Which laptop should I buy?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by Jakob95, Jan 30, 2011.

Jan 30, 2011

Which laptop should I buy? by Jakob95 at 3:48 AM (1,683 Views / 0 Likes) 25 replies

1. Jakob95
    OP

Suspended Jakob95 I am the Avatar

United States
    I want to buy myself a laptop. My budget is $450. I want my laptop not to be slow, and it must have a webcam. Keyboard must be good. It has to have Windows 7. Processor and RAM must not be awful and must suffice for the latest programs right now. Also has to be able to play YouTube HD videos without lagging and stuff. Also has to be available from either Best Buy or Newegg I don't want to purchase from any other stores.

EDIT: Or should I just get the iPad 2?

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    Just to be sure, you are aware you're not going to be gaming on this thing, right?

3. Blackzeta

Newcomer Blackzeta Member

Canada
    Get a Gateway NV53A, An Bestbuy Exclusive. The processer is the best for a Laptop an AMD Phenom II X2 N660. 320 GB HDD, and a 1.3 Webcam. It also has a DVD drive and other things. It comes with Windows 7 Home Premium, I am currently using this laptop and it works great, I highly reccomend it.

4. Rasas

Banned Rasas Banned

United States
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Laptop+/+...p;skuId=1572092

Well this one has decent specs (2.5Ghz Processor 4GB Ram Graphics Card not that good but for that price it is decent) but your better off waiting or getting a ipad depending on your gaming wants.

I doubt it will run the latest programs though.

5. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I don't want to play games on my laptop. Although it would be a cool addition I never thought about it...

6. rad140

Member rad140 GBAtemp's "over quoter"

Canada
    Depends what your definition of games is. Facebook and casual games will run on any laptop but if you want to play something recent, you'll need to double your budget.
    Games a few years old should run as long as you have a graphics card.

From what I've seen in the $450 price range, you can expect:

-Budget Intel/AMD dual core processor, 2.13-2.24 Ghz range
    -up to 4 GB RAM
    -Intel integrated graphics, low end ATI graphics card
    -320 GB hard drive, on average
    -DVD drive
    -Windows 7 OS

The recommendations above seemed like good deals. Nothing that I saw looking quickly on New Egg stood out, but this (Intel, faster) or this (AMD, slower, graphics card) were on sale.

Also, don't expect much of a looker.

EDIT: If you're willing to buy a refurb, you can often get much more expensive laptops for cheaper.

7. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I forgot I want my laptop to look nice and high-tech. I don't want some ugly crap that looks like that.

8. I2aven's_Sag

Member I2aven's_Sag GBATemp Otaku

United States
    No chance, most places that offer customization/skinning services make it anywhere from $80-150.00

That said: http://www.invisibledefenders.com for aftermarket/pre-designed skins.

9. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    Not being very knowledgeable with the American market, all I found was this for $480, which is still over-budget.

Core i3, 2GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Intel HD graphics, 5 hour battery. The CPU is better than those previously mentioned, using on-die graphics, and 2GB of RAM is enough for Windows 7 (which it comes with). Also Intel HD graphics is plenty enough to play Borderlands, so any game less intensive than that will also work, as will HD video (it can playback BluRay, but it'd be more comfortable with normal DVDs).

As for laptop looks... you don't get a choice until you start spending over $800. Low end laptops will always look low end, and not many mid-ranged laptops will come with shiny cases.

10. rad140

Canada
    If you can afford the extra, that's a pretty good deal.

All laptops nowadays pretty much have a webcam, and keyboards are really something you have to test out in person.
    Also, what do you mean by the "latest programs"? You're not going to be editing HD video on this thing, that's for sure.

As I see it it, you have four options:
    1. Go for a higher-end netbook
    2. Go for a lower-end laptop
    3. Buy a desktop instead.
    4. Wait for the iPad 2.

You might as well wait for the iPad 2 to see what the thing is. Maybe there will be some better deals on laptops by then?

11. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    My cousin bought a HP laptop for $500 last year and its blazing fast. I don't understand why are you guys saying that a $440 laptop would suck.

12. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    We are saying that a $440 laptop would suck because they do. Get some more money if you want a better laptop, you're not getting anywhere with $440.

13. Jakob95
    OP

United States
  14. Berthenk

Member Berthenk Epitome of Awesomeness

Netherlands
    The second one is most likely the best. It has more RAM and a CPU at a higher clock speed. Also more CPU cache. But, both have the same crappy IGP. Should be enough to get HD video running, maybe even full HD, though you won't really need that on a resolution of 1366*768.

15. rad140

Canada
    The HP is technically the better one (more ram, higher clocked processor), but one of the reviewers said the mouse and keyboard were bad. Try before you buy, in store.

If you just want to browse the web and watch some vids, a netbook is more than adequate. And that's coming from the owner of one.

16. Jakob95
    OP

United States
  17. rad140

Canada
  18. Jakob95
    OP

United States
    I don't need a huge HDD so that doesn't affect me at all. Even 120GB would be enough.

19. rad140

Canada
    It adds up, bigger is better.
    Even though it's more, that HP Intel one is the better deal, and more future-proof.

20. Makar

Member Makar GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i3 is better, and that one even has 180GB more storage. The AMD Turion™ II computer has a slightly better graphics card, but you will still be able to watch HD video pretty nicely on the i3 computer.

Keep in mind, you say you wanna watch Youtube HD without it being slow, but a main factor in watching videos online in HD is your internet service and not the computer. If you have fast internet service, you won't have to wait for HD Videos to buffer while on slow internet it may take a while. If videos on Youtube HD load slowly on your current computer, a new much faster computer won't load the video much quicker (although there will be less frame skips).