Hardware Hacking Where can I find oled v4.1 guide instructions?

DawnWorkout

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Korea, South
Hello
I have confirmed that the nintendo switch hwfly oled v4.1 has been released. The seller just mentions that everything is the same and does not provide an exact installation guide.Where can I find guides and references for this v4.1 chip? The stethix admin says that he is no longer making guides.
I am confident in soldering, but obviously I am a complete beginner in understanding pcb principles...

spriteice

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Hello
I have confirmed that the nintendo switch hwfly oled v4.1 has been released. The seller just mentions that everything is the same and does not provide an exact installation guide.Where can I find guides and references for this v4.1 chip? The stethix admin says that he is no longer making guides.
I am confident in soldering, but obviously I am a complete beginner in understanding pcb principles...
It looks super difficult as you have to remove and then reball/reflow the emmc to install the new dat0 adapter directly underneath it (it is the green pcb in the pictures).

If done correctly, this would increase reliability of the chip long term compared the v4 and earlier 'slide in' dat0 emmc adapters, but is a super difficult task reserved for the best of the best micro solderers.

My recommendation would be to buy the v4 chip and follow sthetix existing wiring diagrams as well as his video guide on 'how to install dat0 adapter permanently', especially if you are not familiar with pcb soldering/works.

The installer that did my OLED who is a professional micro solderer even said that the v4 is not so easy.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you are using the new adapter, points D A and C are accessible on the adapter pcb, solder them to the modchip directly.
If you are using old dat0 adapters (that slides under emmc chip, whether the corner type or the full width type), everything's still the same. Solder D A and B points to motherboard, C to dat0 adapter. It seems like they included a new QSB for points A and D, but I don't recommend using it. Just do a direct connection with some thin enamel cable.

Btw that new dat0 adapter looks hilarious, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to install unless you have a bga reflow station. What's the point of changing the design while the old one works just fine? I've done more than 10 installs by now and had 0 issue with the default adapter comes with v4. Just apply a little force pushing it in while soldering the anchor point. That's it.

kerelenko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If you are using the new adapter, points D A and C are accessible on the adapter pcb, solder them to the modchip directly.
If you are using old dat0 adapters (that slides under emmc chip, whether the corner type or the full width type), everything's still the same. Solder D A and B points to motherboard, C to dat0 adapter. It seems like they included a new QSB for points A and D, but I don't recommend using it. Just do a direct connection with some thin enamel cable.

Btw that new dat0 adapter looks hilarious, it's gonna be a pain in the ass to install unless you have a bga reflow station. What's the point of changing the design while the old one works just fine? I've done more than 10 installs by now and had 0 issue with the default adapter comes with v4. Just apply a little force pushing it in while soldering the anchor point. That's it.
If you don't reflow the dat0, you will eventually experience the purple-red light issue where it will not boot your OLED.

de9ed

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I have done the full bga reball for my client. Takes much longer time using paste waiting for it to cool etc. I suggest doing the adapter reflow trick instead.

randy_w

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
If you don't reflow the dat0, you will eventually experience the purple-red light issue where it will not boot your OLED.

As long as you fit the adapter properly, no need to worry about the contact issue. I've worked on many xbox 360 corona v3/v4 motherboards before with postfix adapters, they're pretty much the same thing as dat0 adapter. Slides under the CPU and makes contact with BGA ball with friction.

kerelenko

Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
As long as you fit the adapter properly, no need to worry about the contact issue. I've worked on many xbox 360 corona v3/v4 motherboards before with postfix adapters, they're pretty much the same thing as dat0 adapter. Slides under the CPU and makes contact with BGA ball with friction.
Remember though that the Switch is portable and people and going to be moving with it. There is a high chance that friction contact will not be enough. There is also corrosion that can affect the connection. My Switch dat0 was secured properly with tape and solder mask but I still encounter this issue. The last time it happened, I had to open the Switch up and wiggle (even though it didn't perceptively/visually move) the dat0 adapter to make it work again.

Reactions: spriteice

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Sonic Angel Knight @ Sonic Angel Knight: :ninja: