GBAtemp's last ninja 2.
OP
Trophies
Website
gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Iran
I was thinking that maybe GBA has better emulators for SNES games like Front Mission or Chrono Trigger, since they worked on it much more than DS ones.

any experience?
i would love to play Front Mission Gun Hazzard on DS.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The SNES emulators for the DS are much better than the ones for the GBA. SNES DS uses the SNES Advance engine, while SnezziDS uses the Snezziboy engine, both of them improved with the DS's upgraded hardware. SNEmulDS uses SnezziDS's main core, or at least it did at one point.

You can try SNES Advance and Snezziboy if you'd like, but prepare to be somewhat disappointed.

4saken

Retired Ace Attorney
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
tried them, their site says Castlevania Darcula X is playable but it was SO slow and without sound!

Enjoy GBA SNES emulators then. They have no sound at all.
Snezziboy does a decent job at scaling the screen, Snesadvance crops the screen at the edges to fit it in.
Chrono Trigger plays better on GBA SNES emulators than on SNEmulDS? I don't think so.

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey now, there were a good number of games that were fully playable on the GBA if you could tolerate some slowdown. I was content with it for a year or two until I got a DS.

Also, test84, are you sure speedhacks were applied? With SNES Advance, an asterisk (*) appears next to games with SuperDAT entries, while with Snezziboy you'll see patches being applied in the command box.

Ruri

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
The latest version of SNEmulDS is very good indeed. It has support for RAM expansions; using that, I have experienced no slowdown at all on any of the games I've tried with it. It also has the option for Snezziboy-style scaling. And a much improved interface.

This doesn't mean that compatability is good, of course. The layering remains awful, and a few games still just don't work. Still, it's much much better than it was before, and better than any other SNES emulator for the DS or GBA that I've tried.

And, um. The OP mentioned playing "Front Mission" on the DS; assuming you didn't just mean Gun Hazard... you do know that there's an official DS version of the original Front Mission out for the DS in English now, don't you? With stylus support and an optional second route through the game?

DanTheManMS

aka Ricochet Otter
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
are they all mute on gba mode?
Yes, the SPC core is not emulated at all in SNES Advance and Snezziboy. The GBA is already choking just trying to emulate the main CPU. For an example of the only attempt to emulate the SPC core (without running the game at the same time), see http://forwardcoding.com/projects/spcemu.html

Of the few games I tried, I only got Chrono Trigger SPC files to run to the extent that they were recognizable.

The lack of SPC core is why the SNES emulators for the GBA sometimes freeze entirely - the game calls out for the SPC core and doesn't continue until it answers, which never happens, so we replace the offending instructions with EAEA, which is the "NOP" aka "No OPeration" code. Half of the SuperDAT patches are to fix SPC freezes like that while the other half are for speedhacks.

Keep in mind that nearly all SNES Advance speedhacks can work for Snezziboy as well, with just a few exceptions.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: though my mom has documents here on my pc