Where to start with Pokemon?

Discussion in '3DS - Games & Content' started by mashers, Feb 28, 2016.

1. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    I've never played a Pokemon game, and always felt as though it wasn't my kind of thing. But something is making me want to give it a try. Where is the best place to start? Is it better to start off from the very beginning, or is there a better game later on which could get me hooked before delving into the back catalogue?

LuigiXL likes this.

2. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Sep 14, 2015
    Qatar
    Doha - Qatar
    The best pokémon games are pokémon heartgold and soulsilver. The only pokémon games with 2 regions

3. wormdood

wormdood pirate booty inspector

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    behind a parental advisory sticker
    the correct answer is obviously fire red

VMM likes this.
  4. Bros.Life

Bros.Life GBAtemp Regular

Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    Oh my god! Never played pokemon? You haven't had a childhood.

But seriously, go to Crystal. Or you can pick HeartGold or SoulSilver if you want something more remastered. But Crystal has an unique storymode.

5. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    having never played pokemon they will all seem unique the first time

6. joyoshi

joyoshi ICUP

Oct 9, 2015
    Netherlands
    Shoved up your nose
    I'd say all games are pretty good for beginners except XY/ORAS. If you start with one of those you'll spoil yourself with the 3d models and all the fancy graphics.

7. antiNT

antiNT a.k.a Johnny El Pollo Loco

Sep 14, 2015
    Qatar
    Doha - Qatar
    Heartgold and soulsilver are the best to start. Don't chose X/Y

pikpol likes this.
  8. Bros.Life

Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    I was comparing between HeartGold and SoulSilver. Once these have a same storyline and Crystal has a different one.

9. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Even though I played Red, Blue, Yellow a LOT as a kid, I think compared to the later entries, it's very unhelpful. Items to learn moves are one use only. No run button (always needs to open item menu for bike instead of assigning it to select button), no idea what ANY of the moves does because it lacks description in game.

I recommend Fire Red/Leaf Green. They are remakes of the original Generation One games but you can also have the option to transfer them to the DS games (recommend Heart Gold/Soul Silver, remakes of Generation Two) and after that, get Black/White because that's the version that can let you transfer the DS Pokemons to the 3DS version via the Pokebank so you can finally get into the 3DS Pokemon and try out the X/Y which gives you a grasp of Pokemon in 3D.

Finally comes Alpha Sapphire and Omega Ruby, remakes of Generation 3 so in theory, you could transfer your GBA Pokemon all the way to the 3DS!

AyanamiRei, Maximilious and wormdood like this.
  10. ferret7463

ferret7463 GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Sep 21, 2010
    United States
    don't worry about which one... They all have the forced 20 minute explanation and tutorial which will bore you to death. (waiting for the day when you start a new game and your first choice can "yes, I know how to play Freakin Pokemon" and then you just start....)

11. wormdood

Jan 3, 2014
    United States
    . . . K.O. . . . you win!

12. Bros.Life

Apr 12, 2015
    United States
    I just think the new pokemon games have a pretty easy catchability rate. I remember spending around 30 ultra balls to catch some legendary pokemons in the old games.

AyanamiRei likes this.
  13. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    People are usually going to recommend the game(s) they started with. The Pokémon games are pretty much all the same thing, so it doesn't really matter where you begin. If I were you, I would start with FireRed or LeafGreen because they're remakes of the originals and include the most iconic Pokémon. Honestly, they're not very long either.

However, if you don't care about starting with the originals, I would just play Omega Ruby or Alpha Sapphire because they have the latest features and are what most people are playing right now. Some of the fun of Pokémon is trading and/or battling with other people, and you're most likely to get that with the Generation VI games.

14. Jonna

Jonna Some sort of musician.

May 15, 2015
    Canada
    Canada
    As a gentlemen who also got a very late start in Pokemon (at the ripe age of 22), I would +1 the recommendation for FireRed.

15. Osga21

Osga21 King Of All Cosmos

Jun 9, 2013
    The Cosmos
    Doesn't really matter where you begin, the story does not have any continuation so you can just play whichever one you want first, XY or ORAS may be a good start

16. MartyDreamy

MartyDreamy *bleeding nose*

Jul 1, 2015
    Italy
    In everybody's heart ♥
    Try to start with pokemon black and white

AyanamiRei likes this.
  17. heartgold

heartgold GBAtemp Psycho!

Sep 11, 2009
    London
    In this order

Firered or leaf green, emerald, platinum, black or white, black 2 or white 2, X or Y and Omega ruby or alpha sapphire.

O boy, you got a lot of catching up to do. I do suggest to play crystal and ruby or sapphire. Totally different experience even to their remakes.

Last edited by heartgold, Feb 28, 2016
    Riyaz likes this.
  18. mashers
    OP

mashers Stubborn ape

Jun 10, 2015
    Kongo Jungle
    Thanks everyone. I'm going to start with Fire Red. I'm interested in the pairing of the games (e.g. Fire Red/Left Green, X/Y etc). Are the games in each pairing completely different games, or just variations on the same game?

19. yoshinatsu

yoshinatsu GBAtemp Fan

Sep 14, 2009
    Greece
    Downtown Jigoku
    If you wanna play them (pseudo)chronologically, I'd suggest either FireRed/LeafGreen, which are great remakes of the original games (also much improved imho, and I've been playing since '99).
    I wouldn't bother with the original games. They're old, buggy, clunky, and ugly.
    If you wanna be impressed by starting with the pinnacle of the series, go with HeartGold/SoulSilver.

Last edited by yoshinatsu, Feb 28, 2016
  20. Harsky

Harsky Madmin

Aug 2, 2004
    Same game. But each version has exclusive Pokemons that can only be found in their version and must be traded over if you want to complete the Pokedex.