Gaming When you download anime in avi, are the subs always hard-coded?

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Reason I'm asking is because I'm about to buy a new PMP, and it does not display soft subs. It plays avis, but obviously will only display subs if they are hard coded. So yeah, I'm just wondering if all anime in avi format have hard-coded subs. I always use mkv, so I dunno. Thanks in advance!

Trulen

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Most of the time, it's hardcoded.

But that's from me watching about 3 episodes, and then deciding I don't like reading. Promptly switched to english dub and never looked back.

War

Take it easy~
OP
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Trulen said:
Most of the time, it's hardcoded.

But that's from me watching about 3 episodes, and then deciding I don't like reading. Promptly switched to english dub and never looked back.
Thing is, not all anime are dubbed. I just want to make sure that I'll be able to watch anything.

Another question: if I download an avi and the subs are not hard coded, is there a way to hard code them?

BiscuitBee

Semi-Resident Cookie-Bug
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Canada
Format Factory and Media Coder (Both Free) can hardcode subs for you as long as you have the subtitle file, of course.

You can also convert .mkv files with embedded softsubs in the package to .avi with hardsubs. I think you just have to choose a default sub language and it will always looks for the subtitle language in the .mkv

You'll be converting it anyway for your PMP right? 2-birds-1-cup-stone solution
smile.gif

Good luck!

EDIT: Actually, this is probably the preferred way to watch anime on your portable devices as it scales the subtitle font perfectly. If you were to convert a downloaded hardsub .avi, the font would probably appear in poor condition.

Using this method, I watch anime on my cell phone (SE T707) without any readability problems.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: