Gaming When will the 3DS die?

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
And u my friend sound like a flicking soft fanboy. So soft like Microsoft. You're obviously a bro gamer or somewhat missing the point entirely. Games are about fun and precision who gives a flying duck Abt graphics? U need to stop bein so serious and just enjoy what you have. Sheesh
I didn't mention graphics once in my entire argument, what I mentioned was adequacy. If hardware didn't matter we'd still be playing on Atari 2600's (I own that one too because guess what - I don't take sides and own consoles from various manufacturers). The developers are the artists, the hardware is the canvas and tools. The canvas and the tools have to be able to accomodate the vision of the artist, otherwise they limit the scope of the piece. If your hardware puts hurdles in the developer's way, if it fails to support the tools developers use and is too limiting for them to spread their wings, it's inadequate and not fit for purpose. Some limitations can be trancended, some cannot - you can't code in more RAM or more processing power. The baseline hardware has to meet the status quo or it's just bad hardware. I have 23 dedicated gaming systems made by SEGA, Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft, Commodore and Atari because unlike some I'm open-minded and objective. I choose to judge systems for what they are on the basis of empirical evidence rather than blindly praisie one company regardless of the quality of their product.

Reactions: porkiewpyne

fischermasamune

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's a substantial difference between a low-power system and an obsolete one and that difference is adequacy. Neither the 3DS nor the Wii U are adequate in the contemporary technological climate. A console doesn't have to be high-end, that's what PC's are for, but it has to be adequate - provide a reasonable balance between processing power and price point and be sufficient for contemporary dedevelopment. Nither of Nintendo's systems this gen utilizes contemporary hardware or low-level software solutions, both are miles behind the status quo and both were obsolete Day 1, the 3DS just happens to have a following of fans to counterbalance the glaring inadequacy of its specs.

Funny how you treat your opinion of "adequate" or "obsolete" as being universal. People vote on what is adequate or not to them with their wallet. Some are happy with a PS2 or a DS. Others won't have consoles because they believe PCs are strictly superior. All fine.

If you think the 3DS/WiiU are not for you, okay. Personally, I don't think I'll buy any console among PS4/XBO/WiiU (3DS+PS3+PC cover all my electronic gaming needs), but it's fine for me if people enjoy their current-gen machines. You, apparently, consider a objectivally bad decision to own a 3DS or Wii U (which only the Nintendo fanboys would make).

andremario81

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
You just assumed I blindly praise a company. I never stated that u have to like one company or console over the other. However I did say you take it way too seriously. It's ok to be concerned with the specs of a console but I just dnt want u to lose sight of one thing:these are all just toys that are sold at toys r us and toys are meant to have fun with. As long as the Damn thing works and doesn't break on me then I'm good. I could care less Abt Shit like adequacy and status quo just give me good games.

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Funny how you treat your opinion of "adequate" or "obsolete" as being universal. People vote on what is adequate or not to them with their wallet. Some are happy with a PS2 or a DS. Others won't have consoles because they believe PCs are strictly superior. All fine.

If you think the 3DS/WiiU are not for you, okay. Personally, I don't think I'll buy any console among PS4/XBO/WiiU (3DS+PS3+PC cover all my electronic gaming needs), but it's fine for me if people enjoy their current-gen machines. You, apparently, consider a objectivally bad decision to own a 3DS or Wii U (which only the Nintendo fanboys would make).
Like I said, there's low-end and then there's obsolete - the PS2 was low-end, but was not obsolete - it was adequate for the time period it was released in. The Gamecube and the Xbox were more powerful than the PS2 and the multiplats were superior on the latter two systems, but the PS2 was a better balance between price point, specs and features plus it had a head start which allowed for an excellent library of games - the Wii U squandered its head start. The DS and the Wii are an anomaly, an exception from the general rule due to their low price point and target audience - they spread like wildfire quickly with attractive gimmicks and at that point it would be unreasonable not to support them.

The Wii U and the 3DS are obsolete, not low-end. The moment the platform poses unreasonable limitations in the way of developers, it's a problem. The Wii U suffers from game draughts specifically because you can't develop for it on the same level as on the Xbox One or the PS4, the gap between them is huge. Porting a game to the Wii U requires watering it down almost to the point that you might as well release it on the PS3/360 which ultimately have a much larger install base, but it's not always possible. We're slowly seeing developers completely moving away from the PS3 and the 360 at long last, those systems are dying and the Wii U is left in the dust with them.

Not all people vote with their wallets although they absolutely should - fanboys will invest in a system even if it's bottom of the barrel. We as consumers have to oppose inadequate hardware because it stalls progress. People buy consoles for the plug and play experience, not everyone wants to deal with a PC, console gamers prefer to just slump into their chair, pick up a controller and play - that's the advantage of the console platforms. Unfortunately, if said console is inadequate as well as poorly adopted it simply gets little support - little support leads to a smaller amount of games and a smaller library leads to lowered sales of the hardware - it's a vicious cycle.

Look at the library and the sales of the DS and compare them to the results of the 3DS if you don't think that this is a problem. It's been 4 years since the 3DS was released and it sold about 50 million units. How much did the DS sell in the same time frame - more or less? Try 96 million. This is a result of several factors - the advent of smartphones, less AAA titles, the dual screen gimmick getting old, the 3D gimmick never taking off, odd design choices (no dual analog out of the box in the 21st century? It took a revision to add a shoddy thumbpad?) and, partially, low specs that make it hard to develop for the system. Even Nintendo themselves ran out of juice on the system - look at the framerate drops in Pokemon battles or how they were unable to render the game world in 3D Mode, and that's not even a demanding game. They actually had to add CPU cores to the New 3DS to even pull off Xenoblade, a last gen port from the weakest last gen home console. Problem? Yes. If you need a stopgap upgrade half-way through the generation, there's an issue. Don't get me started on the Wii U, we've beaten that subject to death.

I could talk and talk about this, throw around stats, but there's too many factors to make a simple reply post - there's enough material to talk about that you could make a lengthy article about this. My point is that if your system isn't competitive, it's lagging behind. If you don't make a step forwards, you'll take two steps back because the competition isn't sleeping - they're going forwards, the industry keeps on moving, the games are getting more and more advanced and you're eating the dust. Nintendo has their exclusives and they'll keep them afloat thanks to their fans, but you know what's better than Nintendo exclusives? Nintendo exclusives and multiplatform games. Why not have both? I also like how we're arguing about whether or not the Wii U is obsolete when the PS4 and the Xbox One are already really low-end and that's what Nintendo's up against.

You just assumed I blindly praise a company. I never stated that u have to like one company or console over the other. However I did say you take it way too seriously. It's ok to be concerned with the specs of a console but I just dnt want u to lose sight of one thing:these are all just toys that are sold at toys r us and toys are meant to have fun with. As long as the Damn thing works and doesn't break on me then I'm good. I could care less Abt Shit like adequacy and status quo just give me good games.
I'm not losing sight of what's important - fun is the whole point of gaming. Unfortunately, for fun to be had on consoles you need the good games you've mentioned and since games are becoming more and more complex, you won't be getting a lot of those on a system that can't handle them. This is where adequacy steps in - you need adequate hardware in order to run the games in the first place, it's a pre-requisite. I'm not saying that a console should be overpowered or overengineered, it doesn't have to be a supercomputer - that was the mistake Sony made with the PS3 and lost a lot in the process. A console doesn't have to be high-end, what it does have to be is "good enough". Gamers only ever upgrade their systems because they're not good enough to handle games anymore, otherwise we wouldn't upgrade at all.

Megaben99

I'm not an intern. I'm a messenger of the Gods!
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Crazy that Foxi writes software to help owners of the 3DS if buying one is a bad decision...

The 3ds screen has something like 100 ppi...that's obsolete in 2015 any way you slice it. And I bought two of them in the past month--I enjoy them, but the tech is without question obsolete.

Wii U has sold fewer units than Sega Game Gear.... if we're talking dead systems, I'd guess Wii U is no longer supported before 3DS/N3DS is.

Reactions: Foxi4

Foxi4

Endless Trash
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Poland
Crazy that Foxi writes software to help owners of the 3DS if buying one is a bad decision...

The 3ds screen has something like 100 ppi...that's obsolete in 2015 any way you slice it. And I bought two of them in the past month--I enjoy them, but the tech is without question obsolete.

Wii U has sold fewer units than Sega Game Gear.... if we're talking dead systems, I'd guess Wii U is no longer supported before 3DS/N3DS is.
That's the thing I don't understand - I own both a 3DS and a Wii U, I even bought a New 3DS from Australia and had it shipped to Europe before it was released over here, I like Nintendo systems. That doesn't mean that I can't comment on them and my comment is that the hardware is obsolete. This isn't hate, it's observation and commentary. I code software for 3DS users for the same reason why I coded homebrew for the DS - because I love games. :P

TrapperKeeperX

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Nintendo DS lasted for awhile so I can see Nintendo 3DS lasting a long time well there is a bunch of obvious reasons. More games are out for it that alot of people love for example: Pokemon, Mario, Zelda, eShop games, Virtual Console, Freemium Games, StreetPass Games, StreetPassing. I really love to StreetPass I have quite a bit of 3DS'es to StreetPass with plus I do help others and myself too. It's worth having a bunch of 3DS'es! Nintendo 3DS is one of the best handheld I've ever had it's worth the time and the investment! I do like to StreetPass it does help out others when people don't have any puzzle pieces.

Reactions: Ryccardo

MarioFanatic64

The guy who does things
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Nintendo's handhelds seem to last a little longer than consoles, but I wouldn't give the 3DS any more than two years left, considering it's already been around for four years. Remember people, the New 3DS is just the DSi of this generation- a little upgrade that showcases a little bit of Nintendo's next original handheld a year or so beforehand.

zoogie

playing around in the end of life
Developer
Trophies
XP
Country
Micronesia, Federated States of
Nintendo's handhelds seem to last a little longer than consoles, but I wouldn't give the 3DS any more than two years left, considering it's already been around for four years. Remember people, the New 3DS is just the DSi of this generation- a little upgrade that showcases a little bit of Nintendo's next original handheld a year or so beforehand.
I really hope the platform isn't replaced until at least 2017. With the homebrew scene really heating up, I'd hate to see it all end in just a year.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

The GBC was a commercial success, its successor came out ~3 years later and met instant popularity...
The GBC was a commercial failure, its successor came out ~3 years later and took a while to be appreciated...
GBC and New-3DS have big-name dualmode software that significantly benefits from the enhancements (Gold/Silver and SSB4 is what I'm thinking of), and most notably the New is the only console of the 3 upgrade models that gives a real advantage to old-model-only software (and has a decent browser)...

So while I doubt the New 3DS will be a big thing for more than 3 years, and unlike the GBC it probably won't get too many softwares that really are more enjoyable on it, it has more advantages already there than its predecessors...

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hopefully soon, anything worthwhile has already been done. Now with all this new3ds faggotry going on, I wish Nintendo would just drop out of the console race quicker. In fact all dedicated gaming consoles should just go to hell.

I am by no means one off those pc master race people, but damn, the direction that gaming is headed is a scary one, and everyone is buying into it, all in the name of protecting so called "intellectual" (lol) property rights.

dela

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
In my opinion holds at least another two or three years. Not for another new 3ds must be amortized.
As for the case "wii u" are okay with Foxi4, the hardaware was born out of time, it has never been competitive, and the price is too high for what it offers. Apart from this, today, almost two and a half years after its release, I would buy it just for mario kart 8, New Super Mario Bros U and Zelda; I hope to get a good deal, in my opinion is not worth more than EUR 150 bundled with a game

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    nes remix 1 had the bad one, nes remix 2 had the good one
  • SylverReZ @ SylverReZ:
    @genistopitauniverfrocrami, What drugs is this dude on?
    +1
  • NinStar @ NinStar:
    CRAZY HAMBURGER
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    @NinStar both nes remix 1 and 2 had some stinkers in there
    +1
    but at least 2 doesn't have sports games
    loved nes remix, but hated having to play Baseball, Tennis and Golf in order to progress
    +1
    or fucking Clu Clu Land for that matter
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Not a big fan of NES kid Icarus either... I know it was popular but I didn't care for it.
    Yesterday I learned my BD Burner drive can burn CD's at 56X lol
  • cearp @ cearp:
    What stuff were you burning?
    I used to burn tons of dvds (data files) many years ago, but haven't burnt a disk in ages.
    My car actually reads MP3 CD's lol
    So mix CDs for myselt :)
    Pantera, Metallica, Hollywood Undead, Five Finger Death Punch, some others lol
    I can put like 90 songs on a CD lol
    if only it could read dvds then you would just need 1 disc
    +1
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i tell ya what, i could go for a fuckin gyro right about now
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    I hope your brother is doing ok Mr BakerMan
    +1
  • cearp @ cearp:
    and Psi - I had a cd player / radio that played mp3 cds once, very cool
    +1
    BakerMan yeah me too.... maybe that's gonna be dinner for me there is this place near me I have been dying to try and they have them lol
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I miss usb mp3 players they were shit but at the time a go to
    @The Real Jdbye, I thought about that and I have blank DVD's and Blurays but honestly after like 90 songs I just listen to it a couple of hundred times toss it out and burn something else or have like 2-3 CD's. Florida here the heat in the car tends to ruin the CD's after like a few months even commercial pressed ones don't last too long.
    my music collection is just too big, i require variety
    The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye: my music collection is just too big, i require variety