Hacking What's the best Micro SD Card for R4?

Blightfire

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Senegal
Hi, I'm considering to get a R4DS to replace my SCDS1... Just would like to know if there are options to set the speed at which the sd card runs at or does the firmware take care of that automactically... because with my SCDS1 if the speed setting is wrong I can get crashes all over the place. I'm also using a 1gb japanese kingston

No, there's no messing around with speed settings on R4. It's all handled automatically by the R4. With your Kingston (Japan) TF you will be able to play every rom
smile.gif
Yea I hope so, but that does not seem to be the case with it on my supercard... I'm wondering if switching to R4 will help

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
there might be a micro sd card that preforms the same as the kingston you mentioned in the second post thats basically what everyone is asking no need to get your vagina all in a knot

The definitive answer would be:

Kingston-JAP (i.e. made in Japan, model number: SD-C01G) is the most compatible card for R4/M3 if you want to play Castlevania:POR. If you dont play it, any other card will work fine with the other 800+ games on the list. Sandisk Ultra2's also work ultra flawlessly with POR, but the price is ultra absurd (double the price of kingston). The sandisk Ultra2 however is almost a requirement for comparitable compatability with supercard DSone, and that's why the R4 is better value (supercard also costs RRP $5 more).

Toshiba/PNY also OEM from the same factories that make the kingston silicons, but there's no guarantee that these cards are exactly the same as the kingston ones.

There's a chance that the taiwanese cards made by all companies work flawlessly with POR, but like I said, it's only a chance.

I'm not getting my er "vagina in a knot"... I just found it stupid that people don't read the thread and still reply with about ten answers, either out of retardedness or pure spite?! I don't know. And for the people who are going to say "well it backs up the answer if many people say it", there's about 15 other threads and the same answers here. (yes, i'm PMS'ing)
hate2.gif

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Is that game really that good or are you guys just poking at it becuase you feel the need to run EVERY game at 100%???
I figure they're all just poking at it.
tongue.gif
It's become the "trademark game" for testing on flash carts now. ie. "Castlevania POR freezes and gets slow downs. It's not 100%." Reason being, I guess, it's the one game that gets the most controversy with being able to run without any problems.

BoneMonkey

The cheese stash is a lie.
Banned
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
what i want to do is make a list of micro sd's and there speed and make a chart saying if it works on COVPOR but i dont know where to look for speed on mico sd carts

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I am using Kingston 1 GB (Made in Japan), first batch R4 on both kernel 1.05 and 1.06beta. I have been playing Castlevania PoR for about one week. It locked up 4-5 times so far.

I believe it is more correct to say using a more reputative card significantly decreases the problems that you could encounter with certain games on R4. Unfortunately, it is not flawless as many claimed in my case.

EDIT: Added kernel version.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
I think it's fair to say that it's more likely that it'll work most of the time, than a card with lower timings ("more likely" being the key phrase). Or you got a batch that was at the lower end of the scale, which is kinda unlucky... but if you're desperate for the game, close your greedy eyes and just buy it! mwaha, my 2cents =]

its-my-right

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
France
Well...I have two sandisk micro Sd 1Go, not the "ultra II" and Portait Of Ruins works perfectly, on both of my cards (but I do not succedded to beat the first boss, the knight and his head, so maybe slowdowns and crashec appears only after this passage ?)

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
An idea just came to my mind. Do you guys feel it is feasible to have a bunch of .SAV files for Castlevania PoR, and use these files as some kinds of benchmark to measure the "fitness" between your R4 and memory cards?

So far, almost all the lock ups I have seen are related to activation of portals. (Maybe one lockup is related to something else, but I could not remember where it occurred.) To get around this problem, I usually save before I use portals (if possible).

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Yeah, but even if you do find out if your card works or not... what are you going to do? Buy a new one? Refund it because you can't get 1 game to work? Remember what you are using the card for... >=)

The compatability is very card specific, it's very easy to say so and so works... but like you've already found out, if it's at the lower end of the quality check, then there's still a chance it won't work. It's better to say "blah blah blah" is more likely to work.

All this fuss for one game, that you most probably don't own. Hmmph.

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
The benchmark could help verify the problems are memory timing specific. Maybe the results could help R4 team to improve their future kernel development or help people to develop patch for certain ROMs. Also, in the (unfortunate) case that this becomes a recurring problem in future ROMs, it could help extend the expected useful life of our R4 and save up some money for consumers as well.

iamwhoiam

Honorary R4 Fanboy
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
It's most likely that the dumped ROM released is a bit glitchy and it's reknowned to be very picky (even on other flashcarts). Who knows in the future, but by that time... better cards would have come out =]

Unless you had a programme to verify memory timings, and no i'm not talking about HDtach, i mean straight dumped from card to an IC programmed to read it (i.e. quality control checks in manufacturing plants).

I just don't get why everyone is fussing about a single game. There are 800 others on the list. If POR works on your card, fine... if it doesn't, deal with it... if you're pissed off that it doesnt work on your card, then buy the game and stop blaming the "unofficial hardware". I know this is only my little opinion, but I think it's quite common sense. This post probably doesnt make sense anymore cos i'm over-rambling!

Maybe people don't realise that all MicroSD problems boil down to this single game. Sure sure, it might affect others games in the future... but it's still only a might

hate2.gif
hate2.gif
hate2.gif
!

eltia

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Maybe people are concerned that the problem we see in Castlevania PoR can repeat in future ROMs?

Of course, technology would get better (and hopefully cheaper) in the future. By that time, there maybe NDS II and a whole new family of flashcarts. So why not take what we have now and get the best out of it?

rezen

Trophies
XP
Country
PoR crashes on my Sandisk UltraII 1GB...

I still think it's the ROM and will be revised for the Euro release. Wasn't there crashing on the retail card (which I haven't come across yet)??

D

Deleted User

PoR crashes on my Sandisk UltraII 1GB...

I still think it's the ROM and will be revised for the Euro release. Wasn't there crashing on the retail card (which I haven't come across yet)??

Hmm, I've ordered this card with my R4. I've heard reports that PoR works with it. Can anyone who has this card confirm it?

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's most likely that the dumped ROM released is a bit glitchy and it's reknowned to be very picky (even on other flashcarts). Who knows in the future, but by that time... better cards would have come out =]

Unless you had a programme to verify memory timings, and no i'm not talking about HDtach, i mean straight dumped from card to an IC programmed to read it (i.e. quality control checks in manufacturing plants).

I just don't get why everyone is fussing about a single game. There are 800 others on the list. If POR works on your card, fine... if it doesn't, deal with it... if you're pissed off that it doesnt work on your card, then buy the game and stop blaming the "unofficial hardware". I know this is only my little opinion, but I think it's quite common sense. This post probably doesnt make sense anymore cos i'm over-rambling!

Maybe people don't realise that all MicroSD problems boil down to this single game. Sure sure, it might affect others games in the future... but it's still only a might

hate2.gif
Â
hate2.gif
Â
hate2.gif
!
/agree

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :wacko: rolling?
    +1
  • AncientBoi @ AncientBoi:
    make up his mind dude
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Go gay there I made up his mind
    :rofl2::tpi::rofl2: I meant his eyes :tpi::rofl2::tpi:
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    :toot:blow me then @K3Nv2
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Nah I'm straight but you're more than welcome to blow ancientboi
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    LOL, which straight person does not make gay jokes?
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    I'm straight but we can whack dicks together
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    nah, I'm gud over here, no need for sword fights

:glare:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Dick slang
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    See ancientboi already has a crush on you
    [brings my ⚔️ ] On Guard :D:evil::wub:
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Looks more like a dagger to me
    Pffffft I have a crush on everybody
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    I see no problem, unless i happen to grow another gender one day. Too bad it ain't now
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Thought you already had both hotswappable gender fluid
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    Enjoy whatever life chucks your way

:teach:
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Deeze nuts
    Dem Nutz
  • ZeroT21 @ ZeroT21:
    'Em nutters
    M&M nutz
    +1
  • K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2:
    Slim anus nutter
    :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway
    +1
    AncientBoi @ AncientBoi: :unsure::unsure::unsure: I might go buy them M&M w/nuts. I gotta go out to pay the rent anyway +1