Hardware What's up with the IR sensor thing?

evolance7

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Malaysia
Virtual Console on 3DS.
Remember the GBC games using infrared instead of Gameboy link cables?
I hope they implement this.
Oh boy, it's going to be sweet if they put this much effort to support old GBC games.

bowser

Mwa ha ha ha!
Trophies
XP
Country
India
Supreme Dirt said:
LOL

Guys.

It's for the GBC Virtual Console.

Case closed.
Now that's much more likely!
yay.gif

Nollog

Trophies
XP
Country
Ireland
Windaga said:
This is probably hopeful thinking but, doesn't the Wii's sensor bar use IR? You think it could be used in, one way or another, with the Wii? I mean, I'd think wireless connections would be easier, but who knows.
wiimote has ir camera, sensor bar has 3,2,4,or 6 LED's.

don't understand why they don't just use wireless, or dumb down the wireless card to act like a bluetooth device since they're pretty much the same thing.

Donald Serrot

Trophies
Website
3dporch.com
XP
Country
United States
The way I see it, Nintendo seems to like to test stuff out with Pokemon. Remember how Fire Red and Leaf Green had those GBA Wireless link cables? Not long after that we had the DS with built in wireless multiplayer. In HG and SS they used IR for the Pokewalker, and that may have partially been just for the Pokewalker, but they could have done better. Now we have a 3DS with this mysterious IR port. And what do we have to look forward to next? Well... they did just do some video chat in B/W right? I think that we may have some more of that in the days to come.
wink.gif

jamesaa

The Prince of Insufficient Light
Trophies
XP
It's likely alot cheaper to make accessories with an ir port than bluetooth (for example the pokewalker) so i would assume it's likely to be used for small little things such as that (and hopefully GBC), whether or not it really gets used much is another matter.

As for if the 3DS has bluetooth, the operations manual does not have bluetooth listed in the index, and i cannot see any bluetooth logos on the box or console. So it's seems safe to say it doesn't have it.

koji2009

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
jamesaa said:
It's likely alot cheaper to make accessories with an ir port than bluetooth (for example the pokewalker) so i would assume it's likely to be used for small little things such as that (and hopefully GBC), whether or not it really gets used much is another matter.

As for if the 3DS has bluetooth, the operations manual does not have bluetooth listed in the index, and i cannot see any bluetooth logos on the box or console. So it's seems safe to say it doesn't have it.

Bluetooth is unnecessary with the wifi adapter in most situations... The IR sensor as mentioned earlier is almost certainly for cheaper accessory connection. The GBA had a dedicated port which worked well, and then the original DS/Lite had the GBA slot for things like the guitar hero addon... But the 3ds doesn't have any hard connection ports. That's where the IR sensor will come in. That way controller add ons or possibly other cheap devices can have a means of communication with the system.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    It must be the 1st already
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    1st of what?
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    may?
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Oh yeah it's in September
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    @BakerMan, yea i think its different
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    ok, because here it's in september, right before the fuckin school year starts
  • Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty:
    good night
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    as to you
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    How do you know if the night will be good when you're asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    because i didn't say i was asleep
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    i said i was sleeping...
  • BakerMan @ BakerMan:
    sleeping with uremum
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Even my mum slept on that uremum
  • TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands:
    yall im torn... ive been hacking away at tales of phantasia GBA (the USA version) and have so many documents of reverse engineering i've done
    I just found out that the EU version is better in literally every way, better sound quality, better lighting, and there's even a patch someone made to make the text look nicer
    Do I restart now using what i've learned on the EU version since it's a better overall experience? or do I continue with the US version since that is what ive been using, and if someone decides to play my hack, it would most likely be that version?
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    @TwoSpikedHands, I'll preface this with the fact that I know nothing about the game, but, I think it depends on what your goals are. Are you trying to make a definitive version of the game? You may want to refocus your efforts on the EU version then. Or, are you trying to make a better US version? In which case, the only way to make a better US version is to keep on plugging away at that one ;)
  • Sicklyboy @ Sicklyboy:
    I'm not familiar with the technicalities of the differences between the two versions, but I'm wondering if at least some of those differences are things that you could port over to the US version in your patch without having to include copyrighted assets from the EU version
    @Sicklyboy I am wanting to fully change the game and bend it to my will lol. I would like to eventually have the ability to add more characters, enemies, even have a completely different story if i wanted. I already have the ability to change the tilemaps in the US version, so I can basically make my own map and warp to it in game - so I'm pretty far into it!
    I really would like to make a hack that I would enjoy playing, and maybe other people would too. swapping to the EU version would also mean my US friends could not legally play it
    I am definitely considering porting over some of the EU features without using the actual ROM itself, tbh that would probably be the best way to go about it... but i'm sad that the voice acting is so.... not good on the US version. May not be a way around that though
    I appreciate the insight!
    TwoSpikedHands @ TwoSpikedHands: I appreciate the insight!