1. HomebrewAddict

OP HomebrewAddict Newbie
    Newcomer

Greece
    I can't find many resources to learn to code Homebrew for the 3DS, I already know some C but most of the tutorials I have found either don't work or don't explain things very well. I have made a basic app by myself but that's it. It doesn't do much. I know about GBATemp's wiki but I just can't find good tutorials. Can you please find some tutorials. I know the community on this website is really helpful so I'm sure someone will help me. (Sorry for my bad English, I'm still learning)

App's Code: pastebin . com / YHUDkZhg

Last edited by HomebrewAddict, Jan 24, 2021
    BLOCKMINER3000 and Nutez like this.
  2. HomebrewAddict

OP HomebrewAddict Newbie
    Newcomer

Greece
    Delete the spaces on the Pastebin link to see my code. There are 3 files: main.c, colors.h, colors.c.
    They are labeled like this:
    main.c:

code...

colors.c:

code..

colors.h:

code...

They are in that order.

Last edited by HomebrewAddict, Jan 24, 2021
  3. elhobbs

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    you are not going to find a lot of current/useful tutorials for the 3ds outside of the example programs here: https://github.com/devkitPro/3ds-examples

I would recommend asking specific questions - general/vague questions tend to be ignored.

4. HomebrewAddict

OP HomebrewAddict Newbie
    Newcomer

Greece
    I already know about the devkitpro examples but they aren't that helpful. They don't explain much. Thanks for the tip!

5. Nutez

Nutez GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    What sort of homebrew are you wanting to make? If you're interested in making a game, maybe you could start by following a generic C tutorial for a simple game (tic-tac-toe, sudoku?) then look at porting it to work on 3DS. Or you could try modifying an existing homebrew application and learn by breaking things :). There are a lot of interesting 3ds projects on github that could show you more useful examples than just devkitpro. You also might get quicker feedback on a homebrew discord server.

6. elhobbs

elhobbs GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    They show how to use the hardware that is unique to the 3ds. If you are trying to learn/understand general programming tasks then you are much better off learning on a pc. The tools are much better and there are lots of tutorials for the pc. Using a debugger to step through code requires quite a bit of effort on the 3ds. Doing the same on a pc is trivial.

Draft saved Draft deleted

Hide similar threads Similar threads with keywords - developing, Homebrew, Where