Hacking Which Flash Cart Should I Get?

guylaroche5

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
can the gateway 3ds play games from other regions? i live in canada and want to play the european version of the newest yugioh game

nachoaddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I'm new and I had a couple questions about flash carts. I am trying to get my GBA saves from my GBA cartidges onto my computer via the DS Flash Cart and the micro SD card. I understand you need to use Rudolph's GBA Backup Tool in order to do so. I'm using a DS Lite.

Would the cheapest flash cart on this chart be sufficient for this? Are these reputable sites to purchase from?
http://www.r4igold3ds.com/products/R4-SDHC-Adapter-for-Nintendo-DS-Lite-www.r4i%2dsdhc.com.html

http://www.r4igold3ds.com/products/Acekard-2i,AK2i-RPG-For-Nintendo-3DS-DSi-XL-DSi-DS.html

Also, does my DS require homebrew in order to use the GBA Backup Tool? Or will it load in as if I put an actual game into the DS?

Finally, do I simply copy and paste the folder into the micro SD?

Thank you!

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'm not too familiar with DS homebrew. Are there steps I need to take in order to "hack" my DS in order to run the GBA Backup Tool?

Nope. Get a flashcart that will work on your system (Since you mention GBA Backup Tool, you'd be using it on a DS/Lite, so even a cheap-o $4 R4 Revolution for DS would work), load all of the necessary files and software onto the microSD, and then run the app. That's it.

On a DSi onward, you would need to make sure you buy a card that's capable of running on your system, and make sure you pdate the card before the system when a system update is released.

nachoaddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nope. Get a flashcart that will work on your system (Since you mention GBA Backup Tool, you'd be using it on a DS/Lite, so even a cheap-o $4 R4 Revolution for DS would work), load all of the necessary files and software onto the microSD, and then run the app. That's it.

On a DSi onward, you would need to make sure you buy a card that's capable of running on your system, and make sure you pdate the card before the system when a system update is released.

Wow this is so much less painful than PSP homebrew and iPhone homebrew xD Thanks for all the help guys!

Reactions: Sicklyboy

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Wow this is so much less painful than PSP homebrew and iPhone homebrew xD Thanks for all the help guys!

Yeah, with the exception of certain games that need patches on certain flashcarts, and the aforementioned procedure with DSi and newer systems, DS homebrew/piracy is literally drag and drop. It's piss easy.

VMM

Hamon > Stand
Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil
Gateway works with DSi games? I didn't know that.
If it really does, would it be possible to use DS games with DSi enchanted features(if they have them), like WPA2 on Pokémon Black?

codezer0

Gaming keeps me sane
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Gateway works with DSi games? I didn't know that.
If it really does, would it be possible to use DS games with DSi enchanted features(if they have them), like WPA2 on Pokémon Black?

Annoyingly, it was my understanding that DSi mode was still not yet cracked in either the real DSi or via the Gateway. This is why none of the DSiWare on my 3DS works on emuNAND, nor any of the GBA VC titles I received with my Ambassador privileges. :(

I wish it were, so I could make use of it already.

But yea, as for DS mode games and homebrew, the DStwo is hard to beat.

nachoaddict

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I have a problem with the GBA Backup Tool and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong or if it's something funny about the flash cart. I copy and pasted the GBA Backup Tool folder from here http://filetrip.net/nds-downloads/applications/download-gba-backup-tool-0-21-f3228.html to my micro sd card. Then I inserted the micro sd into my R4iDS http://www.realhotstuff.com/R4i-Gold-3DS-RTS_p_86.html and powered on my DS Lite. The DS can clearly see that the card has been inserted however when I click on the box to go load the flash cart, I just get a blank black screen and nothing happens. Are there some special steps I'm missing here?

Edit: I also grabbed the Launcher.dat file from the firmware on www.r4ids.com and placed it in the root of my micro sd card.

Edit2: Just realized what I did wrong. I grabbed the firmware for the gold card and not the wood card ><

cracker

Nyah!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The firmware you are using is for a totally different clone.

Download this firmware and extract it to the microSD and you will be good to go.

The Launcher.dat actually goes on the 3DS' SD card. It is what gets run when you crash on the DS profile.

guledk

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Hi, I live in the UK and was wondering where would be the best site to buy a flashcard with the fastest possible shipping? I've checked Shoptemp but the reviews for sites are really outdated so I just wanted to know if anyone knows a place to buy safe and deliver quickly. Thanks.

kenrod

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hi, I live in the UK and was wondering where would be the best site to buy a flashcard with the fastest possible shipping? I've checked Shoptemp but the reviews for sites are really outdated so I just wanted to know if anyone knows a place to buy safe and deliver quickly. Thanks.
yes, many stores can't sell flashcarts now, and very hard to find a local fast store;
you can check BestR4i3DS.com, many people recommend them,
though it is a USA store, but can ship to worldwide.

Sicklyboy

#JOYCONBOYZFOREVER
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Working the night shift has its benefits I suppose.

Much as I sound like a broken record for saying it the DSTWO really is the best choice. It's never needed a new model in order to support newer system firmwares, and then it also has the onboard CPU that gives it a little bit of an edge when it comes to SNES emulation and a big advantage as far as GBA emulation is concerned. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Despite it being around a little while at this point, support for it from the manufacturer is still rock solid, too.

Reactions: TBoxing

TBoxing

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
i will strong recommend DSTwo tooooo,
use my DSTwo for about 2 years now, everhing is ok,
i can't recommend how many times updated,
never blocked.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum