Gaming What would make Dragon Quest X perfect!

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
We all know that a new Dragon Quest is in development for the Wii. Actually that's all that we know. But what would make that game perfect?

Cartoon-ish cell shaded Graphics
Remember Dragon Quest VIII for PS2? It had some impressive cell shaded graphics. That would be a "must" for Dragon Quest X. Actually the Wii could do pretty more impressive graphics.

Use of a DVD9
Wouldn't it be awesome if the game would be in a Dual Layered disc? That's double the size of a normal DVD. That's more content than ever.

Fully Customizable Characters
In Dragon Quest IX for DS, every equipable item (Swords, armour, shields) can be seen on your character. Unlike the previous Dragon Quest installments, every equipable item changes the appearance of your character and party. That would also be awesome on the Wii and future DQ titles

DS Connectivity
DS connectivity would be prefect for owners of DQ IX. Imagine transfering your characters from the DS to Wii, or even sharing items, money and much more.

Classic Controller Support
Dagon Quest is ment to be played with buttons and not Motion Controls. Keeping it classic would be ideal.

Great Storyline
For me DQ IX was quite blunt on storytelling. It was quite more "immature". So a Storyline like DQ VIII is more acceptable.

Soundtrack
This is surely one thing that surely will let us satisfied. Every DQ game had a wonderful soundtrack.

Full Length Game (100+ Hours of Gameplay)
Collecting every item, reaching Lvl 100 and completing the story is something that makes gamers play DQ.

Nintendo WFC Support
Imagine playing Dragon Quest online. It is mostly sure that won't happen but it would be awesome! Other features such as DLC, Downloadable Quests or internet stores (like DQ IX) would be satisfying.

That's all for now. I really hope that Square Enix will put a lot of effort on that game in order to make it PERFECT.
Thanks for reading!

monkat

I'd like to see you TRY to ban me. (Should I try?.
Banned
Trophies
Website
www.monkat.net
XP
Country
United States
Cell Shading: Will happen - it's what DQ looks like nowadays.
DVD9: Depends on how they use it / if they even need it
Customizable characters: Depends - some people like it, some don't. I would personally prefer a traditional JRPG
DS Connectivity: If they did, it would be for an extra item or something, so meh.
Classic Controller: it won't use motion control (at least not much) anyway, so who cares?
Storyline: No...shit?
Soundtrack: No...shit?
Long game: Probably will be. Almost guarantee it.
WFC: For what? The only game in the series so far that that would even make sense for is IX....

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
monkat said:
Cell Shading: Will happen - it's what DQ looks like nowadays.
Yup
DVD9: Depends on how they use it / if they even need it
The SHOULD need it. The more content the better!
Customizable characters: Depends - some people like it, some don't. I would personally prefer a traditional JRPG
I personnaly like it customizable
DS Connectivity: If they did, it would be for an extra item or something, so meh.
Everything matters
Classic Controller: it won't use motion control (at least not much) anyway, so who cares?
Classic is better
Storyline: No...shit?
Soundtrack: No...shit?
Long game: Probably will be. Almost guarantee it.
It will surely be
WFC: For what? The only game in the series so far that that would even make sense for is IX....

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
I don't see them using cell shaded graphics for the Wii. They can get away with a lot more in the visuals department then they did with the PS2 or DS and there is enough evidence to prove that the Wii can produce some very nice looking games. It will no doubt be dual layer, DQ8 was like 40 hours on a single layer disc, and they managed to cram around 30 hours of story into a DS cartridge, so they can probably do something epic in presentation for the Wii.

WFC support will no doubt exist, however I am also of the opinion that they need to combine the capture system with the player controlled party building system so that you can have the option of capturing monsters, or even having support for connectivity with the new Dragon Quest Monsters game that is coming out that could allow you to copy over monsters that you have captured and been breeding to DQ10. I think that would be cool, but I do like the class building system in 9, just you need to sink a lot of time to get the maximum potential out of your characters (when you get to level 75+ grottoes in 9, you can get obliterated by the bosses).

I would like to see a more open ended environment and less of the dungeon crawling. That plus the way monsters appear now is kind of annoying, and half of them chase you for miles if you are not above a certain level (heck my party in DQ9 is all level 99 and I still get chased by high level grotto enemies).

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
I don't see them using cell shaded graphics for the Wii. They can get away with a lot more in the visuals department then they did with the PS2 or DS and there is enough evidence to prove that the Wii can produce some very nice looking games. It will no doubt be dual layer, DQ8 was like 40 hours on a single layer disc, and they managed to cram around 30 hours of story into a DS cartridge, so they can probably do something epic in presentation for the Wii.

WFC support will no doubt exist, however I am also of the opinion that they need to combine the capture system with the player controlled party building system so that you can have the option of capturing monsters, or even having support for connectivity with the new Dragon Quest Monsters game that is coming out that could allow you to copy over monsters that you have captured and been breeding to DQ10. I think that would be cool, but I do like the class building system in 9, just you need to sink a lot of time to get the maximum potential out of your characters (when you get to level 75+ grottoes in 9, you can get obliterated by the bosses).

I would like to see a more open ended environment and less of the dungeon crawling. That plus the way monsters appear now is kind of annoying, and half of them chase you for miles if you are not above a certain level (heck my party in DQ9 is all level 99 and I still get chased by high level grotto enemies).
I think it will probably be cell shaded. Even on the few cutscenes of DQ IX the characters are cartoonish cell shaded... Actually I like the style

DSGamer64

Canadian, Eh?
Trophies
XP
Country
Canada
If Toriyama is involved then I am sure they probably will use cell shading. They can get away with a much more powerful engine on the Wii then they ever could on the PS2, and even Final Fantasy 10 and 12 looked pretty good back then. They aren't bound by the power of the console because it is obvious that games can look good on the Wii with realistic graphics like The Conduit and Metroid Prime 3, so I am sure they could do something really nice.

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
DSGamer64 said:
If Toriyama is involved then I am sure they probably will use cell shading. They can get away with a much more powerful engine on the Wii then they ever could on the PS2, and even Final Fantasy 10 and 12 looked pretty good back then. They aren't bound by the power of the console because it is obvious that games can look good on the Wii with realistic graphics like The Conduit and Metroid Prime 3, so I am sure they could do something really nice.
I agree... The enviroments would be well made. Well the only thing that the wii can't do right is trees. Anyway as soon as there's a DQX release date, I'm happy

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gullwing said:
We all know that a new Dragon Quest is in development for the Wii. Actually that's all that we know. But what would make that game perfect?

Hell fucking yeah, I mean just look at those fantastic graphics the PS2 game had
nayps3.gif

dragon-quest-8.jpg

Use of a DVD9
Probably certain, with some new AP too.

Not neccesary for me.

DS Connectivity
Don't give a fuck

Whole hearted yes, and maybe GC controls too?

Great Storyline
YES.

Soundtrack
YES.

Probably certain

Nintendo WFC Support
Downloadable quests, fuck yeah. Internet shop, fuck yeah.

But honestly, just the PS2 game on Wii would make me very very happy.

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Gullwing said:

Hell fucking yeah, I mean just look at those fantastic graphics the PS2 game had
nayps3.gif

dragon-quest-8.jpg

Use of a DVD9
Probably certain, with some new AP too.

Not neccesary for me.

DS Connectivity
Don't give a fuck

Whole hearted yes, and maybe GC controls too?

Great Storyline
YES.

Soundtrack
YES.

Probably certain

Nintendo WFC Support
Downloadable quests, fuck yeah. Internet shop, fuck yeah.

But honestly, just the PS2 game on Wii would make me very very happy.
Since my PS2 got f*cked up 1 week ago, I would love that too XD

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
By the way, excellent topic and starting post!
Hopefully this isn't dead and they are still working on it, because I just checked it and absolutely no info/screen shots or whatever have been released since the announcement in December 2008.

Gullwing

homo
OP
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
Satangel said:
Hopefully this isn't dead and they are still working on it, because I just checked it and absolutely no info/screen shots or whatever have been released since the announcement in December 2008.
The waiting is killing me.. I hope it is a decent title and not a spin off like DQ Swords

synce

だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん
Trophies
XP
Country
Comoros
For me it'd be getting rid of Toriyama as character designer. Is that even possible? I've never been able to get into the series because of him!

Satangel

BEAST
Trophies
XP
Country
Belgium
Gullwing said:
Satangel said:
The waiting is killing me.. I hope it is a decent title and not a spin off like DQ Swords

Well we could deduce that a bit from the development time of DQ 8. I just searched a bit and found that it came out late 2004 in JP.
I tried to find the date it was announced, but didn't find anything (very quick Google, spanning 20 seconds or so).
My guess it's been in development for at least 2 years though, to create such a world takes a long time. So based on those things, you could say for 90% certain that this Wii game will be a full-fledged RPG.

DQ Swords took less that 2 years for being announced and released.

EDIT: Just found out DQ 8 was announced in 2002, and came out around the same time in JP in 2004. So all this shit I've been writing for the last minutes aren't that trustworthy or correct at all
wink.gif
Ah well, worth a try.
The TGS is coming soon, hopefully we see something there.

Guild McCommunist

(not on boat)
Trophies
XP
Country
United States
I'd say if they made it NOT like every other Dragon Quest game and actually made the battle system interesting. Sorry, they can add as much customization and new stuff they want but until they make the turn based combat feel more updated then I won't bother. DQIX felt so boring because the combat was just like a bunch of other turn-based combat games and nothing really stuck out for me.

Site & Scene News

Popular threads in this forum

General chit-chat
Help Users
    BigOnYa @ BigOnYa: Ok good chatting, I'm off to the bar, to shoot some pool, nighty night. +1