Hacking Where can i find LEDs to mod them into my ds lite?

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
So long story short, I've been looking to mod the power LEDs on my DS lite for about three months but never got around to actually attempting it until halfway through last month. I've tried Google and Youtube, as well as a pile of other random sites. But, i can't find anything that I need.
I have seen enough guides and tutorials by now that I will have absolutely no problem installing the LEDs, but after 3 and a half weeks of hunting I am still not able to find what LEDs I should get/use OR where I could acquire them.

I am sorry if this is a common question, and I just seem to be looking wrong, but any help you can give me will be much appreciated.
When I get the modding done, I can post pics if you guys want... but It's not going to be anything too special. Nothing that hasn't been done and shown off before...

EDIT- I am sorry. I thought I was in DS hardware. could somebody please move this for me?

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
kwartel said:
I want to mod my power LEDs not place some cheesy frame into my DS. Meaning remove them and solder different colors back in.

I'm looking more for something like this...
shockLED1.jpg

Warren_303

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
That is exactly my thought last night, I was thinking man that would be cool to change the power light on my DS lite to blue instead of green.

I think the light that is soldered to the board might actually be an SMD LED.

EDIT:

OK so I found that site you snagged that picture from when I was searching and on the first picture you can see 3 little teeny clear cubes on the board they are the green, amber, and red SMD LED's.

http://www.n-mod.com/mods/DSL/powerled.html

Those are SMD LED lights for sure with out a doubt. A friend of mine that mods 360 controllers came over to borrow my tri-wing screw driver so he could change his girlfriends wii remotes LED's I watched him do it and they are the exact same LED's. If you have a wii remote you can look at the 4 squares where the lights blink, the SMD LED's are about that size may be a little smaller, they're hella tiny. He had a shit load of different colored ones. Also the LED's come in strips just gotta take one off with some needle nose pliers apply and solder. I have no soldering experience so I'm kinda scetched out about trying it on my own.

So anyway that's all the advise I've got for ya.

Here's some blue ones http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7574

Onyxflamegod

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Warren_303 said:
That is exactly my thought last night, I was thinking man that would be cool to change the power light on my DS lite to blue instead of green.

I think the light that is soldered to the board might actually be an SMD LED.

EDIT:

OK so I found that site you snagged that picture from when I was searching and on the first picture you can see 3 little teeny clear cubes on the board they are the green, amber, and red SMD LED's.

http://www.n-mod.com/mods/DSL/powerled.html

Those are SMD LED lights for sure with out a doubt. A friend of mine that mods 360 controllers came over to borrow my tri-wing screw driver so he could change his girlfriends wii remotes LED's I watched him do it and they are the exact same LED's. If you have a wii remote you can look at the 4 squares where the lights blink, the SMD LED's are about that size may be a little smaller, they're hella tiny. He had a shit load of different colored ones. Also the LED's come in strips just gotta take one off with some needle nose pliers apply and solder. I have no soldering experience so I'm kinda scetched out about trying it on my own.

So anyway that's all the advise I've got for ya.

Here's some blue ones http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.7574

Awesome! I think this is exactly what I am looking for, I think. I have a spare DSL that I'm supposed to be fixing for my friend. I'll test out if the LEDs work on it. Thanks a BUNCH. I had everything worked out, and I even have some soldering experience, but for the life of me I simply could not figure out what to use for the LEDs...

I will still post pics if you guys want, but it may be a while before I actually get the order from DX, sometimes their orders aren't really the fastest things around.....

And @Rayder, I don't think the things there will be too useful for my power LEDs on my DS, but I'm looking into other case mods, and those could still come in handy, thanks.

gary2010

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
you could buy them strips of little led lights for cars, any car shop like halfords would have them in. i think car neons have them in aswell

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Nut on the hill