What are the best types of SD cards for Wii?

NalgaLover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Recently I bought a microSDHC UHS-I card with 32gb from the brand SanDisk, Would this card work with my wii and to storage Game Cube Iso? I haven't open the package and I still have the receipt so I'm waiting for an answer. If it dosen't work then what type of SD card works best for the Wii?

WalterSlovotsky

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Can't get much better than SanDisk. I use nothing else.

I have found that the read speeds are a bit higher with an SD card as opposed to USB, and my Wii has all of my retro consoles and essentials installed to the SD card, with the rest of my collection on an external HDD.

The difference is negligible, honestly. Most wouldn't even notice it.

Reactions: NalgaLover

NalgaLover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Can't get much better than SanDisk. I use nothing else.

I have found that the read speeds are a bit higher with an SD card as opposed to USB, and my Wii has all of my retro consoles and essentials installed to the SD card, with the rest of my collection on an external HDD.

The difference is negligible, honestly. Most wouldn't even notice it.
And the UHS-I format can be read by a Wii with no problem?

AkikoKumagara

The Coolest Bear Around
Trophies
Website
thebearsden.web.fc2.com
XP
Country
United States
And the UHS-I format can be read by a Wii with no problem?
UHS-I is fine, make sure the SD card is formatted to FAT32 or NTFS. It might come with exFAT out of the box. FAT32 will likely have the broadest compatibility with homebrew apps but you'll be limited to 4GB filesize per file.

Reactions: NalgaLover

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Speeds & compatibility are usually not an issue.
You may need to read a little to learn how to eg. unlock some potentials with "diskpart".

Why not go for hdxc ? Micros are more handy. Just use the adapter supplied. I used 512gb sdxc Samsung evo+ without problems. Sandisk are a good brand.
If you ever get into trouble, you can always use it on your phone (or other devices) ;)

NalgaLover

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Mexico
Speeds & compatibility are usually not an issue.
You may need to read a little to learn how to eg. unlock some potentials with "diskpart".

Why not go for hdxc ? Micros are more handy. Just use the adapter supplied. I used 512gb sdxc Samsung evo+ without problems. Sandisk are a good brand.
If you ever get into trouble, you can always use it on your phone (or other devices) ;)
Thank you! It is a micro actually. Btw can I format an sd card with a phone?

morning_glory

Trophies
XP
Country
Australia
Fat32 GUI Formatter or HPUSBDisk (run them as administrator).
I doubt your phone formatter can match the requirements needed. I don't recommend sharing the same sdhc on your phone & Wii stuff.
As I already stated, you may need to used Windows Diskpart to remove sdhc/sdxc formatting limitations.

Dedicate your sdhc to the Wii, test & see how it keeps you happy, & then you can try the same with a larger capacity sdxc. You can store heaps of games/apps without having update your playing preferences.

Ryccardo

Penguin accelerator
Trophies
XP
Country
Italy

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    K3Nv2 @ K3Nv2: Lol rappers still promoting crypto