Gaming Which linux distro?

Coto

-
Trophies
XP
Country
Chile
Dter ic said:
lol, just because im asking for which disro, doesn't mean im a Linux newbie (well i was ) played with terminal for installing ccsm
i thought of trying the new opensuse 11.3 so far nothing
frown.gif
my dvd drives busted and the only method left is usb install and there is nothing on how to install it though usb
cry.gif

You can indeed.

Use this magic app.

Last week I came across a problem converting a iso to usb-drive format so it would be recognized at bios startup. And this app did the trick pretty well!

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

This program is wonderful! :3

You can download any linux distro listed, then convert it to a usb thumbdrive so you can boot it from any computer`s bios.

Or simply choose a iso (booteable of course, or else it won´t work) and set a USB drive letter, then proceed pressing OK.

shamiko_

~
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Coto said:
Dter ic said:
lol, just because im asking for which disro, doesn't mean im a Linux newbie (well i was ) played with terminal for installing ccsm
i thought of trying the new opensuse 11.3 so far nothing
frown.gif
my dvd drives busted and the only method left is usb install and there is nothing on how to install it though usb
cry.gif

You can indeed.

Use this magic app.

Last week I came across a problem converting a iso to usb-drive format so it would be recognized at bios startup. And this app did the trick pretty well!

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

This program is wonderful! :3

You can download any linux distro listed, then convert it to a usb thumbdrive so you can boot it from any computer`s bios.

Or simply choose a iso (booteable of course, or else it won´t work) and set a USB drive letter, then proceed pressing OK.

on the site it doesn't list compatibility with suse 11.3

h0ser81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It may not have SuSe 11.3 listed on the site but it may be in the program. If not you can always install the latest available via unetbootin and then upgrade the distro.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
There are something like tens of USB-install programs out there. I remember having used one more compatible than unetbootin. I still have it at home, as soon as I return there, I'll post the name
tongue.gif

Well, you bunch made me quite curious into arch. I'll have to try it.

Some weeks ago I was installing Gentoo all by myself (lovely how you have to partition and format manually everything) only to find that the kernel driver for my netbook's ethernet card sucked massively, and only went at something like 10kb/s. Stupid Flybook and its crappy motherboard
dry.gif

tsol

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
raulpica said:
There are something like tens of USB-install programs out there. I remember having used one more compatible than unetbootin. I still have it at home, as soon as I return there, I'll post the name
tongue.gif

Some weeks ago I was installing Gentoo all by myself (lovely how you have to partition and format manually everything) only to find that the kernel driver for my netbook's ethernet card sucked massively, and only went at something like 10kb/s. Stupid Flybook and its crappy motherboard
dry.gif

The Gentoo install has actually gotten a ton easier. A couple years ago they just dropped you at a console and pointed you to a manual. Installing Gentoo was a bloody gauntlet that few survived @_@.. it was fun though.

raulpica

With your drill, thrust to the sky!
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
tsol said:
raulpica said:
tongue.gif

dry.gif

The Gentoo install has actually gotten a ton easier. A couple years ago they just dropped you at a console and pointed you to a manual. Installing Gentoo was a bloody gauntlet that few survived @_@.. it was fun though.
I was exactly doing that
biggrin.gif
Tons of fun!

I'd have probably survived it, but with that kernel driver I couldn't ever have downloaded all the packets not even in a year
frown.gif

BTW, it seems that I've lost the USB-install program
frown.gif
Oh well, unetbootin is also good
tongue.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Veho @ Veho: Looks like Link's Awakening was metaphorical.