Hardware Which 3ds Battery Life Extender is better?

Which one?

• Nyko Power Pak+

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • CTA Travel Charging Dock

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • None of these

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

spiritofcat

Trophies
XP
Country
xbry23 said:
But how long will it be until the battery deteriorates? I never had to replace my old ds lite's battery since i got it...
Does it still last just as long as it did when you first bought it?

I haven't done a serious test of the battery life of my original DS but it seems like it doesn't last as long as it did originally.

xbry23

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
spiritofcat said:
xbry23 said:
But how long will it be until the battery deteriorates? I never had to replace my old ds lite's battery since i got it...
Does it still last just as long as it did when you first bought it?

I haven't done a serious test of the battery life of my original DS but it seems like it doesn't last as long as it did originally.
Yeah its not as long, but its not significantly shorter either. With the extra battery life, it'll still last for a descent amount of time for quite a while... buts thats assuming the extra battery is of good quality...
unsure.gif

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
definitely the nyko one, the other one looks ugly and is much bulkier

and i don't give a shit if i can remove the other one or not, i'll buy it to be used, not to be removed all the time to fit the thing in my pocket

Ravenius

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Finland
I don't think it's a good idea to start changing between the Nyko and original batteries, as the screws will probably be so small they'll wore off pretty quickly
(that's how it was in the previous versions of the DS: unscrew the battery a few times and soon you can't screw it back in anymore).

I'd probably either use the Nyko battery and that only, or then get the CTA charger. At first I thought the 3DS stand had a charging system like the CTA, that would've been a really smart move from Nintendo to combat the short battery life.

redact

‮҉
Trophies
XP
Country
Mauritania
Ravenius said:
I don't think it's a good idea to start changing between the Nyko and original batteries, as the screws will probably be so small they'll wore off pretty quickly
yeah, it'd be better to use just one at a time, the less chances you have to strip the screws, the better
tongue.gif

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
For my money it's Nyko hands down. I tried to use one of those travel rechargers on my Lite and it was just a pain. If I wanted to shove it in one pocket I had to remove it and there are two pockets gone, and it didn't add all that much extra life in the end. I actually ended up buying a second DSlite battery!

As has already been said, while bigger, the Nyko battery doesn't add all that much extra size to a system already closer to the DSlite in size. And with battery deterioration, as was said in another topic, the deterioration of a battery with longer life is less noticeable than one with shorter overall life.

With the Nyko battery I can play using it for a good looooong time, then when I know it's near the end of it's life I have a like new 3DS battery stashed away at home.

Harakiri23

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
i would wait a bit, seriously the additional gain from the nyko is not that great - why didnt they use a much bigger battery? like one with 2000-5000mha ?!

there will be enough clones

kudos to nintendo tho - the solution with the charging using a docking station was a great idea - this is the first device which allows to attach 3rd party battery packs on a device directly

Arnold Schwarzen

Trophies
Website
gov.ca.gov
XP
Country
United States
I will wait it out, it'll save money and help me decide if the Nyko battery is safe to use long-term or if I should go with something else. I'd rather Nintendo release higher capacity official batteries later on.

Wizerzak

Because I'm a potato!
Trophies
XP
Country
get one of each and charge the nyko on the portable charger. lol.

seriously: can't you just buy a higher capacity battery without having to replace the whole of the back, otherwise it doesn't really fir in with the design.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
Batteries have a set capacity. In order to get more time out of it you have to have a bigger battery. That's why the Nyko is bigger. And that's why the CTA has an extra battery in the base. Also the Nyko has it's own base because it's small increase in height is enough to make it so the 3DS's connectors can't reach the connectors in the stock charger base. Since the portable is made to use the same connectors the stock one does using both together wouldn't work.

bigpaws

Cat with da Big Paws!
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
What i mean is that the cta is no more than a pprtable charger
the battery deteriorates each charge.
so in essence, you are detereorating both the charger and the battery at the same time.
the nyko(assuming it will last) is the only thing deteriorating and the original battery is saved until the nyko dies a few years later.
the frequency of charges on the 3ds would also mean it would deteriorate faster

Skitty22

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
I am just wondering have nintendo done this whole internal battery thing to try and deter someone trying to make a pandora style service battery and memory stick.

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
I don't trust 3rd party batteries anymore. ALL my Wii charger packs died after two months of use, and my GBA SP extended life Pelican pack sucked too.
I would say just buy an extra Nintendo battery and a screwdriver with you, if anything.

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Like Schlupi, I prefer official batteries, but buying a second official and swapping is annoying too :/

Nyko could be fine if it has a good life, even if it's a little bigger than the official battery. If I had to choose, I'll take Nyko because I won't need to plug the 3DS in the dock while still playing to have twice the amount of playtime.
Playing with the dock attached might be hard.

Did anyone already test this ?
How long does it last ? (a website says 20 hours for DSlite and 5H for PSP. I guess it would be 3~5H for 3DS)
Does 3DS only recharge with the dock or does it work through the DSlite connector too ?

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
My Nyko Wiimote batteries and Nyko 360 controller battery are doing just fine years after getting them and normal usage. That said I did once own some Pelican products back in the days of the GBA and I'm right with you there, they did suck. In fact... are they even still around?

Schlupi

Gbatemp's Official Earthbound Maniac™
Trophies
Website
Starmen.net
XP
Country
United States
Cyan said:
Like Schlupi, I prefer official batteries, but buying a second official and swapping is annoying too :/

Did anyone already test this ?
How long does it last ? (a website says 20 hours for DSlite and 5H for PSP. I guess it would be 3~5H for 3DS)
Does 3DS only recharge with the dock or does it work through the DSlite connector too ?

That looks pretty promising.

Unfortunately the 3DS uses the DSi charger input, not the DSL. If that Powerstrap has DSi support than yeah it would work.

@ Donald: No, Pelican has been gone since the GBA Gamecube days.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: I really don't want to buy this fap tab...