Which linux distro?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Dter ic, Jul 13, 2010.

Jul 13, 2010

Which linux distro? by Dter ic at 8:18 PM (2,618 Views / 0 Likes) 31 replies

1. Dter ic
    OP

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    so i moved from windows7 to ubuntu, and i must say it is faster than windows7. [​IMG]

i want to know if there other distro's that i might be faster?

2. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    I like Ubuntu but I've heard that Mint is Ubuntu but better, maybe have a read about it ?

3. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Ubuntu is pretty much the most bloated and unnecessary Linux distro available.

I would recommend arch.

4. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    Try slax I use it on a live usb at school (since their so slow) and I get reasonable speeds.

5. Danny600kill

Member Danny600kill xD

United Kingdom
    Arch is more for devs than users, you have to be very ''In the know'' to use it [​IMG]

6. Frederica Bernkastel

Member Frederica Bernkastel WebPerf and PWA advocate; @antoligy on Twitter

United Kingdom
    Arch isn't too difficult to set up.

7. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    That is not true at all.

8. Minox

Supervisor Minox Spytech Employee

Sweden
    I'm prone to agree here. Arch does take more time to set up and you do need to read up on what to do, but once you get it right it's a really nice linux distro.

9. MaK11-12

Member MaK11-12 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Try using Kubuntu. Its just Ubuntu but less graphic crap making it much much faster!

Edit: Sorry guys, i meant Xubuntu

10. The Pi

Member The Pi Lurker

United Kingdom
    If you want to go down that road Lubuntu would be better.

11. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    >KDE
    >less graphic crap

Surely you jest.

12. c_house

Member c_house GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Umm... Yah, Kubuntu defiantly doesn't have less graphic crap. If you want a KDE distro that doesn't have that much graphical bells and wistles try MEPIS. Based on Debian so you'll be able to use all the.DEBs you can find.

13. mAlvarado

Newcomer mAlvarado Advanced Member

El Salvador
    I had been working with KUbuntu since March last year, but a few months ago I switched to Ubuntu. I had installed xUbuntu and Slax on my USB drive, and those are goods depending on what you are searching.

If you are looking for an alternative to Win7, you are right starting with Ubuntu, it is not hard, and if you have any trouble you can use google or ubuntu forums. When you feel familiarized with the Linux world you could try other flavor of Linux

There are a lot of flavors of linux, and those are that I know: (K)(x)Ubuntu, Arch, Mandriva, Fedora, Gentoo, OpenSuse, Debian. Each one similar but a little different from the others

@Urza: Ubuntu and KUbuntu is more oriented for linux beginners, If you like something real use Debian XD

14. Am0s

Member Am0s Mojo Risin

United Kingdom
    I use linux mint 8 helena or arch linux

mint is based on ubuntu and is very user friendly, for me ubuntu had problems so I went to mint and never looked back

arch is good very fast I like LXDE and XFCE desktops but it can be rather hard if you have little or no knowledge of linux, things run well in mint and in arch you need to play with them.

most experienced linux users try to steer away from bloated distro's and well ubuntu/mint is certantly getting bloated, but again for stability and ease mint works for me, the choice is yours

15. Urza

Member Urza hi

United States
    Except at the end of it all, you'll have learned nothing about the platform. Ubuntu and it's variants stack so many levels of software that it's almost impossible to solve most of the myriad of bugs you'll encounter without consulting to more experienced users. This level of complexity (or "bloat") will keep you at essentially the same skill level, as opposed to a better distro like arch in which you actually have to spend a little time learning as you set it up.

16. meornot0

Member meornot0 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Mint is good. It is like ubuntu but without many of ubuntu's bugs and slowdowns.

17. mAlvarado

Newcomer mAlvarado Advanced Member

El Salvador
    @Urza : you are right about learning nothing from the plataform, after read your reply I investigate a l little about Arch, mainly its installation, It seems perfect for me (I love the configurability and handling almost everithing from console [​IMG], I'm a home programmer) starting from nothing else than the OS it self.

But I have a few questions:

1- For linux starters like @Dter ic (I guess he knows nothing about linux, but correct me if I'm wrong), wich flavor you recommend? having in mind a friendly enviroment, and no knowledge of console commands

2- The whole installation is on console or has a GUI? (the only thing that I'd never done before is creating partitions with fdisk, alway used gparted)

BTW thanks to you I will download the Arch.iso tonight on my home and gonna start playing with this on a VM first, and when I know a little more will install it on my pc.

and sorry if this seems so mean
    I forgot to say that when I begun to work with live cd's to recover my dead win OS (about 4 or 5 years ago), one of my friends always said that to me when I asked for help

18. tsol

Member tsol GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Arch is great but it does take a bit of time to learn the way the command line works. After playing around with slackware, gentoo, ubuntu, debian, fedora, suse.. I find that Arch fit what i wanted the most.. simple, powerful, fast, with a solid rolling release system and a great community..

that's the end of my arch plug i guess

I haven't played with linux in a few years but Suse was really nice, easy to understand. Also Ubuntu, while bloated, is easy and probably the best way to get someone's feet wet. They will learn what they need to and eventually move on to another distro, or just modify the ubuntu one to their liking..

19. h0ser81

Member h0ser81 GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Fedora, Arch or Gentoo is the way to go. Play with Ubuntu until you're familiar with Linux and playing around on the command line then back up and install another distro. Every install is like a new learning opportunity.

20. Dter ic
    OP

Member Dter ic ~

United Kingdom
    lol, just because im asking for which disro, doesn't mean im a Linux newbie (well i was ) played with terminal for installing ccsm
    i thought of trying the new opensuse 11.3 so far nothing [​IMG] my dvd drives busted and the only method left is usb install and there is nothing on how to install it though usb [​IMG]