Tutorial  Updated

Virtual Console - Adobe Flash SWF - Wii VC Injection Tutorial

Hello, community.
I'd like to share us my Wii VC injection tutorial for Adobe Flash SWF (ActionScript 2.0 / AS2) games.

cjTj4PY.png

hWFygsX.png

1grHDnE.png

If you like Adobe Flash SWF games like Neave PAC-MAN, Miniclip SnowLine, Tetris N-Blox or others for those game systems, and you want to see in action as Wii VC games, this is the tutorial for you.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Unproperly following these instructions and/or unproperly packing the 00000000.app file CAN HARD-BRICK YOUR Wii!!!!!! DO NOT ATTEMPT TO CREATE CUSTOM Wii VC WADS unless you know what are you doing!!!!!! It's highly recommendable that you have installed in your Wii any brick protection such as BootMii as boot2, or Priiloader!

Here are the steps to inject your game!

NOTES:
  • This tutorial IS NOT FAKE! IT IS NOT AN APRIL FOOLS' JOKE! I'TS REAL. If you don't trust me, the user Larsen Vallecillo (@Larsenv) is the first person on have a proof of the WiiWare WAD "Back to Nature" (a failed WiiWare game) is a 100% entire-programmed Adobe Flash game. The hidden SWF file is in the 00000002.app file, in the "content" folder, here's the menu.swf file that is a proof of the game was programmed in Flash.
  • The injection tutorial for Adobe Flash SWF games only works when you inject SWF games that are programmed in ActionScript 2.0 (AS2) (for example, SnowLine from Miniclip, PAC-MAN from Neave, Tetris N-Blox and others), NOT IN ACTIONSCRIPT 3.0 (AS3). If you try to inject a Flash game that was programmed in ActionScript 3.0 (AS3), the injected WAD will hang and this will softlock your Wii. If this occurs, the unique thing you can do is rebooting your Wii.

----------------------
  • First, get the SWF file of the Adobe Flash game you want to inject.
  • Second, get the base WADs for inject Flash games that can be found in the website MarioCube, on the folder WAD > Flash Injects > Flash > Base. Get the USA WAD if you want to use in a USA Wii (NTSC-U) or the Europe WAD if you want to use it in a European Wii (PAL).
  • Then download the tools here: https://gbatemp.net/download/all-in-one-wii-vc-injecting-tools-by-saulfabreg.35917/
  • Uncompress the ZIP file.
-------------------

FIRST STEP - TAKING A SNAPSHOT OF YOUR GAME

1. In the “Control Panel”, open “Folder Options” and click on “View”. Make sure “Hide extensions for known file types” is UNTICKED!
  2. Get your Flash game. The game must be in *.swf. Open it in an Adobe Flash Player projector. (Get the projector here: https://www.adobe.com/support/flashplayer/debug_downloads.html)
  3. Take a snapshot of your game. Use Snipping Tool to do it.
  4. Click in 'New' and use the mouse to take it.
  5. Save the snapshot in a folder with the name of the game.
SECOND STEP - EDITING THE VCPic.tpl, IconVCPic.tpl AND banner.brlyt FILES
  1. Now open the CustomizeMii v3.11 folder
  2. Run CustomizeMii.exe as administrator
  3. In Source Wad, select the Flash base WAD you want to edit
  4. Click in the 'Title' tab, and delete the translations.
  5. Click in the 'Options' tab, and modify the game ID.
  6. Click in the 'Banner' tab, and select the 'VCPic.tpl' file.
  7. Click in the 'Preview' button
  8. In 'Banner', select again 'VCPic.tpl'
  9. Click in 'Replace', and select 'RGBA8'
  10. Select the screen capture file of your game that you maked in Snipping Tool
  11. Now, in 'Icon', select 'IconVCPic.tpl'
  12. Click again in 'Replace', and select 'RGBA8'
  13. Select the screen capture file of your game again that you maked in Snipping Tool
  14. Close the Preview window
  15. Go to the 'Layout' tab
  16. In 'Banner', select the 'banner.brlyt' file and extract it
  17. Save in the Wii VC Injecting Tools folder
  18. Now open the 'HowardC_Tools' folder
  19. Open the 'VCbrlyt9.0' folder
  20. Run vcbrlyt.exe as administrator
  21. Click in the '...' button to localize the banner.brlyt file
  22. Select the 'banner.brlyt' file that you extracted
  23. Edit the banner.brlyt file as shown:
  • Name: [Game Name]
  • Year: [year that was released the game]
  • Players: [# of allowed players], NO DASHES!!!! (Ex., write '2' for '1-2')
  • Then follow the following steps:
  1. Click in 'Save Changes'
  2. Close the VC brlyt Editor
  3. In CustomizeMii, select again the 'banner.brlyt' file and click in 'Replace'
  4. Select the 'banner.brlyt' file that you edited
  5. Now click in 'Create WAD'
  6. If the 'You changed the brlyt file, but you didn't change the brlan file. Are you sure this is correct?' window shown, select 'Yes' or 'OK'
  7. Save the WAD as '[game_name]_TEST.wad' Example: 'Snowline_TEST.wad'
  8. Close CustomizeMii
THIRD STEP - UNPACKING THE EDITED WAD

1. Now copy and paste the WAD in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  2. Rename the WAD file as 'in.wad'
  3. Use 'WAD Unpacker.bat'
  4. Click in the randomed-name folder. Here's the files that joins the WAD.

FOURTH STEP - UNPACKING THE 00000002.app FILE

1. Now go to the 'u8tool10.1' folder and run U8Tool.exe as administrator
  2. In 'Archive File', click in '...' button to localize the file
  3. Select the '00000002.app' file in the randomed-name folder
  4. Then click in 'Extract'
  5. Minimize the U8 Tool
FIFTH STEP - INJECTING THE FLASH SWF FILE AND MODIFYING THE CONFIG FILES

1. Open the VC Injecting Tools folder and the '00000002_app_OUT' folder
  2. Now open the 'content' folder
  3. Also open the folder where is the SWF file of the game you want to inject.
  4. instru_swf1.PNG

5. Make a copy of the SWF game.
  6. instru_swf2.PNG

7. instru_swf3.PNG

8. instru_swf4.PNG

9. Rename the copy of the SWF file you want to inject as the file name of the WAD's SWF file
    Example: If the WAD's SWF file name is 'menu.swf', then rename your SWF you want to inject first as 'menu.swf'. REMEMBER: If warning message that the file can be unusable, accept and continue by choosing 'Yes' or 'OK'.
  10. instru_swf5.PNG
  11. instru_swf6.PNG
  12. Then follow the following steps:
  13. Now copy your renamed SWF file to the '/.../00000002_app_OUT/content/' replacing the old SWF file
  14. instru_swf7.PNG

15. instru_swf8.PNG

16. instru_swf9.PNG

17. instru_swf10.PNG

18. OK! You replaced the old SWF file with your SWF file you want to inject!
  19. Now it's time to map the keys for be usable in the WAD and for be playable in the Wii.
  20. Go to the '00000002_app_OUT' folder and then in the 'config' folder
If you want to mod the config.common.pcf file, then do the OPTIONAL STEP and, once you finished modding the config.common.pcf file, then go to INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEYMAPPING. If you don't want, then just follow the instructions on INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEYMAPPING.

OPTIONAL STEP:
  1. Open the config.common.pcf with your preferred text editor (I recommend Notepad). You can make some fun changes to this, but the base WAD has all the preferred settings.
  2. Settings: (thanks to @Larsenv and dhtdht020 for giving us these info)
  • mouse - should be "on" if you want to use the Wii Remote cursor as a mouse, else "off"
  • midi - enables use for a soundfont in DLS format. Haven’t tested this, but if you want to play with it, set it to "on". Else, set it to "off".
  • dls_file - uncomment this line to use it (remove the "#" at the start of the line). Set it to a path to the DLS file you want to use.
  • shared_object_capability - determines whether or not to make a save file, haven’t done testing with it. In most cases, should be "off".
  • vff_cache_size - if you plan to make a save file, you can change the number of kilobytes. Default is "96".
  • strap_reminder - should be "none". Set to "normal" if you want to enable the wrist strap reminder, or "no_ex" if you want to remove the transitioning image on the strap screen about using an extension controller.
  • supported_devices - should be "core, freestyle, classic". Not sure how this works, but it seems to enable or disable controllers. Other types of comma-separated controllers that this can be set to are "balance_checker", "codetrain", "guitar", and "future".
  • hbm_no_save - should be "off". This option probably enables the “Anything not saved will be lost” message when you access the Wii Menu or Reset button on the HOME Menu.
  • quality - should be "high", but can also be "low" or "medium" if you want to use those qualities for some reason.
  • qwerty_keyboard - should be "on" if you want to use the keyboard, else "off"
  1. When you had finished editing the config.common.pcf, save the changes.
  2. Then go to the following instructions for keymapping:
INSTRUCTIONS FOR KEYMAPPING:
  1. In the '.../00000002_app_OUT'/config/ folder, go to the US folder
  2. Then open the 'keymap.ini' file in Notepad.
  3. You will see the keymapping for the game.
Now I'm showing you the listing for keymapping the keyboard and Wii buttons: (thanks to @SuperrSonic for giving me this info)

KEYBOARD:
  • KEY_LEFT
  • KEY_RIGHT
  • KEY_HOME
  • KEY_END
  • KEY_INSERT
  • KEY_DELETE
  • KEY_BACKSPACE
  • KEY_SELECT
  • KEY_UP
  • KEY_DOWN
  • KEY_PAGEUP
  • KEY_PAGEDOWN
  • KEY_FORWARD
  • KEY_BACKWARD
  • KEY_ESCAPE
  • KEY_ENTER
  • KEY_TAB
  • KEY_CAPS
  • KEY_SHIFT
  • KEY_CTRL
  • For program letter keys for use in Wii WAD iNJECTS for Flash, including the SPACE button and letters A, S, D, W, etc., go to http://people.uncw.edu/tompkinsj/112/flashactionscript/keycodes.htm for a complete list of codes in AS2 for codes for each key.
Wii BUTTONS:
  • KEY_BUTTON_LEFT
  • KEY_BUTTON_RIGHT
  • KEY_BUTTON_DOWN
  • KEY_BUTTON_UP
  • KEY_BUTTON_A
  • KEY_BUTTON_B
  • KEY_BUTTON_HOME
  • KEY_BUTTON_PLUS
  • KEY_BUTTON_MINUS
  • KEY_BUTTON_1
  • KEY_BUTTON_2
  • KEY_BUTTON_Z
  • KEY_BUTTON_C
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_UP
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_LEFT
  • KEY_CL_TRIGGER_ZR
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_X
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_A
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_Y
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_B
  • KEY_CL_TRIGGER_ZL
  • KEY_CL_RESERVED
  • KEY_CL_TRIGGER_R
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_PLUS
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_HOME
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_MINUS
  • KEY_CL_TRIGGER_L
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_DOWN
  • KEY_CL_BUTTON_RIGHT
Example: If you map KEY_BUTTON_2 to KEY_BACKSPACE and rotate the arrow keys you should get a playable game.
Map the keys of the game with the buttons you want to use on Wii.

EXAMPLE OF KEYMAPPING WITH SIMPLE KEYMAPPING CODES:

50174090601_4e4d04a5d5_z.jpg

Each mapping for the keyboard keys MUST be in the same place and they MUST be aligned vertically, otherwise it doesn't work.
Remember after you finished the keymapping coding, you must leave a space below the code, otherwise it won't work.

50174348022_bf1b90f90e_z.jpg

Once you have programmed the keymapping, save the changes made to keymap.ini.

EXAMPLES OF KEYMAPPING WITH SIMPLE KEYMAPPING CODES AND ActionScript KEY CODES:

Example # 1: This example shows how I've coded the keymapping for game "Rabid Snail" by XYZ.JOHN.COM.UA (now dead).

50173589248_c6b8bc5e90.jpg

Example # 2: This example shows how I've coded the keymapping for game "Tetris N-Blox" by Paul Neave and distributed by Tetris Holdings, LLC.

50174134436_fc72dd7090.jpg

Each mapping for the keyboard keys MUST be in the same place and they MUST be aligned vertically, otherwise it doesn't work.
Remember after you finished the keymapping coding, you must leave a space below the code, otherwise it won't work.

50174348022_bf1b90f90e_z.jpg

Once you have programmed the keymapping, save the changes made to keymap.ini.

1. Once you have edited the keymap.ini file, you MUST apply the same keymapping to all regions. For this, copy the keymap.ini file from 'US' folder
  2. Then paste the keymap.ini file you edited to the following folders, replacing the old keymap.ini file:
  • .../00000002_app_OUT/config/US/
  • .../00000002_app_OUT/config/EU/
  • .../00000002_app_OUT/config/JP/
  1. Once you have copied your keymapping to these folders, now you're able to pack the 2.app file.
SIXTH STEP - PACKING THE 00000002.app FILE
  1. Open again the minimized U8 Tool
  2. In 'Archive File', click in '...' button to localize the file
  3. Select the '00000002.app' file in the randomed-name folder
  4. Then click in 'Pack'
  5. Close the U8 Tool
SEVENTH STEP - PACKING THE INJECTED WAD

1. Go to the randomed-name folder
  2. Copy all the files (not the folders, just the files) that are:
  • - The .app files
  • - The .tik file
  • - The .tmd file
  • - The .cert file
  • - The .trailer file
  • Then follow the following steps:
  1. Paste all the files in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  2. And use 'WAD Packer.bat'
  3. This make a out.wad file
EIGHTH STEP - USING WADder TO EDIT THE PACKED WAD

1. Go to the 'WADder_Editor' folder
  2. Run wadder.exe as administrator
  3. In 'WAD to Edit', click in 'Browse'
  4. Select the 'out.wad' file that is in the 'WADpack_WADunpack' folder
  5. Click in the 'Title' tab
  6. In 'All Languages', enter the name of the game
  7. Click in the 'Create WAD!' button
  8. In the 'Banner' tab, select the 'VCPic.tpl' file
  9. Click in 'Preview'
  10. Now click in 'Replace'
  11. Select the screen capture that you made in Snipping Tool
  12. Click again in 'Preview'
  13. Click in the 'Icon' tab
  14. In the 'Icon' tab, select the 'IconVCPic.tpl' file
  15. Click in 'Preview'
  16. Now click in 'Replace'
  17. Select the screen capture that you made in Snipping Tool
  18. Click again in 'Preview'
  19. Then click in 'Continue'
  20. Save your WAD as [game_name].wad Example: SnowLine_Flash.wad
  21. OK! Now you injected your game as Wii Virtual Console game, ready to install and use!
INSTALLING YOUR INJECTED WAD:

Remember, you must have installed any brick protection such as BootMii as boot2, or Priiloader BEFORE INSTALLING ANY WAD!!!!!!! For install WADs, you must have the Homebrew Channel installed on your Wii and one of the following homebrew apps:
  • Wii Mod Lite (released by RiiConnect24 bashed on jskyboo's WiiMod)
  • Multi-Mod Manager (released by Wiiwu)
  • YAWMM (Yet Another Wad Manager Mod) (released by Leathl, WiiShizzza and Cwstjdenobs)
  • WAD Manager (released by Waninkoko)
  • Pimp my Wii (released by Attila and distributed by wii-info.fr)
Enjoy injecting your ADOBE FLASH games for Wii VC, and have fun!!! Enjoy!!! :) :yaywii:
saulfabreg

Last edited by SaulFabre,

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK TGIS IS BETTER THAN THE Larsenv version! Because I KEEP getting blackscreens & others stuff. & I am not evenly doing it right I edited the common.pcf but that did'nt work so please thanks!

Reactions: SaulFabre

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hey, SaulFabre, I will make a video of Custom VC Flash Injects so I am doing a great job making it! But it shows a blackscreen just 2 Channels. The World's Hardest Game & Ulitmate Flash Sonic.

SaulFabre

I like Yoshis and the Wii/Wii U scene.
OP
Trophies
Website
saulfabreg-wiivc.blogspot.com
XP
Country
Ecuador
Thanks for the tutorial, but how is this different from our tutorial? This one seems to have more steps.
I've added instructions for keymapping. But now I'm saying about it, how I can map the keyboard letter keys (example, P, Z, X, A, etc...) for make them usable for Wii WAD iNJECTS for Flash SWF games? This is a problem specially in Flash multi-player games, that the first player uses WASD (that i think isn't programmable in keymapping), and the second player uses arrow keys (that is programmable in keymapping). Anyone can say me how I can map the letter keys for use in Flash WAD iNJECTS? Thanks in advance

--------------------- MERGED ---------------------------

Hey, SaulFabre, I will make a video of Custom VC Flash Injects so I am doing a great job making it! But it shows a blackscreen just 2 Channels. The World's Hardest Game & Ulitmate Flash Sonic.
Ok, @mrt84. I will try to inject these Flash games for the Wii VC and then I'll say you about my results in a private message. OK? Greetings :D

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've added instructions for keymapping. But now I'm saying about it, how I can map the keyboard letter keys (example, P, Z, X, A, etc...) for make them usable for Wii WAD iNJECTS for Flash SWF games? This is a problem specially in Flash multi-player games, that the first player uses WASD (that i think isn't programmable in keymapping), and the second player uses arrow keys (that is programmable in keymapping). Anyone can say me how I can map the letter keys for use in Flash WAD iNJECTS? Thanks in advance

Ok, @mrt84. I will try to inject these Flash games for the Wii VC and then I'll say you about my results in a private message. OK? Greetings :D
ok

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I THINK TGIS IS BETTER THAN THE Larsenv version! Because I KEEP getting blackscreens & others stuff. & I am not evenly doing it right I edited the common.pcf but that did'nt work so please thanks!
Sorry very much @mrt84, I have made a serious mistake in the step FIFTH STEP - INJECTING THE FLASH SWF FILE AND MODIFYING THE CONFIG FILES, the real cause of the BLACKSCREEN is because I didn't modify that step of the ROM file, it wasn't SLOT1.ROM, it was menu.swf. I've updated the tutorial because of these reasons. @mrt84, please read again my tutorial for inject Flash games for Wii, specially the FIFTH STEP, here I've updated with the correct info. Please sorry for the inconvenience! :( :bow:

Reactions: Alexander1970

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Sorry very much @mrt84, I have made a serious mistake in the step FIFTH STEP - INJECTING THE FLASH SWF FILE AND MODIFYING THE CONFIG FILES, the real cause of the BLACKSCREEN is because I didn't modify that step of the ROM file, it wasn't SLOT1.ROM, it was menu.swf. I've updated the tutorial because of these reasons. @mrt84, please read again my tutorial for inject Flash games for Wii, specially the FIFTH STEP, here I've updated with the correct info. Please sorry for the inconvenience! :( :bow:
Okay thanks! Because the next one is confusing......

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, I did the Keymaps in keymap.ini the CONTROL buttons using the base WAD I press "Space" * & saved the keymap.ini & did everything RIGHT but when I tested out on my Wii U it says "Hm, quite empty" "Please replace the SWF". I USE Tetris game to inject it & did the common.pcf & it doesen't work so what did I MISSED?

I also replaced the SWf file in the content folder in the 02.app_OUT folder. before creating the WAD or packing the WAD.

Last edited by redfire_mrt,

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Okay, I did the Keymaps in keymap.ini the CONTROL buttons using the base WAD I press "Space" * & saved the keymap.ini & did everything RIGHT but when I tested out on my Wii U it says "Hm, quite empty" "Please replace the SWF". I USE Tetris game to inject it & did the common.pcf & it doesen't work so what did I MISSED?

I also replaced the SWf file in the content folder in the 02.app_OUT folder. before creating the WAD or packing the WAD.
If you try to do all the steps again with a clean base WAD of Flash Placeholder? Greetings

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Okay, This is the last time of MAKING Flash Injects by myself because if it dosen't work then I will use your Flash WADs instead. NOW, the 5th step is confusing. What do I RENAME my SWF because there is already a "menu.swf". I KNOW that if there is a "main.swf" then rename it "menu.swf" but what I RENAME my SWF game that I want to inject.

I'm using BACK IN NATURE with the Operations Guide in the HOME Menu of the WIiWare game I know of.

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
Okay, This is the last time of MAKING Flash Injects by myself because if it dosen't work then I will use your Flash WADs instead. NOW, the 5th step is confusing. What do I RENAME my SWF because there is already a "menu.swf". I KNOW that if there is a "main.swf" then rename it "menu.swf" but what I RENAME my SWF game that I want to inject.

I'm using BACK IN NATURE with the Operations Guide in the HOME Menu of the WIiWare game I know of.
Please see again my tutorial https://gbatemp.net/threads/virtual-console-adobe-flash-swf-wii-vc-injection-tutorial.570974, because I've updated it with the correct information and i've put photos for see how to replace the SWF. Greetings :D

redfire_mrt

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
already, last one is little confused. Can you please send me the screenshot of the dls file. Here is the one you said "dls_file - uncomment this line to use it (remove the "#" at the start of the line). Set it to a path to the DLS file you want to use."

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
already, last one is little confused. Can you please send me the screenshot of the dls file. Here is the one you said "dls_file - uncomment this line to use it (remove the "#" at the start of the line). Set it to a path to the DLS file you want to use."
I don't know about DLS, but it's not necessary. This is optional. If you don't have a DLS file or if you don't wish to use a DLS file, do not change the setting dls_file. Greetings :D

SaulFabre

OP
Trophies
Website
XP
Country
Ecuador
OKAY1 I got my first EVER Flash Game WORKING!
I'm happy your first injections for Flash works. Could you send me a proof of your working iNJECT by video? If you could, I will be happy for helping you and everyone about how to inject correctly Flash games. :D

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

Recent Content

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Sorry for accidentally bending over