Gaming which gba game is the best?

PolloDiablo

Madre de Dios! Es El POLLO DIABLO!!!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
what makes mother 3 so good? really, I remember saw it and think: "oh... this is awful"
think I miss something

mrksem454

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy VI is by far the best GBA game to have come out on those systems. It's got the best storyline, great characters, lots of stuff to do outside of the main quest and it's beautiful graphically and musically. Also, emerald is good, You cant import any thing form blue,red,silver,gold and crystal.

BlueStar

Trophies
XP
Country
Skipped straight from my GBC with flashcart to the DS really, cos the GBA came out when I was a poor student. Really enjoyed the first Mario and Luigi game emulated on my laptop though.

Defiance

oh my god.. it's full of trading cards...
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Mario and Luigi: Super Star Sega

Awesome game, awesome storyline, awesome music, great humor.. Definitely my all-time favorite GBA game!
grog.gif

Overman1977

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
I won't say they are the best, but for me the Pokemon games and Golden Sun were the most enjoyable. I also liked the GBA version of Zelda: A Link to the Past; playing an additional dungeon and having that wicked spin attack did it for me.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
hmm best games on GBA have to be Final Fantasy VI Advance,Tales of Phantasia,Super Mario World:Super Mario Advance 2, The Legend of Zelda:A Link to the Past & NES Classic Series:The Legend of Zelda...but for games that weren't ported to the GBA it would have to be The Legend of Zelda:The Minish Cap,Castlevania:Circle of the Moon & Astro Boy:Omega Factor...sorry to you Golden Sun fans but that game isn't that great the story wasn't very good,the battle system got boring very fast and the annoying sound when people talk makes you want to play the game on mute lol

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Golden Sun. Whatever say those who don't like it, it's probably the best story I've ever come across so far on handheld systems, especially when compared to others with world maps like FF, DQ, etc., it' just so awesome how they blended the story with the travel so that it never gets boring or tiresome to go from one place to another; the battle system is very flexible and it's fun to play with it as it's got many variations depending on what Djinns you have set to whom -> awesome to watch how stats, titles and magic changes; and of course, I loved the sound when people talk. Yes, it's annoying now with some people in Animal Crossing, but in GS? I loved it. It totally fit everyone. And yes, this is rather a reply to Syko, but I wanted to state my opinion, as I hate to read how other people let this game down.
biggrin.gif

Anyway, I also enjoyed Swordcraft Story, it's got a nice original theme with a quite in-depth plot, and the best thing is that it doesn't drag on but it's up and full of life (just sometimes it's a bit of a bore to go gathering for the crafting materials, but everyone's different.). Tales of Phantasia should be fun too and so should be Sword of Mana, like others have said. Riviera: The Promised Land is catchy, because of the character interactions, replayability and battle system focusing on weapons with their abilities depending on the user, however I was hugely disappointed by how it all ends, but likewise there are those who on the contrary love it . I personally would like if it had ended in a different way, in a which it kind of did in the "bad" ending (where he does not score enough points with any of the girls), but that one didn't really elaborate and say what I wanted to hear...

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Fel said:
Golden Sun. Whatever say those who don't like it, it's probably the best story I've ever come across so far on handheld systems, especially when compared to others with world maps like FF, DQ, etc., it' just so awesome how they blended the story with the travel so that it never gets boring or tiresome to go from one place to another; the battle system is very flexible and it's fun to play with it as it's got many variations depending on what Djinns you have set to whom -> awesome to watch how stats, titles and magic changes; and of course, I loved the sound when people talk. Yes, it's annoying now with some people in Animal Crossing, but in GS? I loved it. It totally fit everyone. And yes, this is rather a reply to Syko, but I wanted to state my opinion, as I hate to read how other people let this game down.
biggrin.gif
lol i'm sorry but Golden Sun can't even touch Final Fantasy VI and there aren't even any Dragon Quest games on the GBA(not counting DQM)the battle system on Golden Sun isn't very good at all and looks rather bad even for a GBA game.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Actually, that's just another opinion, as there aren't truly any "real" criteria to rate games, except for what people think. But if you go by what people think, there is a massive GS base, as saying the battle system isn't very good - and especially the latter about looking bad "even for a GBA game" is total BS. Otherwise all review sites like Gamespot and others would say notice that and say so - at least one of them. Instead they all praise it, as they praise FF VI. So saying it's bad doesn't mean it's bad, it's just your own opinion, as is mine that it's brilliant, but you'll find that the number of people who do not like GS are vastly outnumbered by those who love it, or at least like it.

What don't you like about the battle system? Be at least specific, you just say that you don't like it and supposedly it's bad "even for a GBA game", which really sounds as if you thought it's horrible, when on the contrary is on of the best (in terms of what majority of people think). So at least try to say what you don't like about it instead of a vague term, otherwise it's just hate-talk without any weight to it.

And I never said that DQ came out on the GBA, I only compared it to "handheld systems, especially when compared to others with world maps like FF, DQ". And it did come out on other h.systems.
biggrin.gif

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
but saying that Golden Sun is better then Final Fantasy VI is wrong even if i was to say Golden Sun was a great game which it is a great game just not for me it isn't.Final Fantasy VI has been one of the top 10 RPGs of all time and golden sun isnt even top 20

and to what i don't like about the battle system is that it gets old really fast, the battles go by too slow, its nothing special to look at...also i never pay attention to reviews from sites like GameSpot or anywhere else i always go by first hand experience.I'll try a game even if it got a 1/10 rating.Like i said before in this post the game is NOT bad i just found it really boring from my experience with it and think that it's not as good as everyone claims it is.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Oh c'mon, I just told you to back-up your claims, and you still don't. You merely state it's wrong to say GS is better then FF VI, but why should it be? If someone thinks so, it's okay to say that, and saying it's not even in a top 20 rpg list is BS. Why? Because :

No.1 These are based usually on a single person's preference.

No.2 If they aren't, it's made by voting or surveys, and not everyone has played both games and other RPGs to truly compare them to each other, and when they do it's still their own personal view.

No. 3 "Final Fantasy VI has been one of the top 10 RPGs of all time and golden sun isnt even top 20" is not a valid argument, because it is actually even in top 5, like here http://games.toptenreviews.com/list_ranking_gba_rpg.htm, where you can see that it's actually higer up by one place than your beloved FF VI. And this proves that your "top place" argument invalid, especially because if you look on some lists FF VI isn't even listed, while GS is, proving that a list is just a taste of personal preference.

EDIT: Okay, you've kind of answered my question about battle when you edited it and added the second paragraph. But if you go by first-hand experience as you say, then why do you look at "top games" lists? It's exactly the same thing as when reading reviews, seeing what other people think, and whether a game is in a top ten or not is irrelevant like the ranking, especially because the lists can really differ depending on where you get them.

EDIT 2: But yeah, now with the second paragraph it's more reasonable, it's fine to think that, as long as you don't go around saying something is worse than something else just because it's not in some "top games" lists.
smile.gif
And I hope it doesn't sound arrogant, it just kind of irked me when you kept saying it's bad without providing any solid evidence.
biggrin.gif

EDIT 3: Hey, I just thought...how come FF VI battles don't get boring for you? I've played the game a bit, haven't gotten round to playing it properly as I've just finished FF V right now (which really disappointed me by the ending, it was so bland, were you disappointed too if you played it?), but it seemed like the typical FF battle system to me, which does get boring after some time unless it provides something stimulating like the prospect of new jobs and abilities in FFV or the GF abilities/draw magic from enemies and combine with stats in FF8.

syko5150

GBAtemp Syko!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Final Fantasy VI battle system is fun because at different points in the story it requires that you use different characters and then eventually you can switch the characters freely to make the battles best suited to you and not really about who is strongest or whatever(although a lot of people who play it still want the strongest party)...with final fantasy V you can change each character to the Jobs you want them to have which can either make the game harder or easier depending on how you set everything up...every final fantasy has similar things in terms of magic/summons etc but the battle systems are different in each game...FFVII required that you had all the materia set up properly,FFVIII you had to set up all your attacks and defenses with all the magic you've collected from draw points/drawing from monsters. then like FFIX you had to collect as many equips as possible to learn each of their abilities to become stronger in battles...but my main point about the whole GS to FF argument was that FF has more variety to the battle system and the story is(usually)top notch where as GS yes you have the Djinns to change the way the battle is but it gets kind of boring with the same party over and over throughout the game and honestly(this is just my opinion)i found the 2nd GS to be worse then the 1st and i don't know if i'll want to play the 3rd or not maybe to just finish the story i will.

Fel

GBAtemp's Adventurer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Well, I've already played FF I, V, VIII and saw bits of FF II and FF VI, so I already knew how the system changes from game to game and what elements prevail in the series.
biggrin.gif
I'd say that it's not true that FF has more battle variety, at least it depends on which game from the series - no. I and the DS Chronicle series sure don't, but V in terms of the job abilites could have, it depend how would you set the criteria (as there are many "title" changes in GS, especially in no. 2 with the item changes and more Djinnies).

But the thing is, everything gets boring after time unless you have to think carefully in every battle - and this happens in every FF, because unless you underlevel you party or in case you set it up really badly and therefore have to be extra careful, after some time you'll find yourself doing the same things in battle over and over again, and sometimes changing the strategy to adjust to a new area/bosses, in case both of them are immune to some of your attacks or have abilities like sleep, instant death and so forth.

So yeah, FF series do have battle variety, both meant that the series have changing battle system and that many of the titles have engaging battle s.(no. I didn't really >.>), however like I said you still find out your optimal strategies and then stick to them. With GS it's almost the same, like you say, the only difference is that because I *think* (I'm not sure) that stat growth is not based upon your title, so you can change your whole party immediately by changing the Djinnies or by equpping a special item and completely change your strategy, whereas in FF you usually have to either reset the game or grind a lot. So in that respect I think that GS has a lot of customization, however unless you like playing with this and constantly twinking your party, you still stick to several strategies like with FF, as I don't remember that I had to often change my strategies, except for the bosses, where you had to think - but maybe that was because I was a bit overleved and normal people would have to consider elemental resistances/weaknessess and so forth.

I guess you probably think that FF is not like this, because a) you didn't notice that it's basically the same, meaning you find your favourite strategies and stick to them in both games b)you really played with the battle system, tweaking the chars and so forth in FF, but like you said not in FF ("it gets boring with the same party over and over..."), so maybe if you tried to change and tweak your party in GS, it would get much more intersting. Like starting to cast spells and not just use your Djinnies and Summons (like I did, I didn't cast much), and especially trying to change roles, like changing Mia from a healer to a damage-basher, or making Garet the healer and so forth. It's that it has a lot of customization, it's only up to you to use it or not, and like in other FFs it can get boring if you don't enjoy so much the changing background and various enemies and seeing the attacks like I did - and not every FF has such a variety of enemies and backgrounds, some just have a stash of rehashed old ones. It's what you make of the game of that creates the experience, both in FF (except no. 1) and the GS.
smile.gif

Ah, now I'm itching to play it again and try this out, but I've got other games to finish.
biggrin.gif

(when I remember how it was possible in FF V to OHKO almost everything once you got the Ninja class and taught it to everyone, and you could go just with Ninjas having Heal/Summon abilities set. Fortunately I didn't, as I wanted some more creativity, it was only late in the game that I got everyone the dual-wield and then it was soooo easy. Well, it was easy even before, but I felt it was more creative.
biggrin.gif
)

EDIT: And I nearly forgot - I don't think that GS:TLA was worse, it was as awesome as GS, but I enjoyed the first one more. People who played both games probably recall how the games differed in terms of "feeling" to them, and...there was just something about GS that I really liked, that changed in GS:TLA, one of them being the party which I liked more, and the other the whole feeling of the world.
smile.gif

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDBFP_T5XHU