What's your experience with dating apps?

Discussion in 'General Off-Topic Chat' started by GhostLatte, Nov 22, 2018.

1. GhostLatte
    OP

GhostLatte Yet Another Shitposter

Mar 26, 2015
    Antarctica
    Tinder has been treating me well.

UnwantedFortune and Lacius like this.
  2. FAST6191

FAST6191 Techromancer

pip Reporter
    Nov 21, 2005
    United Kingdom

Saw the above recently and was curious myself. Enough to consider making a similar thread asking about perceptions so I will hijack this one.

Anyway surveyed them when a client wanted a dating website made a few years back. Never used them in anger myself and can't see it happening in the foreseeable future -- I am too old these days and even if I was not then real life is better for this sort of thing. I was around to see them rise up and never quite saw why people attached a stigma to them.

3. Futurdreamz

Futurdreamz GBAtemp Addict

Jun 15, 2014
    Canada
    Scruff is fun, but unless you're fit you're just going to get pictures of things you didn't want to see.

Lacius likes this.
  4. DinohScene

DinohScene Feed Dino to the Sharks

GBAtemp Patron
    DinohScene is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Oct 11, 2011
    Antarctica
    Восторг
  5. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    I like hookup apps a lot. When I first used them, I wondered where they'd been all my life.

Last edited by Lacius, Dec 3, 2018
    UnwantedFortune likes this.
  6. azoreseuropa

azoreseuropa GBAtemp Guru

Nov 6, 2002
    United States
    Azores/Portugal
    Heck no. Don't trust it. No matter what.

7. Lacius

Lacius GBAtemp Guru

May 11, 2008
    United States
    What don't you trust?

8. WilliG

WilliG Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 28, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Luckily I have only positive experience. I met very nice korean girl not so long ago. Asian women are so exotic and caring. I found useful blog about mail order bride. Never thought it could be so easy to find mail order bride here mailorderbridereviews.com. We had a perfect first date. I really like this girl.

Last edited by WilliG, Dec 7, 2018
  9. mattytrog

mattytrog Not on my watch.

Apr 27, 2018
    United Kingdom
    Dating apps?

Lets see...

Men:
    Cheaters
    Swingers
    Socially Awkward
    Closeted gay men
    The scammers. Normally from some hellhole banana republic, looking to take advantage of peoples loneliness.

Women:
    Cheaters
    Nutcase Women.
    The fake barbie plastic women. That normally charge.
    The Eastern European women. That normally charge. Or are after a visa.
    The Asian women. After a visa

Both sexes:
    The Too Good To Be True... Will make your dreams come true if you send them some money via Western Union to help them flee the country / violent husband / wife

And inbetween:
    You might find a real genuine nice person. Like looking for a needle in a pile of needles.
    Or a psychopath who will end up chopping you up and stuffing your body parts in a freezer.

Nutshell:
    A minefield. Why people want to put themselves at risk with so many weirdos around is beyond me. Especially with this apparent rape culture.

10. Mithrandir1

Mithrandir1 Newbie

Newcomer
    Dec 13, 2018
    Burkina Faso
    not really from burkina faso
    Never been into them. The second time I downloaded tinder to use it seriously I found a girl who went to school with me and we chatted for a while (I like to think that we liked each other and that it wasn't just out of curiosity but it doesn't matter). After some hours she sent me her phone number (I didn't ask it) and she invited me to have some coffee. That's where I panicked. I told her I couldn't go because had to do some stuff and tried to stop talking with her very slowly until she stopped texting me. I eventually regretted it and realised I was a bit "blunt" and haven't used another app in a while (it's been 2 years I think).

IncredulousP likes this.
  11. Glyptofane

Glyptofane Death Dealer

Feb 12, 2009
    United States
    Good way to get a disease.

12. leafeon34

leafeon34 My profile picture is ugly

Sep 30, 2014
    Greece
    Elysium
    I've never tried Tinder before, I downloaded the app but never used it. HelloTalk has worked for me. It's a language exchange app not a dating app, but given that you meet people of the opposite gender on the app romance does occasionally happen. Only use this app if you're actually learning a foreign language; guys who use this app solely to meet girls don't get very far.

13. Lilith Valentine

Lilith Valentine GBATemp's Wolf-husky™ definitely not Lilith

Sep 13, 2009
    Antarctica
    Many moons away
    I tried for a short period of time and just mostly ended up getting hit on by guys who saw me as a fetish and ignored the fact that I wasn't looking for guys.
    Although, I should note that was actually just a furry site's app designed for everything from dating to friends and there was no filter. So I guess I kind of walked into my own problem on that one.

Last edited by Lilith Valentine, Dec 14, 2018
  14. chrisrlink

chrisrlink Intel Pentium III Hamster inside

Aug 27, 2009
    United States
    inside your crappy old PC
    most are garbage I tend to try dating chatrooms rather than apps or IMVU

15. osaka35

osaka35 Instructional Designer

GBAtemp Patron
    osaka35 is a Patron of GBAtemp and is helping us stay independent!

Our Patreon
    Nov 20, 2009
    United States
    Silent Hill
    There's a lot of ghosting, a lot of spam, and a lot of people looking for the hottest person to find them attractive.

I use tinder and bumble with not much success.

I'm also fairly picky, and swipe no on most people. I only want what I want, not a "good enough". Those I do match with tend to ghost on me or I forget to respond quickly because of school.

I'm ̶3̶3̶0̶0̶9̶8̶ 33 solar years, but look 25. People my age think I'm too young, people younger think I'm too old. And here I thought a young face would help when I got older.

Last edited by osaka35, Jan 28, 2019
  16. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    A lot of spam bots, fake accounts.

Captain_N likes this.
  17. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    I used to use PoF, OkC, Tinder, etc, but now I find it easier to just talk to women randomly. Online personas are *nice* if you never meet the person--I'd rather cash u ousside (how bow dah), no makeup, no coffee, pissed off, with a resting bitch face after you just farted and hoped no one would walk by.

Captain_N likes this.
  18. Hayato213

Hayato213 GBAtemp Psycho!

Dec 26, 2015
    United States
    Except POF is all bots now, real female is just ignoring guys, I had a friend bitch about that he gotten ignored.

19. H1B1Esquire

H1B1Esquire RxTools, the ultimate CFW machine.

Nov 2, 2016
    United States
    Earth, bro-dude.
    It does happen, but I've noticed if the picture looks too good, it's a dude in Nigeria.

Granted, if you're going around stalking women, asking for a beej in the first message, you have no picture, etc, you've got about .09% of a chance that you'll even get your page viewed by the person you messaged.

Of course, could it be that your friend isn't someone women want in a partner in your area? Women have preferences.

Hayato213 likes this.
  20. UnwantedFortune

UnwantedFortune Advanced Member

Newcomer
    Mar 16, 2017
    United States
    Well of Unfortunate Miracles
    I've found two girlfriends on Tinder, but that's really the extent of my internet dating life. I never get very many matches and typically the ones I do get, don't really talk much or just unmatch with me within minutes. It's really not that easy. I've been using Tinder for, maybe about over a year.

EDIT: I've also never had a hookup, the idea of it just seems strange but if the opportunity came up I'd probably be willing to try.

Last edited by UnwantedFortune, Feb 5, 2019