Hardware Which Graphic Experience is Better 3DS or PS Vita?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Vita has a huge, crisp, amazingly high def screen.
3DS has...a 3D screen.

There's really no contest. The 3DS still delivers as a unique medium for playing games thanks to its dual screens, and I certainly have no real complaints there, but it took a step sideways to add a gimmick while the Vita took a giant step forward to further improving the ability for handheld games to deliver a better gaming experience.

A big example here is when people play a DS game on a 3DS, it either downsizes the screen to "look better" on the 3DS, or you can run it stretched. Personally I see nothing wrong with it stretched. It's not better or worse, but a LOT of people bitch about it looking worse.
Then the Vita, everyone is raving about how gorgeous PSP games are on it. I haven't heard a single negative thing about PSP games on a Vita, since they apparently just look fantastic, or at the very least, the same,

Psionic Roshambo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
For me its like this....

"Having strength is one thing, knowing how to use it is another!"

In other words, its not about the hardware its about the games :)

Reactions: 2 people
D

Deleted_171835

A big example here is when people play a DS game on a 3DS, it either downsizes the screen to "look better" on the 3DS, or you can run it stretched. Personally I see nothing wrong with it stretched. It's not better or worse, but a LOT of people bitch about it looking worse.
Then the Vita, everyone is raving about how gorgeous PSP games are on it. I haven't heard a single negative thing about PSP games on a Vita, since they apparently just look fantastic, or at the very least, the same,
While I don't disagree with your post, this example isn't the best one. The reason DS games look like crap on the 3DS is the differing resolutions (256x192 to 400x240 visible). It has nothing to do with the screen-quality or anything. If the 3DS used an OLED screen with the same resolution, DS games would still look like crap.

On the other hand, the reason PSP games looks great on the Vita is because the Vita's resolution is exactly 2 times the resolution as the PSP (480x272 to 960x544). This along with the OLED screen really helps make PSP games look vibrant on the system.

Little to no money goes into wii ports from HD consoles. Take the black ops port, literally TWO people worked on it, all its a matter of is how lazy the are. Since the Xbox and PS3 run around the same power and both can easily take PC ports (which most 3rd party games are made for, that or the 360) the Wii however would require a motion code and that takes just a bit more time to make then just a raw dump. All it is, is Nintendo baring 3rd party devs or 3rd devs being lazy. But it requires little to no resources and effort to port HD games to Wii.
No, you're really wrong. The gap in power between the Wii and the PS3/360 is really large. It would take a lot of money and resources to downgrade a PS3/360 game and get it running on the Wii. There's also the chance of the game not selling well enough to offset the cost of porting it and the decrease in quality. You can't just sprinkle some magical pixie dust on a game and have it run on the Wii.

Oh and you're also wrong about the PC ports. Games are made for the PS3/360 and then ported over to the PC. That's why the majority of PC games out there on the market don't take advantage of the better hardware available on the PC.

TripleSMoon

GBAtemp's Umbran Witch in [T]raining
Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
Vita has a huge, crisp, amazingly high def screen.
3DS has...a 3D screen.

There's really no contest. The 3DS still delivers as a unique medium for playing games thanks to its dual screens, and I certainly have no real complaints there, but it took a step sideways to add a gimmick while the Vita took a giant step forward to further improving the ability for handheld games to deliver a better gaming experience.
What you're forgetting is that the 3DS' gimmicks (no argument there) of the dual screen and 3D indeed DO "further improve the ability for handheld games to deliver a better gaming experience." True depth perception makes it much easier to see things, judge distance, jump under a ? block in Mario on the first try (remember that annoyance on Super Mario 64, lol), and many other things that depth perception helps with in real life, honestly. And of course the dual screen means a potential for near unlimited touch screen controls and buttons and indicators without cluttering the "main" screen. How does that NOT "improve the ability" for better gaming experience?

Granted, the PSVita DOES have a bigger screen, so I can't imagine that last bit is too much of a problem, but it's a matter of preference there... Personally, I'd take two 3+ inch screens (that can be folded and fit in my pocket comfortably) over one 5 inch screen any day. But that's just me.

At the end, the PSVita's advantages over 3DS are better graphics, a better screen, and more buttons (including dual sticks). And that's all great and cool, if you honestly prefer that over the 3DS's 3 advantages (dual screens, 3D, greater portability). All that considered, the PSVita inherently allows for a "better gameplay experience" over the 3DS... how? Better visuals are just that: Better visuals. Both systems are powerful enough to run console-like games (albeit with weaker graphics), So I don't think it's quite fair to say that the Vita's graphics inherently offer "better gameplay". Now the buttons on the other hand, those DEFINITELY do offer a better gameplay experience (the dual sticks offer for true console-style FPSes that the 3DS can only DREAM of properly controlling without the circle pad pro).

So yeah. I'm not trying to flame you or yell "YOU'RE WRONG!" or anything like that. Nor am I saying saying that having better graphics isn't a nice thing. I'm just saying that better graphics doesn't inherently equal better gameplay in any way whatsoever. It's all a matter of preference in what pros you want (and what cons you're willing to deal with) in both systems, with their various advantages and disadvantages.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I'd say the PSV wins it out over the 3DS for me. The Vita's screen is magnificent. It just looks brilliant and that for me really adds to the gaming experience. Whilst with the 3DS has a 3D screen. And 3D hurts my eyes.

Hells Malice

Are you a bully?
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you're a gamer that's been gaming for more than a year or two, you don't need some bullshit true depth perception. It's called shadows, and they work perfectly for judging jumps in a platformer, which is why platformers were huge, even with no 3D crap to "improve them". I see no difference between using shadows, and using 3D.

Also when did I rag on the two screens? Not once have I EVER said anything bad about them.
The 3DS still delivers as a unique medium for playing games thanks to its dual screens
"omg hells stop hating on the DS"

Portability doesn't mean much TBH. I can fit a vita in my pocket easily. Thus neither wins in that respect.

But that's going off topic. This discussion is about the graphical experience. While the 3DS can clear up the top screen, and make some minor conveniences with the bottom screen housing HUD elements, buttons and other shit, i'd give that up in a heartbeat for a giant, crisp and gorgeous screen like the Vita. The Vita has enough screen space that keeping HUD elements around doesn't hinder anything, and i'd say it's more convenient not needing to look down at a separate screen all the time. Graphics certainly don't make or break a game, but solid graphics definitely are a good way to go. Capability wise, the 3DS is leagues behind the Vita. It (the Vita) has much more potential for running larger, more indepth games. That's partly because of its huge screen, the fact that it's a portable powerhouse and also because it has a solid control layout that doesn't require you buy some clunky addon to improve gameplay experience.

EDIT: cool. Removing @ thing. It never fucking works anyway...guess I need to stick to quotes.

Just Another Gamer

星空のメモリア-Wish upon a shooting star- Fanboy
Trophies
XP
Country
The only thing I got from your post is that dual screen of the 3DS offers a different style of gameplay but it doesn't counter the 3D isn't anything more than a gimmick that isn't much of an advantage over the Vita, the dual screen gives the 3DS and DS an advantage over the PSP and Vita.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
"omg hells stop hating on the DS"

Also when did I rag on the two screens? Not once have I EVER said anything bad about them.
I didn't imply (or think) that you were.

Portability doesn't mean much TBH. I can fit a vita in my pocket easily. Thus neither wins in that respect.
What pants are YOU wearing? 0_0

But that's going off topic. This discussion is about the graphical experience. While the 3DS can clear up the top screen, and make some minor conveniences with the bottom screen housing HUD elements, buttons and other shit, i'd give that up in a heartbeat for a giant, crisp and gorgeous screen like the Vita. The Vita has enough screen space that keeping HUD elements around doesn't hinder anything, and i'd say it's more convenient not needing to look down at a separate screen all the time. Graphics certainly don't make or break a game, but solid graphics definitely are a good way to go. Capability wise, the 3DS is leagues behind the Vita. It (the Vita) has much more potential for running larger, more indepth games. That's partly because of its huge screen, the fact that it's a portable powerhouse and also because it has a solid control layout that doesn't require you buy some clunky addon to improve gameplay experience.
I'll be honest, if I could have a PSVita-like device that played Nintendo games, I would choose it over all others in less than a heartbeat. lol. I myself prefer what the Vita offers spec wise, no argument there. But I still think the 3DS has it's own advantages (as I listed above).

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The only thing I got from your post is that dual screen of the 3DS offers a different style of gameplay but it doesn't counter the 3D isn't anything more than a gimmick that isn't much of an advantage over the Vita, the dual screen gives the 3DS and DS an advantage over the PSP and Vita.
Read my post again, and you'll see that I did detail the advantages/disadvantages of both. Just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it has no actual functionality. ;)

Valwin

The Neautral Gamer
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say the PSV wins it out over the 3DS for me. The Vita's screen is magnificent. It just looks brilliant and that for me really adds to the gaming experience. Whilst with the 3DS has a 3D screen. And 3D hurts my eyes.

them you need help those are are really crappy eyes

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

them you need help those are are really crappy

Sorry, I speak English.

Read my post again, and you'll see that I did detail the advantages/disadvantages of both. Just because something is a gimmick doesn't mean it has no actual functionality. ;)

Exactly, 3D may seem like a gimmick but for some it can cause headaches. Yeah, I'm really not a big fan of 3D.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland

The Vita screen was hailed as the best screen on a handheld device yet by numerous critics and I can't say I disagree with that. I'm not sure if "crappy" is a good way to describe that kind of an achievement.

TripleSMoon

Trophies
Website
twitter.com
XP
Country
United States
The Vita screen was hailed as the best screen on a handheld device yet by numerous critics and I can't say I disagree with that. I'm not sure if "crappy" is a good way to describe that kind of an achievement.
AMOLED screens are beast. Seriously, It's amazing just how HORRIBLE the GBA and SNES games look emulated on my 3DS with the SuperCard after emulating them on my Samsung Galaxy S for so long. Sony made a great choice there.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom

I thought he was talking about my eyes rather than the Vita's screen.

emigre

Deck head
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Nobody knows what he's really talking about. I just assumed that he wasn't being offensive. ;)

If only someone made some sort of DS homebrew which could translate his posts into something more legible.

Reactions: 1 person

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Nobody knows what he's really talking about. I just assumed that he wasn't being offensive. ;)
If only someone made some sort of DS homebrew which could translate his posts into something more legible.
Request denied. I received a Cease and Desist letter from the C.I.A a government agency that will remain unnamed stating that I am using top-secret transcribing algorithms and in the wrong hands the application could start the third World War. This is like the Germans and Enigma all over again, they cannot let that happen. Let's just say I recieved an offer I could not refuse, I value the life of my family and myself more then some Internet prank.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: @_@