -- meaning, they are their own boot disk...

lukands

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
lukands said:
Looking to play burned games. Are the very early released Gray coloured consoles the one I should be looking for? I`ve read the later ones (white, etc..) don`t read the discs because of some copy protection?
Thanks for everyones input, I will roll the dice and pick up whatever console I can get for cheap.

Recorderdude

Musician, Animator, Buffoon.
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I own a white dreamcast manufactured a month after the US Launch (oct 1999), and it is a "1" model.

Though it's sorta unclear whether or not all Dreamcasts can run backups, one simple way to get a guaranteed backup-capable DC is to look on the underside of the console and see if there's a little "1" or "2" in a circle. All 1s will boot backups, no questions asked. 2s may or may not, depending both on when they were made and on it internet compatibility rumors about 2s are true.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Att did offer a $500gc tempting to use it for 6 months and cancel