What's the best way to format text files for my CycloDS?

Discussion in 'NDS - Flashcarts and Accessories' started by Harbinger of Cak, Dec 21, 2010.

1. Harbinger of Cak

Newcomer Harbinger of Cak Newbie

Aug 26, 2009
    United States
    The reason this isn't in the Cyclo sub-forum is because the solution should apply to the text-reading function of all flashcarts. Primarily, I'm interested in the conversion of GameFAQs txt files.

First, I tried WrapIt, which I found here, but it kinda sucks. Words get cut off and returns are only added, not removed, resulting in something like this:

[space space space space space] Game: The Fina
    l Quest of the Blonklonks

[space space space space space] Written by Writ
    ely Writerton

First, go through the second door and take a righ
    Now go forward, etc, etc...

Irritating as hell to read with nearly every other line that way.

The functions needed just aren't there, such as:
    - Left-align, achieved by deleting of two or more consecutive spaces on a single line that starts with a space or a few border characters (EG: ||, +, etc)
    - Stripping single hard returns from paragraphs and replacing them where the new wrapping ends (EG: "righ?t.?Now, go..." becomes "right.?Now, go...")
    - Reducing three or more hard returns to only two, saving space and helping readability
    - Deleting remaining consecutive border characters (====) after the new wrapping instead of returning them to the next line
    - Deleting enough leaders (EG: Room 1 . . . . . ED0) so each section ID fits on a single line, or just deleting the leaders altogether

WrapIt does have a format exemption feature (sandwich text between tildes to exempt it) for preserving tables/charts and a max line length specifier, but its other oversights render it a poor choice overall.

This website gets about the closest to what I want simply by having two features: deletion of extra spaces and max line length specifier WITHOUT cutting off words, as WrapIt so annoyingly does.

I also tried TextFormatterPlus, which couldn't do what I wanted at all. I'm currently checking out LiquidNinja's metapad, but I'm doubting it can do what I'm looking for.

Anyway, I figured maybe some of you guys stumbled upon a way to automate text reformatting, be it crude or no. What might you suggest?