Where To Start?

Discussion in 'PSP - Hacking & Homebrew' started by Astra118, Mar 29, 2012.

Mar 29, 2012

Where To Start? by Astra118 at 8:25 PM (577 Views / 0 Likes) 8 replies

1. Astra118
    OP

Newcomer Astra118 Newbie

United States
    My friend gave me a PSP 1000 recently with 5.55 firmware and It does not have a memory card I have a few questions about hacking and putting a CFW on the device.

1. Which firmware should I have before installing a CFW for best results?( My main goal is to play ISO/CSO game files on the PSP)

2. Which memory stick/card do you guys recommend?

3. Can I insert the memory stick into the computer directly? If not, what is the process for copying info. into the PSP?

4. Are there any other things/tips I should know?

Thanks for your replies guys!

Stay classy.

2. Rydian

Member Rydian Resident Furvert™

Cave Entrance, Watching Cyan Write Letters
    United States
    1 - "Custom" firmwares are actually modifications of the base original firmwares, so for example to install 6.20 PRO CFW, you should have 6.20 original installed.

2 - http://gbatemp.net/topic/323551-what-memory-stick-pro-duo-to-get/
    That has a lot of info.

3 - Yes you can use a card reader for your PC, or you can use the PSP as the card reader (generally more convenient). For hooking it up through the PSP, if it doesn't automatically do ti when you hook in the cable (and the PSP's on), you can change the setting in the PSP's options.

4 - The FAQ tries to cover a lot, but ask if it doesn't mention something because some questions are just too broad to answer properly in an FAQ.

3. Astra118
    OP

Newcomer Astra118 Newbie

United States
    Thanks for the quick reply!!

Which CFW version do you suggest personally?

4. Rydian

United States
    Personally I suggest the 6.x PRO series. 6.20 PRO having the ability to boot into OFW if needed is nice (versus 6.60's permanent hack method which only boots into CFW).

5. Astra118
    OP

Newcomer Astra118 Newbie

United States
    So, I should upgrade my PSP firmware to 6.20 and then install the 6.20 CFW?

(Sorry for being so noobish..)

6. Rydian

United States
    It's cool, it's good to make sure you're doing it right before taking steps like this anyways, so I don't think anybody here's going to be mad at you. :P

Yeah, the sticky here has the download links you need and shows you where to put the files on your memory stick to upgrade to 6.20 OFW and install the hack.

7. Foxi4

Reporter Foxi4 On the hunt...

pip
    Poland
    1. It's a 1000 - go for the latest OFW. You can install cIPL on it anyways, so it'll be permanent. Also, 6.60PRO CFW's CAN boot into OFW, all you have to do is hold the HOME/PSLogo button while booting.
    2. If you're posh then buy the biggest, baddest MSPro Duo you can find. Sandisks are known to be the most reliable. If you aren't, but the cheapest and smallest one (256 megabytes minimum), an SD adapter and an SD card - cheaper and works just fine. CR-5400 is the adapter I recommend due to dual slots - you can expand the memory further.
    3. Copying over miniUSB works just fine but if you have an MSPro Duo slot on a card reader then it'll work too.
    4. Read the FAQ and follow Rydian's modding tutorial closely when you're softmodding the PSP. ;)

8. Rydian

United States
    Ahh, my bad. I was trying Select, like with the VSH hack for 6.20, didn't realize the 6.60 method used a different button on boot.

9. Astra118
    OP

Newcomer Astra118 Newbie

United States
    Never mind xD

I accidently skipped over that part of the sticky.