• Total voters

Sketchy1

gbatemp's shadiest warez dealer
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry for double thread post. in your opinion, which do you prefer when getting memory?

Yepi69

Jill-sandwiched
Trophies
XP
Country
Portugal
If you want more space but you don't have enough budget for it: HDD

If you want more speed: SSD

If you have the buck to spend and you want speed and more space: SSD

Overall, SSD>HDD.

Thing is, SSDs are expensive.

Originality

Chibi-neko
Trophies
Website
metalix.deviantart.com
XP
Country
It's usually recommended for a SSD as your primary drive with the OS, apps and your main games (120GB is enough for that) and get a HDD (or SSHD) as your data drive for storing everything else (usually 1TB or bigger, as budget allows).

I personally have a SSD for OS and apps, SSD for Steam games and VMs, two hotswap bays for drives in my front panel and my DVD drive, and 5 HDDs ranging from 1-3TB each. But I've been slowly adding these to my system over the last 15 years or so, so it's not as insane as it sounds.

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
The poll says clearly which one is better, just like most gamers i'm using ssd for os and 1tb.
The 1 tb ssd price 260 euro and above, the hdd 1tb price 60 euro.
In my future build, I plan on getting the ssd 1tb for the games i play most 1 example gta v.

windhazard

Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I bought a 256GB SSD (80eur) and 1TB HDD (60eur). The SSD is used for windows (booting time) and one or two games I'm currently playing. HDD for everything else (videos, photos, games on wait list,..). It costs half the price of a 1TB SSD and is the same in usefulness.
It's not like you ever run out of Sata ports so a combination is always the best option.

Last edited by windhazard,

RaMon90

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
I bought a 256GB SSD (80eur) and 1TB HDD (60eur). The SSD is used for windows (booting time) and one or two games I'm currently playing. HDD for everything else (videos, photos, games on wait list,..). It costs half the price of a 1TB SSD and is the same in usefulness.
It's not like you ever run out of Sata ports so a combination is always the best option.
Yeah, the only advatange games gets are faster loading time, to be honest i'm patient. So i consider saving the cash unless there's a special discount.

migles

All my gbatemp friends are now mods, except for me
Trophies
XP
Country
China
Well I personally don't agree that we should store the OS in the ssd, OS nowadays are pretty fast, just because it boots 3 or 5 second faster on a ssd, since i turn on my pc In the morning and shut it at night, having a quick boot time Meh..
In my old hdd dual core windows 10 pc, the bios took more time to start the OS, than the OS booting.. And I remember the old Days of clicking the power button, go drink a coffee and breakfast and when I come back, the thing just had finished loading

However using a ssd to store games or programs yes.. That is the real deal...

But I wish windows would had a good storage management.. Or use a m2 slot drive just for caching (like a sshd uses the ssd part to. Store files we access frequently) this both speed up and keep it safe in the hdd in case ssd starts to corrupt...
Windows has too many trash inside and too much stuff you happen to be wasted into putting in the low space ssd.. (why dafuq i want Microsoft edge ready on my ssd)
Since I had loads of games.. It took a lot of storage, my 1 tb hard drive was filled with installed games, and I wish management of the m2 as a cache was possible and automatic.. I really hate to manage storage.. I mean, there is a new game I just bought, if I want it to load it fast I need to make room in the ssd, and when I don't play that game anymore and there is a new one that I wanna play and take advantage of faster loadings, I need to move Stuff around

This is not a problem with a lets say 1 terabyte ssd, but theese things are expensive as hell

That's why I love sshd.. The more I play a certain game it will make that game Ready on cache for me.. No need to manually change stuff around from one place to another..
But of course it can have is problems.. Like if the sshd has a bad cache management it can just have shit on its cache part or slow deciding to don't cache old old stuff anymore. Therefore don't making it much effective

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I guess Ancientboi would be Peter