What's more important in tech for you? Coolness or fixability?

What's more important in tech for you?

• Coolness

Votes: 1 6.7%
  • fixability

Votes: 14 93.3%

• Total voters

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
We getting to the point where we going to have phones which has no ports. which could mean no water damage.

but this seems to be a trend in tech where companies are making tech look cool but fixing it might become impossible by hand.

I can see the argument from both sides. what's your take on this subject?

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Hopefully Apple will remove their port so companies will be forced to actually innovate and start mass producing decent powerbanks with wireless charging. If we don't count the occasional power bank charge when I'm on a trip, I don't think I've ever used the port of my phone.

We're getting closer and closer to get a foldable rectangle without weird bumps or bezels and I can't wait.

Reactions: Flame

shaunj66

GBAtemp Administrator
Administrator
Trophies
Website
www.gbatemp.net
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Practicality, really. Tech should be practical first and foremost with fixability and coolness coming after in that order.

The removal of the port is just an avenue to fleece money from and take control away from end users and to sell another service. If the port is removed how will end users easily flash firmware/images, debug etc? Answer is they won't.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Hopefully Apple will remove their port so companies will be forced to actually innovate and start mass producing decent powerbanks with wireless charging. If we don't count the occasional power bank charge when I'm on a trip, I don't think I've ever used the port of my phone.

We're getting closer and closer to get a foldable rectangle without weird bumps or bezels and I can't wait.

so what happens you drop that new iPhone with no ports and break the screen just after your warranty finished?

with best option is a send in for $399

Practicality, really. Tech should be practical first and foremost with fixability and coolness coming after in that order.

The removal of the port is just an avenue to fleece money from and take control away from end users and to sell another service. If the port is removed how will end users easily flash firmware/images, debug etc? Answer is they won't.

with an iPhone you are not able to flash firmware/images as its a closed garden. wouldn't they just say get a android phone for that.

Last edited by Flame,

City

Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
so what happens you drop that new iPhone with no ports and break the screen just after your warranty finished?

with best option is a send in for $399
I have a theft insurance that also covers accidental damage. About $100 a year. Other than the screen protector, I've never broken anything.

Flame

Me > You
OP
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
I have a theft insurance that also covers accidental damage. About $100 a year. Other than the screen protector, I've never broken anything.

I mean I just don't mean this for apple products. this could be other companies too.

wouldn't Nintendo love a product where you play are able to play 8K screen with 200fps looks like its from the year 3000 but its impossible to fix. with it being impossible to fix this mean no modchip or way of reverse engineering it.

Learning how to fix my broken stuff, so fixability is important to me.

so wouldn't you want want a handheld which is 8K screen with 200fps?

Reactions: City

DinohScene

Gay twink catboy
Global Moderator
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
Reliability is something that should come first at all times.
It's disgusting how easily expensive electronics break, some are even designed to break n what not.

Reliability > practicality > repairability > insert whatever you want > coolness.

Reactions: SAIYAN48 and Flame

CoolMe

"Who am i, what am i?"
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
There's no repairability for modern smart phones, Apple products or not, once it bits the dust you just throw it away, that's how they're designed. Hell, they even made it difficult to replace the damn battery, 6~7 years prior, you just open the back cover and swap in the old one with the new and that's it. Now it's considerably more difficult, and that's if it can be done at all..

DBlaze

I don't know what i'm doing.
Trophies
XP
Country
Netherlands
The most important aspect of any tech is every square nm needs to be filled to the brim with RGB

on a more serious note, repairability should be a higher priority for many big companies, but they won't because it won't bring in big money.

The Catboy

GBAtemp Official Catboy™: Boywife
Trophies
XP
Country
Antarctica
As someone who prides themself on their ability to repair and maintain their own electronics, I would say that’s more important to me. If I can’t repair something, then I either buy it with the expectation that I will learn or sell it in the future.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: @salazarcosplay yeah cod's still up