Hacking Whats keeping you?

Why havent you bought a slot 1 card?

• No money :(

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I already have a slot 2 card, and does everything I need.

• I already bought one! / its in the mail!

• Other (please specify)

• Total voters

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
With all the slot 1 cards coming out, I have a feeling that many people are buying them just so they can say that they have the newest technology
unsure.gif

To be perfectly honest, I dont need a slot 1 solution because my slot 2 card already does everything that I want/need it to. I know alot of people will say "i want download play!" My response to you is: if your so willing to buy a whole new kit to play download play, then you need to go out there and buy the real game
biggrin.gif
I think that the only reason that so many companies are making these slot 1 devices is because people will buy them, because they're new. (that and because companies probably believe that they wont survive if they stay with "old" technology versus matching technology of other rival companies.)

Comments please
biggrin.gif

EDIT: could someone add "no GBA compatibility" to the poll answers please?
biggrin.gif

SpartanShu

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
It's not the slot one devices. With the new cards, I think they're finally where we want them to be in terms of functionality. Rather, I have a sneaking suspicion that Nintendo will drop a new version of a ds on the world within the next 4-6 months and I'd rather wait. They've done it before and they'll do it again....

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
It's not the slot one devices. With the new cards, I think they're finally where we want them to be in terms of functionality. Rather, I have a sneaking suspicion that Nintendo will drop a new version of a ds on the world within the next 4-6 months and I'd rather wait. They've done it before and they'll do it again....

True, but So far, every single hand held made by Nintendo (minus Vboy) has been backwards compatible. So id find it odd that Nintendo Would make a new hand held that doesn't fit DS Cartridges. BTW, they are making a new ds (right?) with slightly bigger screens. (correct me if im wrong) but I doubt that they would make a special cartridge for it

OG LOCC NESS

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Well I have an M3 Perfect SD that plays almost every ROM perfectly, and plays most GBA roms as well... If Slot 1 cards were able to play GBA roms I would gladly buy it (depending on the price).

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Everytime Nintendo makes a new revision of a new console, there's ALWAYS one crippling factor with it.

GBC. It was good. Then came:

GBA. It had NO backlight and the GB carts stuck out like sore thumbs. Then came:

GBASP. Smexy design. Backlight. Again, GB carts stuck out like sore thumbs and lack of headphones. Then came:

Nintendo DS. Well, technically, it has nothing to do with the Gameboy but I suppose the real crippling factor was the fact that.... lack of GB support? (Doesn't bother me. Don't play much GB games anyways). And lastly came:

DS lite. Very nice design.... but the fact the GBA games sticks out a little kinda puts me off. But I suppose in 3 years time or less, no-one will be playing much GBA games anyways.

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Everytime Nintendo makes a new revision of a new console, there's ALWAYS one crippling factor with it.

GBA. It had NO backlight and the GB carts stuck out like sore thumbs. Then came:

GBASP. Smexy design. Backlight. Again, GB carts stuck out like sore thumbs and lack of headphones. Then came:

Nintendo DS. Well, technically, it has nothing to do with the Gameboy but I suppose the real crippling factor was the fact that.... lack of GB support? (Doesn't bother me. Don't play much GB games anyways). And lastly came:

DS lite. Very nice design.... but the fact the GBA games sticks out a little kinda puts me off. But I suppose in 3 years time or less, no-one will be playing much GBA games anyways.

But to keep it from sticking out, they'd have to make the whole system bigger. I think Nintendo Was thinking "theyre probably gonna play DS more than GBA, but lets give them GBA just in case" I suppose their priority was DS games, with GBA a added bonus
biggrin.gif

Harsky

Madmin
Trophies
XP
Country
United Kingdom
Oh yeah, and in regard to the original question... I don't know. I still have no idea why I'm still holding onto my slot 2 flash cart. The price is cheap even when you include the micro SD. It's small and doesn't require installing a program to write the rom to it... maybe it's because I'm still attached to the GBA support? Damn, what a terrible excuse.

OrR

Rice-megatron Expert
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
My Supercard CF still does everything so I don't really need a slot 1 solution. With the cheap price of the R4 I might still get it, though, for the browser, rumble games, being able to use it on another DS that's not flashed... Only problem is I'd also have to get a microSD card which would make things quite expensive again. I'd also probably still use my Supercard most because of better Homebrew compatibility, the Motion card, DSerial or one of my many original games sitting in slot 1, ...

Psyfira

Credit: 0ml. Insert tea to continue
Trophies
XP
Country
Other. Even if I could afford it I still wouldn't. The technology's too new, I'd want to see how it pans out, which carts are better than others, which ones will crash and burn, that kinda thing. It's impossible to tell from first impressions, almost foolhardy to jump straight onto a new product without seeing the alternatives. Also a lot of the homebrew apps I'm interested in running need GBA RAM to run. If I was buying a cart right now I'd go for slot 2 because of that, but seeing as I'm not it'll be interesting to wait and see if these developers adapt to slot 1 solutions.

(Incidentally if I already had a slot-2 card that supported DS well then I wouldn't even bother considering it. It's pointless spending money upgrading something that works perfectly fine and offers no significant extra functionality)

spokenrope

c7
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
I bought my r4 last week as my first venture into the world of DS flash carts. When I first started paying attention to the NDS hombrew scene, slot 2 cards were just about to be small enough to fit into a DS Lite without anything sticking out, so I waited a little bit.

A little bit of time passed, and the next time I was looking to buy this sort of thing, the DS-X was on the horizon, so I waited a little bit more.

I figure that the r4 is about as good as it's going to get for me for now. I can play GBA games other ways if need be, and I'm tired of waiting.

Veho

The man who cried "Ni".
Former Staff
Trophies
XP
Country
Croatia
Well, I find buying any kind of new flashcard if you already have a working one pretty pointless. I couldn't see why people wanted a card that sits flush with the DS/DSLite in the first place. Now, everyone wants a Slot1 card. I can't see why (for now). Once more games start using Slot2 add-ons, like extra RAM, motion sensor, rumble pack, etc., only then will replacing your Slot2 card be feasible. Not to mention much much cheaper.

As a first flashcard, a Slot1 solution is great, providing you don't care much about GBA support. But I wouldn't replace my Slot2 flashcard yet.

azndragonguy115

Trophies
Website
hai-san.tumblr.com
XP
Country
United States
1. NO MONEY. i need a job for reals. I have no idea where i got money before
2. waiting game..kinda. Im kinda set on buying a m3s

i want a slot-1 is because of CLEAN ROMs. partially because of donwloplay but mostly that i dont have to repatch ewhen the kajkillianed firmware comes otu

Katalyst

Johnald Everyperson
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
Already bought one (R4). First card I've ever bought for DS and loving it.

Where's Game Boy Micro?
biggrin.gif

Kurai

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Ive been watching the DS emulaiton scene for a while, and i didn't want to buy a Slot-2 device, because to be honest its chunky and makes the DS look fugly. So i waited for just when a Slot-1 would come. And now it has, i brought one lol

nintendofreak

Around. Shoot me a PM.
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Ive been watching the DS emulaiton scene for a while, and i didn't want to buy a Slot-2 device, because to be honest its chunky and makes the DS look fugly. So i waited for just when a Slot-1 would come. And now it has, i brought one lol

You know, theres the SC lite for example that doesnt stick out of the system..
unsure.gif

DMP

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
Gambia, The
[X] got one in the mail

I've only recently decided to purchase a Nintendo DS-L (hooray for x-mas money
laugh.gif
) and I've stumbled over the emulation/homebrew scene a few days ago.
Since I'm more interested in NDS emulation than homebrew and GBA I decided to purchase a slot1 device (M3 Simply) since it seems less complicated to me and I can always add a slot2 without having to buy a passkey.

Maybe I'll add a slot2 device when they've become cheaper due to the growing popularity of slot1 devices.
Time will tell.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Xdqwerty @ Xdqwerty: i guess