Gaming Whats a good RPG to start with?

Omb123

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
Suikoden Tierkreis (a bit much for beginners)

Suikoden on the DS is the easiest most simplified RPG i've ever touched. You get to upgrade your character once every 2 hours of text with a choice of 3 items. Talk about epic. Kill everything in 1 hit, bosses in 3 hits. Press A for hours, rince and repeat. B-O-R-I-N-G.

Radiopools

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Omb123 said:
Leamonde.Halcyon said:
Suikoden Tierkreis (a bit much for beginners)

Suikoden on the DS is the easiest most simplified RPG i've ever touched. You get to upgrade your character once every 2 hours of text with a choice of 3 items. Talk about epic. Kill everything in 1 hit, bosses in 3 hits. Press A for hours, rince and repeat. B-O-R-I-N-G.

Ugh really? I'm glad I read that, I was planning on picking it up
lecture.gif

Radiopools

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
terminator99 said:
Or better still get your old playstation 1 and play final fantasy 7. There is a shit load of secrets to find. but i have the official guide which helps loads.

THIS, DEF. FFVII Is the first "real" rpg I played, and the game that got me hooked onto the genre for life. Such a classic game!

ZeroEXE93

Trophies
Website
ep.ipbfree.com
XP
Country
United States
Action RPGs are good games to start with because of their simplicity. The easiest (decent) ARPG that I can think of is probably Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles (both of them). Other excellent but more complex ones are The World Ends With You and Phantasy Star Zero. If you're looking for a good simple turn-based RPG, try Pokemon Platinum. Also, most RPGs made by Square Enix tend to be very good, although more complicated.

Zane

Ace Wizard
Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
x.domination said:
Suikoden Tierkreis and Avalon Code.

FF remakes and DQ remakes are good too. Then there's Pokemon.

And I personally think Legacy of Ys was quie fun.

I wouldn't recommend Avalon Code to a RPG beginner, that game is annoying as hell with all them codes. =(

PlooBloo

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Hmm, I'd say Final Fantasy IV. One of my favorites in the series and they did a pretty good job with the DS remake, but a word of warning, they made the game tougher in this remake compared to the GBA and SNES versions.

Also, can't forget Chrono Trigger!

unknownworlder

Trophies
Website
Visit site
XP
Country
United States
NO. DO NOT PLAY CHRONO TRIGGER ON THE DS. The DS version sucked cause they changed the dialog and the music on the ds sucks compared to the snes, and they changed the ending.

If you're gonna play chrono trigger, play it on an snes emu.

And on the DS, I suggest avalon code. :3

KLoNe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chrono Trigger DS is the only answer - it doesn't have any boring parts; nothing drawn out just to extend the length, no random enemies - just a terrific RPG
smile.gif

KLoNe

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Chrono Trigger DS is the only answer - it doesn't have any boring parts; nothing drawn out just to extend the length, no random enemies - just a terrific RPG
smile.gif

Zav

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
play FF7 and FFX on your old PS2 first those are the two easiest RPGs tto start with and they both walk you in to the RPG setting

if you inisist on DS then i have to say TWEWY on EASY setting and dont play top screen otherwise its complicated

NightWalker186

Newcomer
Trophies
Website
www.myspace.com
XP
Country
United States
The true RPG games that truly got me hooked for life were the Lufia games and FFIII for the Super nintendo. Not to mention ALL the dragon quest/warrior games. Both the NES and SNES makes. Honestly Chrono Trigger is a good game, a bit long and out there for a beginner.

I'd def. say to play the Dragon Quest games, Very nice turn base game. True RPG Style.

How ever for an Action RPGs(Kind of like Zelda:Link to the past, or Secret of Mana) Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: Rings of Fate, and Children of Mana(fairly easy but repetitive
smile.gif

Haven't touched the FFIII game for the DS yet but i'm sure its not the same as the SNES and i'm sure the people here who's played it will know. plz post back with the Differences between the too if you could
happy.gif

dketch

Trophies
XP
Country
United States
NightWalker186 said:
Haven't touched the FFIII game for the DS yet but i'm sure its not the same as the SNES and i'm sure the people here who's played it will know. plz post back with the Differences between the too if you could
happy.gif
Final Fantasy III on the DS is not the same as the one released on the SNES. The one released on the US SNES as Final Fantasy III is actually Final Fantasy VI, the original Final Fantasy III was never ported outside of Japan until it was released and remade for the DS.

To first poster:

This was also my first RPG so I definitely recommend getting it either on SNES (as Final Fantasy III) or on GBA (as Final Fantasy VI) either that one or Final Fantasy VII (on PS One and PC) are good places to start.

RPG in all it's flavors has since been my favorite genre, hope you like it as well.

Domination

Trophies
Website
www.facebook.com
XP
Country
Senegal
Zane said:
x.domination said:
Suikoden Tierkreis and Avalon Code.

FF remakes and DQ remakes are good too. Then there's Pokemon.

And I personally think Legacy of Ys was quie fun.

I wouldn't recommend Avalon Code to a RPG beginner, that game is annoying as hell with all them codes. =(

I think that the codes the reason why its fun. Great idea and fun to scramble only the lack of holding slots is annoying. But you could spam illness codes to make the better easier if you are a beginner.
So I think Avalon Code is still the best.

Synsane

Newcomer
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
Can I hijack here?
Out of those RPG's.. which one's are real-time like Soma Bringer, or Ragnarok Online DS, or Iron Feather...

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    Psionic Roshambo @ Psionic Roshambo: The bird is the word! +1