Hacking When was the most recent email response from Team Gateway?

Status
Not open for further replies.

F417H

Trophies
XP
Country
No problem dude, I have mailed them since with no reply... But this mail they sent me on the same day I sent them a main on the 19th. Still people have been sent emails around that time promising 'within two weeks' around that time. Indicating their time frame at that point was before the end of Feb. That's what I'm hoping anyways.

Still checking their site every chance I get to be the first in line for 2.0 ;)

They're not all that bad... We got a thread about the Diagnostic tool GW bug, cleverly hidden among some other semi-relevant info..

CraddaPoosta

Sepatown, my damie.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right there with you. I probably check the front page of GBATemp and the Gateway site more often than I check Facebook, lately.

cypher007

Trophies
XP
Country
to be honest, im not entirely sure how Gateway can say with any certainty when 2.0 will be out. I mean if they have some issues getting it to work with certain titles and consoles I think its doomed from the outset, it could take months, not "a few days" as they recently stated (about a week ago :rolleyes:). its like the old question of how longs a piece of string, it either works or you know why it doesn't and how long it will take to fix, in this case I don't think they have a clue how long it will take. they cant do as there dealing with unknown's.

or it could (more likely) be that there still trying to make the brick code 100% safe. this would also make sense if there able to give a time frame, as there dealing with something they have coded.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Anyone notice that their english seems to get worse after each e-mail. I swear when Gateway first started out they had pretty much perfect english. They must hve outsourced their email replies or just stopped trying to sound perfect.

Commoner

Trophies
XP
Country
I don't think it is purely coincidental that Gateway stopped responding to emails at about the the same time that gamerequest1 posted the video proof of the Gateway brick when using Diagnostics which I believe was on February 20.

They probably genuinely believed that Gateway users were not at risk of bricking their consoles. But when a repeatable method to trigger bricks was found, they probably suddenly found a ton of work just dropped on their laps before they could release Gateway 2.0 without exposing users to the bricking risks.

They would likely need to isolate the exact function or functions in diagnostics that trigger the brick, then do a lot of tweaking and testing to try to ensure that the bricking problem is resolved. This would be particularly problematic if the offending functions are called only occasionally during normal use but heavily during diagnostics which is likely because we have gotten complaints about bricks being triggered without going through diagnostics but can only repeat it through diagnostics.

This kind of troubleshooting is probably going to be a major undertaking, particularly since you need to restore your 3ds each time it is triggered which is not only time consuming but also blocks off a lot of methods you could normally use to debug.

So it does not seem all that surprising to me that they would need to focus all their attention right now on resolving the bricking issue even if it means ignoring emails. Perhaps they are trying to meet the deadline they set upon themselves, but I wouldn't count on it. This is the kind of thing that can cause major delays.

Lunai

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Or they just wanted to rush them so they can get back to work?
Work everyone is whining about?

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I don't think it is purely coincidental that Gateway stopped responding to emails at about the the same time that gamerequest1 posted the video proof of the Gateway brick when using Diagnostics which I believe was on February 20.

They probably genuinely believed that Gateway users were not at risk of bricking their consoles. But when a repeatable method to trigger bricks was found, they probably suddenly found a ton of work just dropped on their laps before they could release Gateway 2.0 without exposing users to the bricking risks.

They would likely need to isolate the exact function or functions in diagnostics that trigger the brick, then do a lot of tweaking and testing to try to ensure that the bricking problem is resolved. This would be particularly problematic if the offending functions are called only occasionally during normal use but heavily during diagnostics which is likely because we have gotten complaints about bricks being triggered without going through diagnostics but can only repeat it through diagnostics.

This kind of troubleshooting is probably going to be a major undertaking, particularly since you need to restore your 3ds each time it is triggered which is not only time consuming but also blocks off a lot of methods you could normally use to debug.

So it does not seem all that surprising to me that they would need to focus all their attention right now on resolving the bricking issue even if it means ignoring emails. Perhaps they are trying to meet the deadline they set upon themselves, but I wouldn't count on it. This is the kind of thing that can cause major delays.

They could have just...you know...remove the brick code.

I still find it ridiculous that people are okay that Gateway was willingly bricking other consoles, even if it was clone users.

redkeyboard

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There are no other alternatives, what do you expect?

No other alternatives? How do you know that?

Supposedly only the Gateway cart can be updated. At least that's what they claim. They could have sent out a minor FPGA update so that it works slightly different and is needed to use their latest firmware.

They also could have worked on their security so their code doesn't get cracked and fully functional within a week by a team that doesn't even know which firmwares brick and which do not.

tHciNc

Total Random
Trophies
XP
Country
New Zealand
Doesnt matter what their last reply is, considering they just spin the reply wheel and whatever it lands on, thats the reply you get

R4iFanboi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Since everyone is putting up their theories here, I figured why not!

Maybe they flew from Europe to China and had a gang war with the Chinese mafia?

LOL...

....And that children is how the first generation of 3DS flashcard scene ended, we will continue our story of how generation-deux started with 8.X exploits later and how Gateway re-entered the scene with a new brand name and with a teaser for running games such as: New Super Mario Bros.3, Super Mario 3D Land 2, Advance Wars: Days of 3D, Worms: 3D Warfare and lastly Daisy and Peach: Caught in the act 3D.

hurfty

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Albania
They could have just...you know...remove the brick code.

I still find it ridiculous that people are okay that Gateway was willingly bricking other consoles, even if it was clone users.

I think some people are under the assumption that this is still just a unintentional bug and not a deliberate and malicious code, in the former's case it wouldn't be up to gateway to simply highlight and delete the offending line of code.
That multi-rom demo video was pretty polished so i'm surprised they haven't just released it as b3 and let the users figure out the bugs and bricks since they obviously don't care about b2 causing (rare) bricks. Maybe they are focused on some actual security this time that won't be as deadly to their customer's 3DSs

Steena

Trophies
XP
Country
Italy
Could be that they're holding off with the replies because they stumbled upon an unexpected error during the last phases of testing, and they need to determine an ETA on fixing it. They did sound pretty certain about their last emails anyway, I see no reason why they would decide to say that the update is a couple days away just now, otherwise.

If that is the case, it could take quite a few days more.

lonesome_killer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Didn't your thread on an extremely similar topic get locked just a few days ago? I believe anything said in these types of threads are just gossip and start flame wars.

lambstone

No. Nyet. 不. Non. Nein.
Banned
Trophies
XP
Country
Don't close the thread. Communication between people is very crucial in nervous time of awaiting apocalypse

I agree. The main post should be updated with a disclaimer perhaps something like. ..

Warning. This is a thread for speculation and discussion. You might get flamed in this thread for voicing your opinion. By providing your own thoughts in this thread, you hereby waive all your rights to all respect that is deserved as a human being and will not moan and complain if you're flamed.

Reactions: filfat

jrr6415sun

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
the reason that they're taking so long is because they're working on a new better brick code that will brick us all

but really like i've said many times emailing them won't do anything. I guessed a long time ago they would respond by March 1st and that's what I think what will happen.

Reactions: cearp
Status
Not open for further replies.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'll reformat and have a 3tb raid0 m. 2 at least
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Lmao that sold out fast
    +1
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeet the cat.
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Good idea
    +1
  • The Real Jdbye @ The Real Jdbye:
    i thought everybody knew cocktails are like 75% ice
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Yeah but not like this.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    It's not like they're complaining that their Slurpee is 99% ice or something, but if the cocktail calls for "shot of vodka, shot of vermouth, shot of gin, shot of Campari, three shots of juice, squirt of lemon" and ends up being a thimbleful of booze, that's a problem.
    the funny thing is cocktails in norway are only allowed to have 1 20ml shot of booze
    so..... yeah
    we're used to only having a thimbleful of booze
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Booo.
    same thing if you want whisky on the rocks or something, you can't get a double
    but you could buy as many shots of whisky (or anything else) as you want and ask for a glass of ice and pour them in
    it's dumb
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Maybe.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    There was a comparison of the number of Ibuprofen poisonings before and after they limited the maximum dosage per box or per pill (i'll look that up). No limit on the number of boxes you can still buy as many as you want, so people argued it was pointless.
  • Veho @ Veho:
    But the number of (accidental) poisonings dropped because drinking an entire package of ibuprofen pills went from "I need a new liver" to "I need a new box of Ibuprofen".
  • Veho @ Veho:
    Here we have ketoprofen that used to be prescription-only because of the risk of toxic dosages, but then they halved the dose per pill and sell them in bottles of six pills apiece instead of twenty and it doesn't need a prescription any more. Yes you can buy more than one bottle but people simply don't.
  • Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo:
    Usually accidentally overdose of ibuprofen here is from people taking like cold medicine then ibuprofen for a headache and the combination is over what they need
    Veho @ Veho: https://imgur.com/gallery/QQkYnQu