Hacking Whats the advantage of updating the sysnand if its only used for launching emunand w/ latest fw?

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I've set up a few 3ds's with rxtools and emunand updated to the latest firmware the last few days. They all work great, can play the latest games flawlessly. I've just been leaving the system nand untouched on whatever firmware it already had (4.5,5.1,ect) since its only used for launching the ds profile exploit.

am I missing something? I always see people mention "well 9.2 sysnand is still fully exploitable so should update to that". whats the benefit of the sysnand being on 9.2 over 4.5 when its not used for anything other than launching emunand?

3dshaxnoobX

OP
Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, well figures its 2 things I dont care about. Looking at videos of themehax it looks like it takes about the same amount of time for it to launch emunand as it does going to settings>ds profile would.

Also I like being able to easily switch themes, read that you have to manually inject custom themes and it a hassle to change themes with themehax? So yea, I'll be sticking with the ds profile method and no reason to update the sysnand.

Last edited by 3dshaxnoobX,

wormdood

pirate booty inspector
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
oh, well figures its 2 things I dont care about. Looking at videos of themehax it looks like it takes about the same amount of time for it to launch emunand as it does going to settings>ds profile would.

Also I like being able to easily switch themes, read that you have to manually inject custom themes and it a hassle to change themes with themehax? So yea, I'll be sticking with the ds profile method and no reason to update the sysnand.
1. yep the only time it saves is the time it takes to load up your 3ds launch system settings and then select the your ds profile so yeah i wont load faster but it will cut down wait time
2. you can still use themes in emunand just not systemnand that you would bypass with the themehax(autoboot) and load up emunand where themes are still ok

Last edited by wormdood,

The Real Jdbye

*is birb*
Trophies
XP
Country
Norway

Themes don't matter in sysNAND if you autoboot into emuNAND every time. Your sysNAND then becomes secondary and emuNAND is where you will do everything, which actually works out rather well, since you can keep emuNAND up to date and at the same time keep sysNAND safe from accidental updates.

djalmafreestyler

Trophies
XP
Country
Brazil

I read somewhere that you can edit the time to boot fastest in boot.cfg, like change to 0, I don't know if it works:

// Boot menu configuration

boot_config =

{

// Default timeout in secondes

timeout = 3;

// Default boot entry

default = 0;

// Boot menu entries (16 max)

entries =

(

{

title = "rxTools";

path = "/rxTools/sys/code.bin";

},

{

title = "Homebrew Menu";

path = "/boot_hb.3dsx";

}

);

};

-Xin-

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Morocco
thats an old cfg conf look there is a new update here :
https://gbatemp.net/threads/ctrbootmanager-3ds-boot-manager-loader-homemenuhax.398383/
if you have a new 3ds use this :

// Boot menu configuration
boot_config =
{
// Default timeout in secondes
// If timeout = -1, disable autoboot
timeout = 3;
// Some devices (n3ds?) seems to have
// some timing problems when using timeout=0 (autoboot).
// You may increase this value to improve boot success rate.
// Default delay (150) should be good for o3ds.
autobootfix = 80;
// if timeout = 0 (autoboot),
// hold this key to enter the menu
// keycode list : https://goo.gl/4XLDIL
recovery = 2; // SELECT
// Default boot entry
default = 0;
// Boot menu entries (11 max)
entries =
(
{
title = "rxTools";
path = "/rxTools/sys/code.bin";
offset = "0x12000";
},

{
title = "Homebrew Menu";
path = "/boot_hb.3dsx";
}
);
};

Last edited by -Xin-,

duwen

Old Man Toad
Trophies
Website
www.exophase.com
XP
Country
United Kingdom
I felt the same; I kept my sysnand on 4.5... until themehax, and I upgraded to 9.2.
It really is quicker and more convenient to use themehax, plus I've got my boot.cfg set (with a 1 second timeout) that gives me the option to boot into Pasta, Cakes, Homebrew launcher (both vanilla and Mashers Grid version) on top of auto booting into rxtools.
And I can run my DS carts (Acekard included) on sysnand and not have to bother with reinstalling the ds profile exploit every time.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Are you using AK2i? On n3ds?

I felt the same; I kept my sysnand on 4.5... until themehax, and I upgraded to 9.2.
It really is quicker and more convenient to use themehax, plus I've got my boot.cfg set (with a 1 second timeout) that gives me the option to boot into Pasta, Cakes, Homebrew launcher (both vanilla and Mashers Grid version) on top of auto booting into rxtools.
And I can run my DS carts (Acekard included) on sysnand and not have to bother with reinstalling the ds profile exploit every time.

Classicgamer

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Right! I've been reading around that ppl are downgrading n3ds twl_frm on n3ds w/ o3ds somehow. I really want to use my AK2i on n3ds ☺️

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    SylverReZ @ SylverReZ: @The Real Jdbye, I know what it is. :creep: