Votes: 4 13.8%

• Total voters

Maeson

Trophies
XP
Country
Spain
This just seems confusing. :blink:

I don't see it being that confusing. Different people grabbed the old SNES9X GX and made alternative versions with different goals.

That is a convincing argument compared to sega cd. I don't know a single FMV based game on that console. (I bearly know any games on the console) Kinda hoping for games that don't fall into the category of "Made by the people who created the console" Or the space shooter games that people always seem to bring up when mentioning this Turbo Duo console. The wonder boy clones, bomber man games, bonk... I'm not saying the games are bad at all, just wanted something that makes it a distinguished console compared to the sega genesis and it's arcade based games, or snes with the fighting/rpg games. :ninja:

There are a handful FMV games on the PC-Engine CD / TurboGrax CD, like the Sherlock Holmes games, but the gameplay itself is your typical text adventure thing, with the videos being there more for story and dialogues.

People talk about shoot'em ups because it was one of the most common and also better genres on it, and I assure you that if you compare a list of the Shoot'em ups of both the Mega Drive and the PC-E you'll see that they share very, very few games between them. In fact that's also true for with the Super Nintendo, each one has pretty much a different selection of Shoot'em Ups, and honestly most other genres too.

Still, for more unique games, you still have stuff like Beyond Shadowgate (sequel of the game on NES/Old PCs), the Dungeon Explorer games, Military Madness and Neo Nectaris for strategy (the Wii got a sequel, which is random as hell), Splatterhouse and a whole bunch more. I also get a kick out of Last Alert, a fun top-down action game with a few "rpg-ish" touches like levelling up and improving your character and very, very cheesy voice acting that makes me smile every time.

AkiraKurusu

Pokémon's dead
Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
I like to "retro game" on either my New 3DS XL, my Wii U, or - particularly for non-stylus-focused DS games - my laptop.

The Wii and its dysfunctional motion control gimmick can rot in hell. Practically as nauseatingly awful as the Virtual Boy, I'd say.

Exidous

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I used to use Wii VC all the time but nowadays considering you can emulate all the games there on PC with the appropriate emulator theres not much reason to, or in the case of N64 games that have a low quality emulator you can just load the WAD files on dolphin to get a quality experience.
I can't imagine that today one of the ~20 N64 games released on Wii performs better in an emulator-emulating-an-emulator (Dolphin playing WADs) than in a N64 emulator for PC.

The famously difficult to emulate N64 games didn't get VC releases.

Is there a particular game you're referring to here?

Reactions: AkiraKurusu

Tsuyoshi

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I use VC (on emunand) for Nintendo 64 and Turbo Grafx 16 games. I use emulators for everything else.

The emulators for N64 don't seem to work very well, for whatever reason. But even with VC, I haven't played N64 games very much. The N64 came out when I was in college, and for various reasons I just wasn't playing video games much at that time in my life, so it has zero nostalgic value for me. And even now, I don't think the games are very good. The 3D from that era doesn't hold up very well (which applies to the Playstation even more). Even aside from that, the N64 has a weak game library, definitely the weakest of any Nintendo console. I find, for example, Link to the Past or Super Mario Kart on SNES to be more fun than Ocarina of Time or Mario Kart 64. The N64 is mostly just a historical curiosity to me.

In the case of TG16, emulators work fine, but there are couple cases where using VC is better: 1) some games which originally only had a Japanese release (e.g. Castlevania: Rondo of Blood) were released in North America on VC (I can read Japanese with some difficulty, but I can read English about 10 times faster) and 2) the CD games for some reason (compressed soundtrack?) are much smaller than the original CD images. Oh also, emulators don't seem to get the volume right for the TG16CD, you keep having to adjust the volume of the sound effects versus the music, and somehow you need different ratios for every game. VC gets the volume nice and balanced from the start.

Reactions: SaulFabre

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Hello to everyone :)
I've wrote several tutorials for injecting old retro games into Virtual Console WADs time ago on GBAtemp. Here's a list for tutorials for injecting game backups into Virtual Console Channels (in WADs) depending of your game's system:
I wrote this answer because a member also asked for these info:
I've got a good amount of game backups and was wondering if there's a way to make them into virtual console titles for the wii similar to the wii u, is that possible? Or has noone done it yet?
How do I do either of these things? They both seem really useful.
Greetings ;)

Reactions: Birdonwheels

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Pass