what to do with a spare pc?

Discussion in 'Computer Games and General Discussion' started by scrtmstr, Jan 4, 2011.

Jan 4, 2011

what to do with a spare pc? by scrtmstr at 11:50 AM (1,479 Views / 0 Likes) 17 replies

1. scrtmstr
    OP

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    I've got a new pc, and I love it to bits. But I've still got my old pc here, just gathering dust, which is quite a waste.

It's an 2001 Pentium 4 2Ghz, with a 40gb hard drive and 1.25gb of RAM and windows XP installed. I've looked up a couple of things I can do with it, but they are all for older pc's (pentium 2's etc). A media server is kinda pointless, because we've already got one. A network server is an option, but I've got no idea how to set it up.
    so what other stuff can I do with this pc? Every suggestion is welcome, and is appreciated.

2. ThePeon

Newcomer ThePeon Advanced Member

Saudi Arabia

I my self if was you should make Server pc of it always always good to have a server pc or make it your on storage pc put a few hard drives on it and you have like a server hard drive.

3. Matthew

Member Matthew GBAtemp Advanced Fan

United Kingdom
    Host servers, use it as storage, etc. There are many options

4. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    You could always turn it into a NAS. There are free NAS programs on the internet (although I can't remember the links).

5. jonxs

Member jonxs GBAtemp Regular

United Kingdom
    buy an old arcade cabinet and create a mame arcade project, thats what I did [​IMG]
    tons of help on google.

6. 431unknown

Member 431unknown Greatness Awaits

United States

I second this suggestion. I built one about 3 years ago and love it but its time to upgrade the pc inside it badly inorder to keep up with the emutalion times.
    I have enough spare arcade parts (sticks and buttons) to build another if I ever get around to it.

You can also if your handy with carpentry build your own cab. blueprints can be found online for that too.

7. ThePeon

Newcomer ThePeon Advanced Member

Saudi Arabia
    why only mame arcade make it a snes nes and what not arcade hehe >

8. 431unknown

United States

9. jefffisher

Member jefffisher GBAtemp Maniac

United States
    you don't have to do anything with it if you don't need it for anything. give it away or just put it away for a backup.

10. jongknaap

Newcomer jongknaap Newbie

Belgium
  11. 431unknown

United States

Thats just a waste of a computer. I'd wouldn't have a problem with donating it personally if it were mine, but I'd never just put a spare PC in a closet or something especially if it could be used for something. Set it up for folding@home or seti@home there are so many projects it could be setup to help out with.

I have a pretty crappy PC that I use for just burning discs but when its not doing that I run seti@home on it.

12. FireGrey

Member FireGrey Undercover Admin

Australia
    what is ur new ones specs?

13. Mazor

Member Mazor Z80 master arch

Sweden
    You seem to be under a great misconception that PCs cannot be used for anything while in a closet.

I would say closets are some of the best places to put a spare PC, here's mine for instance:
    Warning: Spoilers inside!

The computer can be used as a server and accessed through VNC while no sound from it is emitted to the outside room.

I would recommend everyone to put all their spare PCs in their closets.

Get new closets as necessary.

14. scrtmstr
    OP

Member scrtmstr GBAtemp Advanced Fan

Netherlands
    Intel core i3 530 2.93Ghz
    4gb RAM
    Nvidia G315
    Windows 7

Thanks for all the suggestions guys. The arcade machine is out of question, because I'm not really into arcade kinda stuff.
    A NAS would be a good idea, but wouldn't a server be better? As far as I know, a server uses the power of the pc more, and speeds up the network (which is kinda slow at the moment)
    I've also found a second pc, also P4 2 Ghz and with 80gb HDD, 512mb of RAM, which I can also use for something, maybe fuse them together if that's possible?

15. 431unknown

United States
    Thats nice, but the guy I quoted seemed to imply that it was to just be put in storage until needed.

I'm glad you took the time to show me a pic of a pc you have running in your closet tho. [​IMG]

16. Rogue_Syst3m

Member Rogue_Syst3m GBAtemp Regular

United States
    i would always build a pc out of all my old parts and give to my girl or my bro since they never really had the money or the know how to upgrade.

but other than that the seti or folding@ sounds like a good idea to give back...

17. Originality

Member Originality Chibi-neko

United Kingdom
    No girl I know would be happy with such a hand-me-down. It's either laptops or powerful multimedia PCs (for legally purchased Adobe products).

My brother could make use of extra computers though. One day he came home, hooked up every single computer and laptop in the house (2 high-end PCs and 1 high-end laptop, 4 old budget PCs, 2 tablet laptops and my very old 299Mhz Toshiba) and got the entire network to render his project for him. Took a day and a bit (it was a huge project), but he got high marks for the result.

18. synce

Member synce だいこんちゃんのだいふぁん

United States
    Maybe clean it out and give it someone who needs it... I've done that with several PCs now, it feels great [​IMG]