Where to buy a legit R4 (DS Lite)

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by HellFireXS, Dec 27, 2009.

Dec 27, 2009
  1. HellFireXS
    OP

Newcomer HellFireXS Advanced Member

Canada
    I bought an R4 SDHC but it's not official and has no new firmware and I can’t find any that works on it besides the one it listed when I bought it from dsdeals.com (which is now gone it seems) and it turned out I only own enough games to take up 1.5 GB space anyway so I don’t need SDHC support.

So where can I order a real R4DS that has and will have firmware updates (or one that allows the use of YSMenu)? Which is the best reputable site please.

Thanks

2. Depravo

Global Moderator Depravo Jaded curmudgeon

United Kingdom
    You can order one of those from the year 2007.

3. Ruri

Member Ruri GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United States
    The company that made the 'real' R4 has been out of business for ages. And the card is obsolete anyway. The answer to your question is don't. Get something like an M3 Real, or an EZ5, or a CycloDS, or an iTouch, or any card you see regular updates for on the front page of GBAtemp. (TBH fast updates are the only thing that really matters nowadays, especially with the amount of anti-piracy they're using now.)

Don't buy an R4. They were a great card several years ago, when they were one of the first really cheap and easy-to-use slot 1 cards; but they're very dated now. And they will actually cost you more than the modern, still-updated cards.

4. omgpwn666

Member omgpwn666 Guy gamer and proud!

United States
    R4 is gay to be honest,get a better cart. [​IMG]

5. Uncle FEFL

Member Uncle FEFL OBJECTION!

United States
    There's no such thing as buying a legit R4 now. Don't buy an R4. Search around this site, read the topics, the reviews, and a lot of other stuff about flashcards to see which is best for you.

6. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States
  7. basher11

Member basher11 GBAtemp's Official Vocaloid Lover

United States
    you can get a real r4 by stealing off of someone who bought one 2 years ago. [​IMG] have fun

8. HellFireXS
    OP

Canada
    ok I get the point, sorry I am a newb at this stuff which should I get then please?

Which is easiest for a newb? M3 Real, EZ5, CycloDS, or iTouch and where can I buy non fakes (If fakes exist?) please

9. Gariscus

Member Gariscus Former Team Cyclops Mod

Australia
    Out of those carts you mentioned I'd recommend CycloDS. I'm almost 100% sure no fakes exist.

10. HellFireXS
    OP

Canada
    Thank you, those are the carts Ruri mentioned, if there are others to consider please let me know [​IMG]

11. jackdanielchan

Member jackdanielchan GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Japan
    The Acekard 2i is probably a great cart to choose aswell... (Note that this opinion may be biased) The AK2i supports the DSi as the i in the title suggests and it also supports one of the best firmwares to have reached the Flash Cartridge market AKAIO... With AKAIO running on your AK2i, you will have almost the best compatibility from the whole flash cart range, with frequent team support releasing new loaders whenever any compatibility issues arise... AK2i also is a cheap flash cartridge in comparison to others, but the major withdrawl to this is the actual Hardware itself, however this should not be a problem if you don't bump your DS/i around too much...

12. rockstar99

Member rockstar99 Hi

Canada
    get an m3 its the evolution of the r4

13. Aeladya

Member Aeladya *mistressOFtheCLOW

United States

I have to agree with this 100%.

14. Splych

Member Splych GBAtemp's Lurker

Philippines
    +1.

I myself am an owner of an AceKard 2. And it is amazing. Since I don't have an plans of getting a DSi, I decided to get an AceKard 2. Then just get an AceKard 2 + akAIO firmware and you are good to go. Nothing to worry about.

The GUI is fast + quick, nice and clean, no extra clutter, and is compatible with pretty much every game.