Which is a better media player?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by Splych, May 6, 2009.

May 6, 2009
  1. Splych
    OP

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    I was thinking of buying a new MP3 player but can't decide on a Creative Zen 8GB or a Microsoft Zune 4GB?

Sure the capacity is bigger, but I am looking more into interface and videos. What kind of format can the Microsoft Zune and Creative Zen use for videos? Since I as thinking which one can save the time when converting the videos and stuff. Which interface is better, and which one seems to last longer?

2. Joe88

Member Joe88 [λ]

United States
    2nd gen zune can use WMV and MP4

3. topgunroofm

Member topgunroofm GBAtemp Regular

United States
    Sansa Fuze 2GB. Great interface and quality. Alos, it has expandable memory. Records songs with recorder and from FM tuner.

4. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    I was thinking Sansa, but I don't want it much. Since I am too lazy to find out where to buy it. Zune and Zen both have FM Tuners but will research more about Recorder.

5. TheWingless

Member TheWingless Wafuu~

United States
    It's a pain because you can only usually find a Creative, Zune, or some kind of iPod in stores...

From what wikipedia says for the Zen(I'm too lazy to go to the site)

6. Man18

Member Man18 GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    I am using a Zen Vision W.

Its big bulky with a low quality screen but I love it.

7. Beware

Member Beware GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    As far as audio goes, some Creative stuff support more codecs than you can shake a stick at, but some of the newer ones are just the same. I would look at Cowon, Sansa, Iriver, and/or Archos PMP instead of either of those two. Those have the best codec support and sound quality around (and aren't much more or less expensive than the smaller Creatives).

8. TheWingless

United States
    Honestly, I would get any one of the players that Beware recommended if you could order on Amazon or Newegg or from whatever place. Otherwise, I would probably go with the Creative Zen myself, but I don't really know much about the two. The only reason I would pick it is because I had owned a Creative product before and I thought it was great! Though from the looks of it, the Zune looks like it has "better" video support for different resolutions and H.264 if you wanted to try that... UNLESS you want .avi which is what I prefer more as it's more convenient for me even though they're just container formats.

9. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    I saw Cowon and Archos. Too expensive xDD. The Archos, is well... don't like the interface that much, so I narrowed myself down to the Zune and Zen.

10. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
    Cowon D2 or Sansa Fuze. :D (Kills what he is looking at)

11. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    My store doesn't sell Cowon D2s... And none of the Cowon stuff are in stock anyway x3
    Sansa Fuze, I am narrowing myself down to the Zune and Zen.

12. Ferrariman

Member Ferrariman Hip-Flop and cRap

Canada
  13. TheWingless

United States
    Oh sorry, the Creative ZEN is the one that has the SD card slot. I believe it supports SDHC too. But you have to go into this separate file list for the SD Card or something of the sort so it's really inconvenient.

14. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    Yep, yes it is. I actually don't mind going from one section to another. I will most likely plan it out like this...

Zen - Music, Videos
    SD Card - Pictures, Movies

Makes more sense, since music is what I will keep forever, and pictures are temporary since I won't keep them on forever.

15. ojsinnerz.

Member ojsinnerz. Damned

Canada
    DAMN, I thought it was Tinyt posting.....

Anyways, avoid new creative players like a plague. Creative is nearly dead anyway. They're on their last resort, and created the Creative Zen MX, which is awful. MP3 support, some other audio codec, Jpeg support, and CMV (Their own video codec support). THAT'S ALL IT FUCKING HAS. As for the Zen, I got to use it myself. It was so-so, but I hated the design. Creative Zen Mosaic was a pretty shitty product, and the Zen X-fi had good potencial, which was destroyed the moment it was released. It's sound quality is at least pretty good, so I've heard.

The Zune is far better. The lack of EQ is a bit disappointing, but the sound is very nice.

But then again, you probably won't notice the difference unless you had some good headphones.

16. MrDillDough

Member MrDillDough GBAtemp Regular

Australia
    Actually, I know that it isn't one of your choices, but just thought you might want to check out the Onda Vx777.

I recently got one, and I find it really easy and simple to use. Also, it plays various video formats such as avi, mpeg, flv, real media and wmv. I heard that the Onda was only capable of handling about 15 - 16 frames per second for a video, but I have tried some movies (about 25 frames) and they work perfectly fine.

But the setbacks that I found about the Onda was that the touch screen isn't always responsive and might require you to press it a few times or use the stylus to select the things you want to play. Fat fingers will not help. [​IMG] And it will sometimes lag, slightly. Oh, and the fact that they didn't make a place for you to put the stylus is also a tick off. [​IMG]

17. mayhem366

Member mayhem366 GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    Creative ZEN is the best, I've had a Creative for a long time, miss my old Zen MicroPhoto but had to upgrade as 8GB was getting too small. Now my Zen works without a hitch.

Still, I'm glad that you haven't chosen to head towards a certain Apple product.

18. TheWingless

United States
    Well I would assume if he didn't have the money for the Cowon or anyone of those, he definitely wouldn't have money for any of the Apple products I saw because they're all more expensive, unless he wanted a shuffle or something.

19. Satangel

Member Satangel BEAST

Belgium
    I would go for the Creative ZEN 8GB.
    I have the 2GB version, and it works like a charm.
    The battery life is very good and the converting doesn't take long. The delivered software does the job perfectly, you can do subtitles too.

20. Splych
    OP

Philippines
    @ MrDill ~ I actually have no idea where to get one of those in Canada. And am not planning on buying for shipping and handling if it is out of Canada xD

@ Mayhem ~ I am not falling into Apple's hands. I actually think that Apple overprices sometimes, since I look around, find similar products. Some features were pretty pointless like that one where you tilt the iPod. That was one I would rarely use. Zen is getting better and better ^^

@ Wingless ~ I wouldn't want a Apple product just as I said. Also because too much people own the same thing. So gonna be a rebel, and try to be different with another product.

@ Sata ~ Awesome. .I think I am for sure, for sure, gonna get a Zen. What kind of format are your videos?