Hacking What would you like to see in Gateway's new update?

evandixon

PMD Researcher
Developer
Trophies
Website
projectpokemon.org
XP
Country
United States
UUhh... Don't forget the card is used for DRM purposes. If Gateway were to implement such a system, I'm sure they'd still require you to have the card inserted to even boot into their firmware, so the idea of "one-time install, then giving it away" sounds retarded to say the least - they're not stupid.

IMO the advantage of having a Gateway card-less way of loading a .3DS is that your battery wont be raped so quickly, as the DRM card has its own in-built CPU which apparently canes at your battery a bit. So really speaking the card would only be used to gain initial access to the CFW, then the user could remove it to save battery. Giving the card away would make absolutely no sense as you wouldn't be able to re-boot into Gateways firmware without it.

If anything, people would RE Gateways firmware to get .3DS support in open-source CFW.
The red card at least partially acts like a real cartridge, so I highly doubt we'll ever see .3DS loading without a flashcart.

Also I don't think the battery drain is anywhere near significant enough to matter. IIRC someone said there was a 5% difference, which is like 10-15 minutes. That's only significant if you're in the habit of draining the battery almost completely.

Reactions: WhoAmI?

WhoAmI?

PASTA's dirty animal
Trophies
Website
lavanoid.github.io
XP
Country
The red card at least partially acts like a real cartridge, so I highly doubt we'll ever see .3DS loading without a flashcart.

Also I don't think the battery drain is anywhere near significant enough to matter. IIRC someone said there was a 5% difference, which is like 10-15 minutes. That's only significant if you're in the habit of draining the battery almost completely.

I agree with not seeing .3DS loading without a card. As for battery drain, from what I've read (A LONG TIME AGO) some people have experienced noticeable battery drain but I personally cannot comment on that as I do not own a Gateway, I'm merely stating what others have written.

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
How about a 'system pop-up' notice on your Nintendo 3DS, informing you their is really truly madly deeply an update out for your GateWait device, so you don't have to keep checking on your PC and refreshing their website, and instead just enjoy playing games on your N3DS until you get the nice big 'pop-up' message from them!

CreAtor135

GBATemp's #1 Nothing
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
How about a 'system pop-up' notice on your Nintendo 3DS, informing you their is really truly madly deeply an update out for your GateWait device, so you don't have to keep checking on your PC and refreshing their website, and instead just enjoy playing games on your N3DS until you get the nice big 'pop-up' message from them!

Taking this a step further, how about updating GW straight from the 3DS itself?

garyopa

Admin @ MaxConsole
Trophies
Website
www.O-P-A.biz
XP
Country
Canada
Taking this a step further, how about updating GW straight from the 3DS itself?

That been thought of in the past, but ruled out because of greater risk of bricks or failed updates. And also for Nintendo spying on update traffic and source of files, its bad enough with all the dmca takedown notices I throw in the trash each week for the scmods hosting of files.

Reactions: WhoAmI?

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • BakerMan
    I rather enjoy a life of taking it easy. I haven't reached that life yet though.
  • BigOnYa
  • Xdqwerty
    what are you looking at?
    BakerMan @ BakerMan: i'm gonna start saying uninvoluntary to piss my dad off lmfao