What's the upload file limit size for attached ZIP files?

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Been trying to help out a guy over the DS Forum. I made a ZIP file with all the required things to make his flashcard work, but I keep getting a "This file is too big" error whenever I try to upload a 53MB ZIP file to his thread.

Which file size is the limit to upload?

VinsCool

Persona Secretiva Felineus
Global Moderator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
Canada
I am also curious about the limits, because I remember having uploaded pretty large .mp4 files in my status updates with no problem, but also bumped into a size limit in some other cases where I wanted to attach images, when I am pretty sure their sizes were usually smaller.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I am also curious about the limits, because I remember having uploaded pretty large .mp4 files in my status updates with no problem, but also bumped into a size limit in some other cases where I wanted to attach images, when I am pretty sure their sizes were usually smaller.
Yeah 25mb would be too low anyways. Many images nowadays can be above that.

Reactions: AncientBoi

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
Yeah 25mb would be too low anyways. Many images nowadays can be above that.
What the f…? What kind of image files? Uncompressed RAW data? 100 Megapixel?

A forum is not a digital archive for storing HUGE pictures (or other files). More than just storing the files is the repeated delivery. If a thread contains multiple images with several MB and gets opened a few hundred times, this does show in traffic. That can get expensive. Not even talking about videos here.
Different calculation than just: "What does a single 16TB HDD cost? No problem allowing big files!"

I am probably the only one thinking that hard about such, but I usually try to cut, resize and compress images way beyond 1MB and very short videos below 10MB if there is not a good reason for more. This helps for people with slow connection as well.

For big files external hosting makes sense.

Ryab

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
What the f…? What kind of image files? Uncompressed RAW data? 100 Megapixel?

A forum is not a digital archive for storing HUGE pictures (or other files). More than just storing the files is the repeated delivery. If a thread contains multiple images with several MB and gets opened a few hundred times, this does show in traffic. That can get expensive. Not even talking about videos here.
Different calculation than just: "What does a single 16TB HDD cost? No problem allowing big files!"

I am probably the only one thinking that hard about such, but I usually try to cut, resize and compress images way beyond 1MB and very short videos below 10MB if there is not a good reason for more. This helps for people with slow connection as well.

For big files external hosting makes sense.
I just know I've had quite a few instances where I've had pictures that I found on the internet be around 30mb.

Reactions: KleinesSinchen

KleinesSinchen

GBAtemp's Backup Reminder + Fearless Testing Sina
GBAtemp Patron
Trophies
XP
Country
Germany
I just know I've had quite a few instances where I've had pictures that I found on the internet be around 30mb.
No doubt. Such images exist.
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:LROC_WAC_full_lunar_nearside_mosaics
Look at the size of WAC nearside 24000.tif
Sometimes there are good reasons for such things (the moon picture is beautiful and worth downloading!!)

But they don't belong on a forum server. Some kind of limit makes sense.

↑↑↑Trivial to circumvent if it is slightly too large.↑↑↑​
Archive containers, possibly multiple parts, have the advantage that people have to actively click on them and not every visitor reading a thread causes big data traffic.

JuanMena

90's Kid, Old Skull Gamer & Artist
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Just set winzip, rar, or 7zip, to zip to split files, like to 24mb max size. Then upload all parts.:grog:
I didn't knew you could do that.
Dumb me just split all files in two parts, anf still one part was 53MB.

But now I know.
What's important is that his problem is solved, but still will have it in mind next time.

I alternatively thought to upload my ZIP in the "Resources" and then sharing the link, but that seemed a bit excessive.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Hayato213

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I didn't knew you could do that.
Dumb me just split all files in two parts, anf still one part was 53MB.

But now I know.
What's important is that his problem is solved, but still will have it in mind next time.

I alternatively thought to upload my ZIP in the "Resources" and then sharing the link, but that seemed a bit excessive.

You could upload the files to a file sharing site and just give them a link that also work.

Reactions: BigOnYa

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The Castlevania game was on the PS1 so that's cool +1