Hacking Which DS flashcard for N3DS

fatsquirrel

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Hey guys,

Im looking for a good CHEAP DS flashcard for N3DS xl.
May I ask, which cards work on these units? WillR4 SDHC Dual-Core 2015 work?
If not, can you recommend some good ones? :)

Cheers

YourHero

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can you white list the DS cards in n3DS like you can in the original? I installed a cia to the sysnand that unblocked my DS blue card.

Reactions: Margen67

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend the DSTwo for the following reasons:
  • Fast update: The team behind the DSTwo are always on top of the game when it comes to 3DS firmware updates
  • SNES/GBA games: The extra CPU allows GBA, SNES, and other console to be emulated fine unlike other flashcarts
  • In-game tweaks: The DSTwo can apply cheats, slow motion, and even save states while you play DS games
Unfortunately, it looks like the DSTwo is out of stocks everywhere and there's no words on when it'll be back.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I would recommend the DSTwo for the following reasons:
  • Fast update: The team behind the DSTwo are always on top of the game when it comes to 3DS firmware updates
  • SNES/GBA games: The extra CPU allows GBA, SNES, and other console to be emulated fine unlike other flashcarts
  • In-game tweaks: The DSTwo can apply cheats, slow motion, and even save states while you play DS games
Unfortunately, it looks like the DSTwo is out of stocks everywhere and there's no words on when it'll be back.
I normally don't recommend a card that is impossible to find.

Reactions: tekwarfare

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
I normally don't recommend a card that is impossible to find.

But sending unfortunate souls on a wild goose chase is fun. Seriously, I can't get over the detailed description he wrote for a card that is no longer in production, why bother?

Anyway, is there a detailed answer as to why the gold version is the best?

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
But sending unfortunate souls on a wild goose chase is fun. Seriously, I can't get over the detailed description he wrote for a card that is no longer in production, why bother?

Simple answer: It's not a clone and supports all firmwares to date. Team updates firmware if it gets blocked (like supercard). You never need to buy a new card (The original one the OP linked only gets supported for a year and then they make a new cart and never update the old one.)

tekwarfare

Trophies
XP
Country
Simple answer: It's not a clone and supports all firmwares to date. Team updates firmware if it gets blocked (like supercard). You never need to buy a new card (The original one the OP linked only gets supported for a year and then they make a new cart and never update the old one.)

Cheers. I assume the Wood 1.64 firmware on their site: http://r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm is the best available?
Given that the wood firmware was released Nov 2013, I don't see Nintendo blocking DS flashcards in the future.

Adeka

Beta Tester
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Cheers. I assume the Wood 1.64 firmware on their site: http://r4ids.cn/r4i-download-e.htm is the best available?
Given that the wood firmware was released Nov 2013, I don't see Nintendo blocking DS flashcards in the future.

It should work fine. Just don't buy those stupid flashcarts that the company only supports for a year.

link6155

Trophies
XP
Country
United States

Just because it's not in production doesn't mean you can't get it. I just got a DSTwo from a member here on GBAtemp. You really can't get over the description? I think that comment was uncalled for.

Random Joe

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
why does everyone love the DSTwo so much when you can play emulators now on the 3ds via homebrew?

R4 cards gives you ds games for way cheaper

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
Suuuuuuuuure:
pic12-samebuildasr4iihjzy.jpg
They only released 12 versions without even giving them different labels so you had no idea what version you got before receiving it. And of course you had to buy new card if previous one was blocked.

Now for real info:
1) There is no original R4i cards, all of them are clones. R4i Gold 3DS just has official wood support, but other manufacturers have hacked that version to work on their cards a very long time ago.
2) R4 SDHC Dual-Core 2015 will work just fine, it won't need any additional support since DS games are not released anymore.
3) You will never have to update it, DS flashcards are not blocked anymore.
4) Don't bother with DSTWO unless you want crappy snes/gba emulators.
5) The only real difference between R4i Gold and R4i Dual-Core is RTS support on Gold but its not very good.

EDIT: 5 depends on Dual-Core version, there are 2 types of them...one uses Wood menu and other uses TTmenu which will have RTS and it'll be much better than Gold version of RTS.

nccom

Trophies
XP
Country
Estonia
It'll work fine, basically the same as Gold or Dual-Core. No new DS games have been released since what, 2012? So all the current DS flashcard have roughly the same compatibility and use same type of menu/games data.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    also gonna install twilight menu in my r4 flashcard
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    One thing that just occurred to me.... The sound on the 2600 sucked less back then the harsh sound we hear now is from infinitely better speakers we have now, back when the 2600 was new speakers produced a almost muffled sound, like CRTs made old graphics look slightly better.
    I wonder if I could recommend that to some emulation devs that perhaps the sound could use some smoothing out to simulate those old TVs
    I think a few of the early systems could benefit from that, at least up to the 8 bit generation, by the 16 bit generation I think TVs had gotten a lot better in almost every way
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    i dont have an sd card adapter but I have an usb sd card adapter
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Old people games
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    its not the one that comes with the r4
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    doesnt work (my flashcard is from r4isdhc.com)
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    might install ysmenu first
    Try Wood firmware
    For your R4
    It's old but it's the best firmware out for DS stuff
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    it says it only works for the original R4, R4i Gold (r4ids.cn), R4iDSN (r4idsn.com) and Acekard R.P.G.
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    nvm it does support mine
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    but why choose it over ysmenu @Psionic Roshambo?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    bc im stupid?
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    yea ik im stupid
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
    Just give it a try, but honestly if you have a 3DS you can play DS games without a card just off the internal SD card
    Slightly slower loading but a bit more convenient
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    guys, my fuckin headphones have an out of place speaker
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Did you try wearing them?
    B @ btjunior: @Xdqwerty 16