Hacking Whats this about UsbloaderGx Needs to be confirmed

cobleman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
CAUTION - USBLoader GX is frequently related to bricks when using FAT/NTFS drives.
This is what it reads in the WinnerTag.
How about some proof anyone here have this happen and under what circumstances?
How did it happen ? What where you doing at the time?

Daileon

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Brazil
cobleman said:
None of those links prooved the loader was the cause at all!

I'll not argue with you because it will not help. But this kind of issue only happens with users using USB Loader GX, FAT/NTFS and newer cIOS, so the message will stay in the website until a new version of the loader supports newer cIOS and other file systems.

If the loader works fine for you, that's awesome, GX is a very good loader, my first one and the one I most used, but other users had problems with it, and these users lost their wii. I'm just playing safe, and I don't want to read "Wiinnertag bricked my wii" because of a loader's fault.

QUOTE(BloodyFlame @ Sep 12 2010, 04:09 AM) It's the *.wad files that could possibly brick your Wii.

Not only WAD files/installers could brick the Wii.

pepxl

GFX W!Z4RD
Trophies
XP
Country
Not perfect as the issue was deleted to stop further comments and coundt get a cache

Look closely to the descriptions under each search link and you will notice thew mentions of bricks

GOOGLE

Better, you can read the actuall comments HERE

cobleman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I had a good read of all the posts now i need to know how many of those that have bricked WII's could no longer boot priiloader or preloader anymore? It starts before any system menu just like Bootmii so it should still be loading!

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
What could help, is a nand dump of bricked Wii.
Though, it seems only black Wii are bricked (from the issues comments), and they don't have bootmii boot2 to make the dump
frown.gif

Edit : Beaten by cobleman
tongue.gif
Priiloader could help too, yes.

Is there a specific game which bricked their wii ? they never told which game they were running.

I also see "I always used rev17 as requested in the readme, and NTFS bricked my Wii" stupid comment, as ntfs is not supported with rev17.
It shows how users don't even understand their own setups :/

The problem with development, and bug reports is that users only rant but never come back to help the devs
frown.gif

(I'm a dev too, and sometime I would like more informations on problems they encountered, but they never help you back)

pedimaisum

Trophies
Website
blogs.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
I bricked my Wii using GX... well, I was making a really newbie think without a little reflection before do it, but, if I make this with CFG, it just freeze or restart, not brick...

I'm install a iso forwarders of Contra rebirth, pointing to the wad installed on the Emulated Nand on FAT partition. Works fine with CFG.

but... I try to install the ISO Forwarder on a WBFS partition (yeah, ok, newbie).. and try to load with GX and IOS 249. But I forgot this: The forwarder was pointing to a FAT partition and the 249 rev 14 does'nt suport this...

Press A on the game, black screen, bye bye Wii.... HBC dont load anymore from bootmii (boot2)... Sys Menu dont load.... bootmini.elf of Hackmii dont load....Nothing load throug the Bootmii....Try to recovery with cBoot2+WadManager but "No IOS Find". Nand usage=3%.

I think that thing formatted All the NAND...

I have my Nand Backup and I restore this, everythings OK after the restore...

But... I have some kind experience in this things and I make a big Shi* with my wii with GX.... imagine the REALLY newbies....

and I read many people saying that brick your wiis loading games with 249 rev14 on FAT partitions...

If was in CFG, this generate a Warning, followed by a restart to wii menu...

I think the "Warning" in the Wiinnertag is a good thing...

cobleman

OP
Trophies
XP
Country
I cant see why you blamed UsbloaderGx for your Nand being corrupted for you trying to use your real nand as an emulated nand or is that not what you where trying to do?
Where did you get the forwarder from?

Cyan

GBATemp's lurking knight
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
France
How can a forwarder format the nand ?
It doesn't write anything to nand, the only thing it does is reloading IOS and launching Title ID, right ?
Boot2 is also on the nand, if nand was formated I suppose boot2 would have been deleted too ? I don't know if boot2 is protected.

I don't know if it will help Cobleman to understand the problem.

We miss an information though :
Does the hypothetical "NAND formating" occurred before GX finished it's job, or after the forwarder was loaded correctly and GX unloaded?

If it's the later, the problem is the forwarder/cIOS combination, not GX loading the iso.
Like Dimok said, it's not the loader problem what happens after you booted your game.

If it's the former, we need more info (USBgecko logs ?) to see where it stopped working.

petspeed

Trophies
XP
Country
Denmark
I bricked my Wii using USB Loader GX r935 with cIOSX r19 with base 57 in slot 250. My harddrive is WBFS formatted. This happened without a game started. From the GX menu showing the list of all the games we turned off the Wii with the remote and turned it back on again with a different remote right after. But it never turned back on again. The light turned green and the DVD made the funny sound it always does but that was it. No signal to the TV and none of the remote would sync. The Wii is white and it is a pre LU64+ but still new enough so that I couldn't install Bootmii in boot2. Priiloader 0.4 was installed but that can't be loaded anymore so I can't save the Wii.

I have bought a new Wii and I am trying out Wiiflow because I don't feel safe with GX anymore. It's a damn shame because I love GX and would really like to see it further developed, but after reading the reaction from Dimok on the googlepage I have stopped using it. I am very disappointed that he won't even try to explain why he is so sure that GX can't brick a Wii. He just got mad right away. Don't get me wrong, I understand that putting so many hours into a free program and then people accuse it for destroying their Wii must be frustrating and can piss a guy off, but still I think he should have explained this in a nice tone and maybe the cause for these bricks could be found and the loader could still live on and be updated like it used to. I really hope this will happen one day, but I doubt it.

pedimaisum

Trophies
Website
blogs.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Brazil
Cyan said:
How can a forwarder format the nand ?
It doesn't write anything to nand, the only thing it does is reloading IOS and launching Title ID, right ?
Boot2 is also on the nand, if nand was formated I suppose boot2 would have been deleted too ? I don't know if boot2 is protected.

I don't know if it will help Cobleman to understand the problem.

We miss an information though :
Does the hypothetical "NAND formating" occurred before GX finished it's job, or after the forwarder was loaded correctly and GX unloaded?

If it's the later, the problem is the forwarder/cIOS combination, not GX loading the iso.
Like Dimok said, it's not the loader problem what happens after you booted your game.

If it's the former, we need more info (USBgecko logs ?) to see where it stopped working.

I dont say that "GX bricked my wii" or "GX formatted my Nand" os something like that... I say "I bricked my Wii, USING GX"... its different... This is my fault for make something without a little mental process before...

I say... If was another loader, like CFG (I dont use Wiiflow, just Neogamma and CFG), he dont give me a opportunity to brick my wii like that, causa he will show me a beatyfull message saying to me dont make this, and restart... I have some other "non-brick" problems, like freezes and something like that.... So... Its a great loader, but I don't feel me safe with...

And I dont know if this formated my nand or not, My knowedge is 0000 about this. I just say that in the bootmii showmii 3% Nand usage....so I THINK that formated my nand.... cause i have too much saves and too much forwarders...

BTW, Sorry by my english...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    OctoAori20 @ OctoAori20: Ello